The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Alcohol & Protien

We all know alcohol inhibits protien synthesis. But can anyone tell me where to find more information on it? Being a college student at a party school i'm not going to stop drinking, even though I have managed to cut back.

Can the consumption of protien be done early enough before the alcohol drinking so it is all synthesized by the time you start drinking? How long does the whole syntesis process take, and at what point in that does the alcohol inhibit it? Or does the alcohol continue to inhibit the synthesis long after you are sober? (as into the next day)

Where are the scientific journals on the subject?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

This thread from the Diet & Nutrition forum might help:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=74888

Aries, I am in your same shoes. In fact I have a thread very similar to this that might have some of the answers that you are looking for: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=74888

In short, alcohol will negate protein synthesis and there is not much that you can do about it. Believe it or not, a pint of beer actually stays in your system for 8 hours, even though the buzz is gone after one. Which means that if you drink fairly hard, which I am sure that being a college student, you have done once or twice, your protein synthesis is halted.

What I would recommend. Train really hard Mon-Thurs. Try not to drink until friday night if possible (I know Thursdays are big nights) and just don't get obliterated. While drinking remain as hydrated as possible. I sometimes even go out of the room to down a couple glasses of water in between beers. Yes, you still get drunk. This way your body has a solid two days before hitting they gym hard on Monday again. If you get a good split going this is definitely managable. This is the only "way around it" and I am cautious when I say that because drinking is still going to have negative effects on your gains - that's impossible to beat. Hope this helps.
    "it's you against you, it's the paradox that drives us all"

6'1", 206, 11.5%
    Bench: 285
    Squat: 275
    DeadLift: 335
    -------------
    Total: 895 and moving up.

Check my progress and read more in My Journal.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
    This thread from the Diet & Nutrition forum might help:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=74888
    Sorry Buzz, I should have checked your link first - I duplicated it.

6'1", 206, 11.5%
    -------------

IIRC it takes an hour to metabolise a unit of alcohol. Do some simple math and you can work out how long it should take for the alcohol to metabolise and protein synthesis to resume.

Although a unit of alcohol is metabolized in an hour, its effects can still be felt long after - hence the long hangover after only 8 drinks. It depends a lot on BAC. Also, protein synthesis doesn't start as soon as alcohol is metabolized. Another suggestion is to take a multivitamin prior to going to bed, because alcohol strips you (poisions you) of all your nutrients.

6'1", 206, 11.5%
    -------------

I've said this before. You need to take a look at your priorities. You also need to weigh the actual effects of alcohol on you.

If you train, eat right, and have a few cocktails, you'll be fine. If you have a twin, and they don't drink at all, there will be little if any difference in your physique and performance.

A college kid is a little different, because it's more than a few cocktails, and it will probably have a slight negative effect. You have to weight that slight negative effect on the value you place on consuming large quantities of your beverage of choice.

There is no need to become a celibate no drinking hermit in college unless you are also a very, very, very high level athlete.

Enjoy yourself, don't be stupid, and train your ass off, and manage your diet. You'll be just fine.
    Last edited by Paul Stagg; 02-17-2006 at 07:31 AM.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Well said.

6'1", 206, 11.5%
    -------------

I usually workout Mon-Fri and only drink on saturday night. No more than 6 light beers. It is hard to say no to a beer but 6 days of the week I do
    >-<->-<->Lift long and prosper<->-<->-<->
    Age 21, Weight 178, Height 5'11.5
    Recent Pics
    Food Journal

Thanks for the links, i'm surprized I missed that thread. I do have fairly good control of how much I drink, and I have no real problem turning down a drink. I only really drink on fri or sat, so I'll be able to work my routine around it. Planning your workouts around the nights you drink is a little backwords though heh.

Grasshoppa
    Personally, I never did. I just followed my routine, and if I happened to decide to go out with some friends and get smashed for a night, oh well. I didn't drink weekly, though. Was like once every 2 weeks or so.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Wannabebig Member
    i drink everynight, infact i probably have a drink problem but im lucky as i dont put on fat at all and drinking doesnt affect my working out at all, ive still got a better body than anyone i know, just get your priorities right i guess, as sad as it may sound to u drinking is one of my favourite things and i wouldnt give it up for a better body. doesnt mean im not dedicated to body building cause i am, i just like to have fun too, i also smoke and occasionally take cocaine but someone once said a real tradgedy is going to your grave with a healthy body, i tend to agree.

Wannabebig Member
    just realised im new here and that post isnt gonna make me any friends !! people on body building forums always go so pissed off when i say alcohol doesnt do anything to my work out,

Quote Originally Posted by person22
    doesnt mean im not dedicated to body building cause i am.
    You can have your beer, cigs, coke.. but you cant have our damn dedication too!
    >-<->-<->Lift long and prosper<->-<->-<->
    Age 21, Weight 178, Height 5'11.5
    Recent Pics
    Food Journal

did some research. Results surprising. Although it only takes one hour to metabolize a unit of alcohol (some argue 4), it takes a FULL 8 hours MINIMUM to purge the body of all of the chemicals added to spirits/beers. That is just for ONE unit. Although you may not feel the effects of alcohol the next day, your body is suffering. I am now trying to limit my drinking to 1 night a week - and definitely not a night before a big lift.

6'1", 206, 11.5%
    -------------