The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

First PL competition ( need tips)

Got my first competition on saturday, was wondering if anyone could give tips to a rookie. Im going to compete in the 220 weightclass with my opening lifts as 315-bench 530-squat and 405-deadlift

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

How close are those lifts to your current max's?

you said your max bench was 340 and squat 530. Why are you starting with your max squat?
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

You wanna start real low just to get some numbers in.

Check out this article. This was written by a guy on my PL team and is based on his observations. Very good article!

http://www.chicagopowerlifting.com/Competing.html
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

3:16
    as 1st comp.
    on 1st lift do a weight your get easily. so probably lower the squat a bit.

but most important thing is to relax and enjoy it!!!
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

My tips:

Eat. Make asure you take lots of food and lots of powerade.

Take your own chalk

Take a spare everything - spare wraps, spare singlet, spare underwear.

Take a handler - you'll need someone to wrap your knees, get you in your suit/shirt, and handoff to you for the bench.

Set your openers so there is absolutely no dobt whatsoever. The;ll set the tone of the meet. You'll be a little nervous... you want that squat opener to fly up - If your tested max is 530, I'd set the opener at 405, make it another warmup.

Make a point to talk to other lifters.

Have fun. Don't worry about the numbers for this one. Worry about getting lifts in and learning.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Its 5 in the morning and im gettin ready to head out, gotta be at school in 45 minutes. My lifts are gonna be as follows, i already hit 550 on squat but it was difficult so ima open with 530 then 560 and depending on how that goes ill decide if i want to increase it 10-20 pounds. Bench i was thinking 320,350, then 370 if it goes well. Deadlift is what im worried about cause my numbers i cant get to 500 so ill open with 405, then 425, then 455-475 depending how i feel

If 550 was hard theres no reason to open with 530. Your openning lift is like another warmup and why blow your wad on your first and second lifts. I would go for 455 or something around there as an openner. Same thing with your bench. If your max is 340 dont start at 320 open at 290 or 300 even, get a feel for competition bench. Also remember to FOLLOW COMMANDS, dont press until they say press and dont rack until they say rack.

Too late for this advice and that's why I didn't bother to post it earlier this morning BUT you can open with whatever you want.

REMEMBER though that first impressions are lasting impressions, so if you take a weight that's too challenging and end up shaving it on the shallow-side, then that's the impression that will be left in the judges' minds, "Oh, I really got to watch this guy.. Last time he was shallow...". If you take the first squat clean, confident, and deep, the judges might, just might, cut you a break on later attempts.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

I got dq'd during bench because i use my whole body to push up, i was benching 80+ pounds over everyone else but i got beat in squat cause i was 224 and was in the 245 weight class there was a 19 year old who squated 650. The strongest guy there was "Tiny" from taylor squated 820 benched 480 and deadlifted 620

3:16
    some strong lads in there.

was the 19 year old equipped?

did you get anyone to go through the becnh technique with you, before you lifted?
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Any experience is good experience, did yah have fun?

I had serveral people tell me that if i wanted to compete my bench method was going to be a problem, keeping back and butt on the bench. I usually arch my back and push my whole body to lift which i think is one of the main reasons im hitting around 380 touch and go on it. The guy was a monster big black guy 350+ from taylor high school. It was fun but i got a little tired after 12 hours of lifting. What blew my mind more then anything was the girls, i would of never guessed in my life that there were so many hot girls who liked to lift they were all below 130 weightclasses tho

Nice, so you raise always raise your whole body when you bench?

what did you end up squatting? did you even make a squat since you opened so high?
    Rock Quotes:
    -Girls like big strong men, all the other men has to find a niche or a thing they supposedly love, you know...like saving whales or reading books, to get laid.
    -Look..first I am scared little freezing virgin munk, but then I bare my self and I am nothing like a freezing virgin!
    -Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke, he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    And I'll clench my buttcheeks as hard as I can to keep free of intruders.

journal

I was going to try squattin 600 in my lifts, 485 then 430 then see how it felt from there ive worked with 450+ and done just fine but i blew my second lift so i repeated it for my third and nailed it easy. I ended up doin a box squat on my 2nd and couldnt get low enough cause i wasnt used to workin with a suit and couldnt hit my parallel fast enough i widened my stance and got the lift easy. When I bench i use my whole body my butt comes inches of the bench and i press it all the way up, i always heard powerlifters concidered bench a fullbody workout so i thought id make it that way, only problem is i always get hamstring cramps if i go to heavy before im warm and i cant do that in competitions

I'm sorry, but I really didn't understand your post at all.
    How much did you successfully squat?
    How much did you successfully bench?
    How much did you successfully deadlift?
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook

Squat-530 blew my 2nd lift so had to repeat because i almost racked it
    Bench- Dq'd
    Deadlift- Dq'd

How'd you get dq'd on the deads???

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

more importantly, how did you deadlift if you were dq'd on bench? if you are dq'd on that you cant go on to do the other lifts...
    Last edited by biggimp; 02-20-2006 at 06:31 PM.
    Rock Quotes:
    -Girls like big strong men, all the other men has to find a niche or a thing they supposedly love, you know...like saving whales or reading books, to get laid.
    -Look..first I am scared little freezing virgin munk, but then I bare my self and I am nothing like a freezing virgin!
    -Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke, he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    And I'll clench my buttcheeks as hard as I can to keep free of intruders.

journal

Some meet directors will let you keep lifting even if you bomb out.

By Dead-dq'd i meant i couldnt deadlift because i was dq'd from bench, thought yall would catch that

Iron4Life
    Gee.. whomever Tiny is, he should be list on the World Record Lifting site.. but I don't see him there... I believe that would he would be the first HS'er to squat more the 800.. http://www.apa-wpa.com/super.html

18-19 Non Tested SQ- 605 W. Baker BP-550 J. Ward DL-575 N. Fitzpatrick TOT-1685 W. Baker
    18-19 Drug Tested SQ- 605 W. Baker BP-450 A. Gonzalez DL-550 W. Baker TOT-1685 W. Baker

And his close to 2000 total would blow them away too...

lol thats his nickname i have no idea what his real name is thats what they all call him, there was atleast 3 people squatting over 800 at the meet yesturday regional qualifier. I asked him what he squatted his sophmore year and it was 750 in the last meet, i hate that guy. He totaled over 1900
    Last edited by Jinkies; 02-26-2006 at 02:01 PM.