The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: insulin index

Gino, you've been ripped to fcuk before so you obviously know what works for you. Why bother changes methods now when you know the current one works?
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

MACHINE
    Yeah I know. Just analyzing it a step further so I can maybe get ripped easier.

The biggest surprises to me were beans, brown rice, and white pasta.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

Actually Gino I would see it the other way. I would want a low Insulin response and a high GI repsonse. That way the low level of Insulin would shuttle the high amount of nutrients to muscles, but never really turn anything to fat.

What's your fav. way of getting ripped- since Doc I think it was, said you've done it before?

MACHINE
    Originally posted by aeckhardt
    Actually Gino I would see it the other way. I would want a low Insulin response and a high GI repsonse. That way the low level of Insulin would shuttle the high amount of nutrients to muscles, but never really turn anything to fat.

What's your fav. way of getting ripped- since Doc I think it was, said you've done it before?
    I wasn't really specifying one way or the other. I was referring ONLY to fat storage and not nutrients going to muscles. As far as shuttling nutrients to cell, yes, high insulin response is good. However, as far as fat is concerned, whats one without enough of the other?

High glucose and low insulin = ?
    High insulin and low glucose = ?

My guess is that high amounts of one without much the other won't result in fat gains, but I'm hoping someone could put a more scientific explanation because I'm really lazy. lol

As far as losing bodyfat goes, I have had more success with manipulating my diet than increasing cardio as far as fat loss AND retaining muscle goes. I increase cardio slightly, but it's only low intensity cardio a few times a week.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

I have a question - if beef and fish produce as much if not more insulin than porridge and some fruit, how come you can get into ketosis or maintain it with beef and fish, yet are thrown out of ketosis if any substantial amount of porridge or fruit is eaten (+20-30g worth)?
    "They will spend their nights dreaming of six-pack
    abs and a rock hard physique, little do they realize eventually we will reach
    our goal and they will be dreaming of the body we walk around with every
    dayÖonly then will they understand." -- Severed Ties

"There are 6 billion people in this world, and I'm #1." -- me

1.To enter the state of ketosis you must eat very high amounts of fat which lowers insulin.

2.Fruit refills very fast the liver glycogen stores.

3.When you are in ketosis you don't want glucose running in your blood but ketones.
    So,as far as ketosis is concerned,you better look at the Glucose scores.Insulin will be lowered (by the fat consumption) anyways...

Keep in mind that carbs are converted to glucose at a rate of 100% whereas protein is converted to glucose at a rate of 58% and fat at 90%.

bone crusher
    but fat cannot be converted to glucose (at least in humans) this is because the oxidation of pyruvate is essentially irreversible

haha fcuk.. I meant that fat is converted to ketones at a rate of 90%.

Originally posted by Wizard
    1.To enter the state of ketosis you must eat very high amounts of fat which lowers insulin.

2.Fruit refills very fast the liver glycogen stores.

3.When you are in ketosis you don't want glucose running in your blood but ketones.
    So,as far as ketosis is concerned,you better look at the Glucose scores.Insulin will be lowered (by the fat consumption) anyways...

Keep in mind that carbs are converted to glucose at a rate of 100% whereas protein is converted to glucose at a rate of 58% and fat at 90%.
    You are contradicting yourself. If fat converts to glucose at a rate of 90% then there will be an insulin response. It all depends on how much fat you eat at one sitting. Since no one eats fat by it self, I want to see any of you drink a liter of oil or lard, eating fat with carbs or protein raises the insulin response higher than if you ate the carbs alone or protein alone.

Originally posted by Wizard
    haha fcuk.. I meant that fat is converted to ketones at a rate of 90%.
    HELLO!!!

OK I got really confuse with this. Somebody please explain this in simpler terms. Is this IS saying that beef and fish will spike insulin just like a starchy carb or what?

Originally posted by Prelude
    OK I got really confuse with this. Somebody please explain this in simpler terms. Is this IS saying that beef and fish will spike insulin just like a starchy carb or what?

Anything you eat will more or less cause an insulin response. Some more than others. Beef and fish will cause less of an insulin rush than most carbs.

bone crusher
    what this is saying is that protein's insulin effect is not at all measured by GI. Thus consuming high amounts of protein for fat loss purposes is not a good idea.

also, Gi measures blood sugar, but as you can see for some high gi foods there is relatively little insulin needed for lowering sugar levels.

So on cutting, excess beef = insulin response + fat from beef = fat storage. I see that eggs are not that bad, would that be the same case for chicken or lean cuts of beef or fish. I was surprised that bananas,apples, and grapes did well. But these fruits should still be avoided when cutting, right? I wonder if there is a more complete list for all foods.

but the fat from the beef will 'null' the insulin secretion somewhat.

Fruits avoided during cutting? not necessarily, but definatley moderated in favour of more complex forms of carbohydrate.

If you followed these guidelines to the letter then you're restricting yourself to very little choice and variety and most likely will be restricting the 'best' muscle building foods.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

3:16
    bump.
    its a good one.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.