The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30
  1. #1
    Senior Member pinky8713's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,331

    Joining the US Navy

    I've been interested in joining the military for a while now, but never looked into it at all until recently. A few days ago I met with a recruiter with one of my buddies who's going into the Navy. I learned a lot then and am doing more research now. It's just something i'm seriously interested in/thinking about. I'm sure there's people on this board that have served or are serving in the navy, or any branch of the military. Would anybody like to tell me about their experiences in their branch? The good and the bad?

    I know it's a pretty broad and general question, but thanks.

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    I wannabebig!
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    in my own world
    Posts
    1,818
    good for me = money for school now, opened job oppurtunities, etc...

    bad for me = 100000 bosses

  4. #3
    Big, Strong, Fast Machine MJS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    602
    Just prepare yourself. I have friends in all branches of the military. For each of them the biggest thing was just preparing mentally and having a "no-quit attitude" (which you probably already have since you are on the WBB forums).

    My buddy from the Navy has had a few main gripes. First, no real family life what-so-ever. I am sure that it is possible but being out at sea for 4-6 months at a time is definitely an obsticle to say the least.

    Which brings me to his second gripe - 4 to 6 months at sea. In a tiny cabin. With three other sailors. Who have all been on a boat for 4-6 months. Things get a bit... ugh...

    But, as ryuage said, the jobs that are going to be available to him once he completes his service will be extensive and plentiful. He will have no problem. Also, he got his college paid for which is amazing.

    Whatever you choose to do is the right choice, just make sure you are happy with the ample amount of research that you have completed. Good luck!
    Last edited by MJS; 02-17-2006 at 02:00 AM.
    "it's you against you, it's the paradox that drives us all"

    6'1", 206, 11.5%
    Bench: 285
    Squat: 275
    DeadLift: 335
    -------------
    Total: 895 and moving up.

    Check my progress and read more in My Journal.

  5. #4
    Gonadius Maximus
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Distal Neuron
    Posts
    0
    I was in from 1978 to 1985 as a surgical tech, (enlisted)

    It can be the best choice of your life. If I could do it over I would do it again but this time I would get enough college to go in as comissioned and stay in for 20. If you went in at say 25 you could be collecting some kickass retirement at 45, at say maybee a LT Commander or Commanders pay.

  6. #5
    WBBs motivational Speaker Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Between a girls ties!
    Posts
    4,593
    Just prepare to be sacrificed in a second if there is money to be made for a big company with contacts in the white house and so on.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

  7. #6
    Party of "No." Tryska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    23,193
    yeah - i agree with twisted dendrite - get enough college to go in as commissioned.

    my brother went into the airforce - he went in as commissioned too, and he's jsut finishing up his hitch, and has a job with the NSA. granted his MOS was intel, so that helped, but still he's set up now.

    Many of the guys i work iwth are retired military. they collect their military benefits and pensions, plus have a second income, and pension coming. it's a sweet gig.


    if you don't mind the possibility of being at sea for months at a time, Navy is a good way to go.

    Army allows you more flexibility, Marines could give you the opportunity for either a navy tour or being land based, but they get deployed first when soemthing jumps off. Air Force is cake (even boot camp), but the other branches consider you a pansy. *lol* But the air force is also considered elite.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

    Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!


    Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

  8. #7
    I wannabebig!
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    in my own world
    Posts
    1,818
    if I could do it all over, I would join the air force.

  9. #8
    Party of "No." Tryska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    23,193
    what branch were you in ryuage?
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

    Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!


    Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

  10. #9
    I wannabebig!
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    in my own world
    Posts
    1,818
    just got out of the army last year....

    just imo, airforce were treated better, and had a higher standard of living <-- not my imo but a fact on the second part.

  11. #10
    Party of "No." Tryska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    23,193
    yeah - i agree. AF does get it easier. and you can't really beat a 6-week bootcamp.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

    Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!


    Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

  12. #11
    Wannabebig Member USN1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    49
    Pinky,

    you'll do 9-weeks of Boot camp, which is pretty much get up, go to class, PT, and come back to Barracks. You're going to learn everything from Seamanship to becoming a rifle/pistol expert.

    I've been in the Navy for 4 years, and im planning on re-enlisting. It's been a great experience man. If your single, no kids, and plan on staying that way for a while, it'll be the best time of your life. I was on the USS Blue Ridge(flagship, not a warship), out of Japan for 2 years, nothing but a drunken experience, crawling from bar to bar and whore-house to whore-house every place we pulled in. All we did was go from port to port, hong kong, singapore, japan, australia, guam. If you want to travel, PARTY, and see new places, it's for you.

    If you want to be a Hero, go join the Army or Marines. Good Luck with your decision.


    (P.S. (Australia has the best looking women, and they love navy boys in white uniforms. If you go to Singapore or Hong Kong, watch out for the ladyboys, Japan and Guam definitely have some beautiful women too)

  13. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    439

    Good Luck

    My hitch in the Marines was one of the best things I ever did. If you aren't a smartass or a dumbass you will get through boot okay. That said, we had a couple of guys in my boot platoon who were cross service transfers from the Airforce and they washed out and went back to the AF.

    Good luck with whatever you decided. Give the Marines a look while you are at it. Yeah they send in the Marines first lot's of times but there is a reason for that.

  14. #13
    Wannabebig New Member HahnB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    0
    Joining the Marines at this time might not be the smartest move in the world.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

    Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

  15. #14
    I wannabebig!
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    in my own world
    Posts
    1,818
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeG
    My hitch in the Marines was one of the best things I ever did. If you aren't a smartass or a dumbass you will get through boot okay. That said, we had a couple of guys in my boot platoon who were cross service transfers from the Airforce and they washed out and went back to the AF.

    Good luck with whatever you decided. Give the Marines a look while you are at it. Yeah they send in the Marines first lot's of times but there is a reason for that.
    cuz they are jarheads.

  16. #15
    Re-Dedicated midee1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Flatwoods, Ky
    Posts
    1,865
    Quote Originally Posted by ryuage
    cuz they are jarheads.
    What was the quote....

    Beady eyed, Leather necked, Jar Headed Mother****ers


    Or something..
    Here we go again!

    "I've seen yer mug. Eeeeeeesh gotta feed ya with teh slingshot!"....Mik in reference to clvmike19

  17. #16
    no mass for the lazzy ass kartwheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Minot, ND
    Posts
    210
    i'm currently serving in the air force. i would say its a good gig. i'm not the type that's gun-oh about shoot up, blowem up. we are considered elite. they take good care of us, families included. when i had to evacuate after katrina and drive my wife from mississippi to cali, they payed us like $3000 on top of normal pay and allowances. i've got 1 month left of training on air launched cruise missles. will finish my bachlors while im in my first 4 years, then begin my masters and probably go make some real money.
    Last edited by kartwheel; 02-20-2006 at 12:12 PM.

  18. #17
    Banned David's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    Posts
    2,270
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky8713
    Would anybody like to tell me about their experiences in their branch? The good and the bad?
    I lost 60 pounds in 9 weeks.

    Yeah, I got really sick and sleeping for 6 hours a night while severly undernourished and tired didn't really help. I loved how when you got sick they would let you stay in bed for 24 hours and then it's back to work! I got a really nasty cough that lasted several weeks, I was coughing so badly my chest started to hurt. Also the first few weeks I was there I had constant nose bleeds which I could never figure out. It's almost embarrassing to write this but I must let the truth out.

    Be advised that in the Navy bootcamp you get the least amount of sleep in any of the branches, lights out is at 10pm and ravalli is at 4 fing in the morning. If you get stuck with watch duty at night have fun sleeping 2 or 3 hours a night! You'll feel great the next morning!

