Thread: Common Misunderstanding: How can lifting less produce more?

Common Misunderstanding: How can lifting less produce more?

A lifting friend asked me the other day: "You say that doing three exercises per muscle group is better than doing five. How is this possible?" Traditionally, I would answer this question by explaining hypertrophy and how once you are past a certain point lifts become futile and can even have negative effects. But before I answered his question I reconsidered. I took something for granted that I think most people are not aware of. A lot of people that lift, lift a lot of different exercizes (5,6,7+) per muscle group per lift for one reason: They aren't lifting hard enough.

I turned to my friend and asked him, before I answered, why he does five exercizes for his chest instead of three. He told me that he does five, because unless he does five he doesn't feel a burn in his chest and he doesn't feel muscle fatigue the next day. Ah-ha! Exactly what I suspected. He was going through his routine without maximizing the weights/reps/volume or any combination. He was lifting but not to his full potential. I suggested that for the rest of his workout he bump up the weights and add a rep to each set and only do three exercizes instead of 5. We were working chest.

The next day at the gym I saw him and he looked like he could barely lift his arms. He said, "holy **** does that ever make a difference. My shoulders, chest, and triceps are on fire today. I am just going to do cardio." I chuckled and told him to definitely rest well during the first stages of a newly adopted routine.

So in summation, two words to all, LIFT HARD. If you think you are lifting as hard as you can, you aren't most likely. Get a spotter and USE him. Especially on your last set you should come damn close to, if not needing, help on your last rep or 2.

Cheers.
    "it's you against you, it's the paradox that drives us all"

6'1", 206, 11.5%
    Bench: 285
    Squat: 275
    DeadLift: 335
    -------------
    Total: 895 and moving up.

Check my progress and read more in My Journal.

Good post. I think we're going to be friends.
    Poo is also LBM - The Built

Yeah good post, In reality it doesnt matter whether you perform 1, 3, 5, 7 exercises, so long as you can progress. Otherwise where is the stimulus.

I go 2 exercises per bodypart and that works fine for ME, whereas i know guys that go 5 exercises high volume and do really well off it, could they do better on less? maybe, maybe not
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

I lifted hard once. The gym people asked me to leave.

DJ

^ LOL.

I'm an advocate of low-sets per exercise. Not because I think I'll get better results but rather because I'm a half-ass lazy bastard.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

same thing happend to me... I had buddy who said he worked out 4hrs a day. First question I asked was how are you progressing? He said not at all and he had been on a plateau forever. I told him to 2-3sets and 6-8 reps per exercise. Also I told him to limit his workout to 90mins. The next time I saw him, well lets just say it made him a believer

Banned
    *waits for someone to bring up how soreness isnt an indicator of growth*

we're not saying there getting better growth, we're saying lifting hard every rep for 2-3exercises is better than half assing them so you can do bench, decline, incline, pullovers, and dips all in one workout.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

"Stimulate. Don't annihilate."

Turned me from an extreme-overdoer to an occasional-overdoer.
    Poo is also LBM - The Built

Quote Originally Posted by greathuskie
    *waits for someone to bring up how soreness isnt an indicator of growth*
    soreness is not an indicator that you're not progressing, yes!
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony