The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

6'2, 250lbs Teenager...Updated*

Hey ladies and gents,
    I've just recently gotten into bodybuilding and the way of life that goes with it. Right now i'm a tad over 6'2, and 245-250lbs. I know I have a good bit of bodyfat, as you may or may not be able to see in the photographs. Current pics are crap...so If anyone needs to see anything else I'll be glad to try and take pics...
    For the past few weeks i've just been training with 15lb dumbells...lol...But I've been upping my caloric and protein intake, and i'm making noticable gains. I would like to cut, but the gains are just so addicting...Suggestions?
    Thanks guys, and girls.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Natty_Lftr; 02-26-2006 at 08:24 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    Couple more....

I really can't see much of anything from those pics. Gotta resize them or something.

From what I could see though, I gotta be totally honest. It's completely your call, but bulking would be the last thing on my mind if I were you. Getting into bodybuilding is a great idea, but first off I'd focus on getting my bf % down to a reasonable number and then beginning a bulk. Like I said, it's hard to tell from the pics. All there really is to go by to get a bf estimate is your chin/neck, and your chest.
    Last edited by Invain; 02-14-2006 at 08:19 PM.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

From those pics you sure dont look 250, but if you are...I wouldent really bulk.
    My sig scared getfit.

I agree you don't look 250... but at your level of development, you can pretty easily cut fat and gain muscle at the same time. Start going to a gym(or get your own weights) and hit the big compounds - squats, deadlifts, rows, bench press, overhead press, pullups - hard and heavy. Do that while improving your diet, and you'll be getting stronger, adding some mass, and chopping off fat in no time.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

Like others said, you probably shouldn't be bulking.

And 15lb dumbells will get you just about nowhere.

If you know what you're maintenance cals are, I would stick at them and lift heavy for 6 mnths or so. You will most likely recomp (lost fat and gain muscle; the holy grail) for most of that period.

After you reap the noobie gains, you can then make a more definite goal. S'what I wish I had done when I first started.
    Poo is also LBM - The Built

15 lb dumbells is not the way of life of a bodybuilder no matter what

Tricep kickbacks make you lose bodyfat!........and dignity
    My sig scared getfit.

Wannabebig New Member
    I'm against the bulking idea too.
    Improve your diet and get some cardio going, along with lifting and you'll cut down in no time.

You do look like you have a good wide base to work with though. Good luck.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for you opinions.

In March I weighed in at 280lbs..and since then i've cut down to a steady ~245lbs through steady dieting.
    I have been thinking alot about this situation, and i have been leaning heavily towards cutting for a while now...
    My plan is basically to eat meal replacement shakes, and chicken breast each day, staying just around or slightly under maintenance levels. I'm going to start running every day, and stay with the lifting too.
    My plan is to weigh in at 200lbs by June, which would mean losing around 10lbs/month. I'm sure this is a healthy amount...
    I'm concidering taking a fat burner, such as Lean Systems 7 or Ripped Fuel.

my suggestion instead of running. get a stationary bike from a garage sale for mega cheap. start timing yourself set goals for cardio. and i agree w/ the above people that bulking up with your bf% wouldn't allow you to see as many gains as if you were at a lower bf% and then trying to gain lean muscle.
    STATS:
    Toronto
    6'0" 210lbs

10 lbs a month is a little optimistic. And why the meal replacement shakes? Food is far more satisfying on a cut.

Good luck on your diet, hope you have a high tolerance for pain. If you plan on doing a crash diet make sure to read up on it before attempting to do it as you can potentially hurt yourself (only way I see you dropping 10lbs or more a month).

Side Note- Meal replacement shakes might not be as satisfying as eating a normal healthy meal (varies on individual basis). You are also doing a high amount of cardio for the purpose of losing weight, which can be very difficult to maintain over a long period of time (cardio is optional).

Edit: Any cardio is a high amount for me (I am lazy like that).
    Last edited by Utopianhopes; 02-15-2006 at 04:45 PM.
    Blood, Sweat, and Years (My Journal)

You WILL hate yourself later if you actually commit to the lifestyle and your legs are lagging.

-Hatred

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    10 lbs a month is a little optimistic. And why the meal replacement shakes? Food is far more satisfying on a cut.
    I would generally say this is true, but some people can get away with mostly shakes. If he doesn't have issues with hunger, I dont see a problem with it.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Beholder
    Tricep kickbacks make you lose bodyfat!........and dignity
    Haha "and Dignity"

Australia - Where the women really go down under!
    10lbs might be a little much every month, but whatever you do lose is still closer to your goal! The bigger you dream the better your achievements will be! Just stick with it mate, and read up on as much about dieting as you can...in a couple of years you can compare pics and you wont know what happened!

Good Luck mate!
    "People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily."

I lost 10 lbs a month for 5 months in a row. It is not that bad.. keep your protien up, up , up.
    >-<->-<->Lift long and prosper<->-<->-<->
    Age 21, Weight 178, Height 5'11.5
    Recent Pics
    Food Journal

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    10lbs a month is fine for someone at his BF% and training experience. When you get to the low teens I'd slow it down.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Grasshoppa
    Quote Originally Posted by Manveet
    I would generally say this is true, but some people can get away with mostly shakes. If he doesn't have issues with hunger, I dont see a problem with it.
    Yah, on my last PSMF, I lived on shakes for 4 weeks. Occassional chicken breast here and there, but I wanted to just drink and go. The first few days are a bit iffy with the stomach, but after that it lightens up. Thermogenics I take tend to blunt my hunger too.

But my problem isn't really being hungry...it's just that I love food. I'd marry it if I could.

I'm not advocating it, mind you, especially for someone new to dieting. I think the most important thing for him right now is to train himself to eat cleaner and less, so whole foods is a better option.
    Last edited by Shao-LiN; 02-20-2006 at 05:48 PM.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the input guys. I know I've got a long road ahead and a lot of fat to burn. This morning I weighed in at 240.5lbs and 6'3.
    I would love to hit 200-210 for June.

My measurements are
    Arms: 15.5"
    Chest: 50"
    Forearms: 13"
    Waist: 38"
    Calfs: 16"
    Quads: 26"

Here's a leg pic...
    Last edited by Natty_Lftr; 02-20-2006 at 09:36 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Here's a back pic and a Trap pic.

I think if I get rid of my love handles, my back will look decent. It's not great, but I think I have some lats to work with.

As for the traps, I have no idea.

Bear in mind I'm a total n00b to lifting, so my body is this large naturally...I think that means I must have pretty good genes.

I'm starting a cut as I said. But once I start bulking again, and lifting heavy, what areas do you think I should work on?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Natty_Lftr; 02-26-2006 at 08:30 PM.

dude, i know i was in your shoes at one point and others were too, but what you really need to do is change your eating habits, some cardio, and lift your a$s off. however much weight you loose by june will be an improvement but dont worry about the small stuff at this point and have fun settin personal bests.
    5'8 7/8

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85900 <------my journal

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. -Arnold Schwarzenegger

The best activities for your health are pumping and humping.
    -Arnold Schwarzenegger

Its all in your power, man. 200 would be a good goal to aim for. Keep lifting hard and good luck

Hey man you gotta a lot of meat to work with and a nice "base" as they would say. Lift heavy and eat lite and you'll be where you want to be. Good luck man. Later.

Ryan
    Fighters are teh bomb -Getfit

Test is test is test is test. It'll all bloat you the same! -BCC