    I got a stress fracture in my foot while in bootcamp so I had to say an extra 4weeks which was just wonderful.

    The funniest thing about bootcamp for me was listening to the petty officers or chiefs who were in charge of the divisions. You see, there are a lot of philpino people in the navy and they can't exactly pronounce the "ch" sound, so I would always laugh when they would say "Ok everyone put on your wac caps". I still get a good kick out of it as a matter of fact.

    I think the only reasons for you to join the navy would be 1)money for college 2) seeing the world.

    If you're thinking "I want to serve my country" then I have news for you brother. You can serve your country by doing almost anything as long as it's not selling drugs or helping 17 year old girls murder other girls who talk to their boyfriends.

    Also, you'll make more money working at McDonald's than in the Navy.

    You see it's little details they don't tell you about...like how almost all of your first two paychecks goes BACK TO THE U.S. NAVY to pay for all of your uniforms, supplies, duffel bag, etc. you know, things that you WOULD think are offered to you for free but aren't.

    Little details.
    Last edited by David; 03-03-2006 at 04:29 PM.

  19. #18
    Senior Member bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    va
    Posts
    212
    I think ryuage nailed it. You will make some good friends and have fun.
    Just remember if your on a sub..something like 30 men go down 15 couples come up....crazy sailors I don't know. J/K
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

  20. #19
    Senior Member bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    va
    Posts
    212
    Plus great exercise facilities at most posts.
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

  21. #20
    Formerly Nick Hatfield SW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    4,433
    I've been told by enlisted people I know and also by my grandfather who is a nam vet that the recruiters will say anything to get you in, so be careful what you believe.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

    My Exploits

  22. #21
    Just watch me ... Built's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,916
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Hatfield
    I've been told by enlisted people I know and also by my grandfather who is a nam vet that the recruiters will say anything to get you in, so be careful what you believe.
    Bingo.

  23. #22
    Grasshoppa
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Cerritos, CA
    Posts
    1,670
    That can be said for any recruiter for anything, really. If they want you to join/apply, hell if you want someone else to join with you for something, you're gonna make it sound like it's the greatest thing in the world.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

  24. #23
    Wannabebig Member USN1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    49
    hahahahaha TripleP, damn man. i just had some major flashbacks reading your post. "ok everyone put on wac caps" LOLOLOL. not making fun of filipinos but even american born filipinos in division were laughing at that. and yea, thats true about the food, major underfeeding going on, everyone is a lean, buck-50 when you graduate, NO MATTER WHAT YOUR HEIGHT IS. great post triplep, i enjoyed reading that.



    Quote Originally Posted by TripleP
    I lost 60 pounds in 9 weeks.

    Yeah, I got really sick and sleeping for 6 hours a night while severly undernourished and tired didn't really help. I loved how when you got sick they would let you stay in bed for 24 hours and then it's back to work! I got a really nasty cough that lasted several weeks, I was coughing so badly my chest started to hurt. Also the first few weeks I was there I had constant nose bleeds which I could never figure out. It's almost embarrassing to write this but I must let the truth out.

    Be advised that in the Navy bootcamp you get the least amount of sleep in any of the branches, lights out is at 10pm and ravalli is at 4 fing in the morning. If you get stuck with watch duty at night have fun sleeping 2 or 3 hours a night! You'll feel great the next morning!

    I got a stress fracture in my foot while in bootcamp so I had to say an extra 4weeks which was just wonderful.

    The funniest thing about bootcamp for me was listening to the petty officers or chiefs who were in charge of the divisions. You see, there are a lot of philpino people in the navy and they can't exactly pronounce the "ch" sound, so I would always laugh when they would say "Ok everyone put on your wac caps". I still get a good kick out of it as a matter of fact.

    I think the only reasons for you to join the navy would be 1)money for college 2) seeing the world.

    If you're thinking "I want to serve my country" then I have news for you brother. You can serve your country by doing almost anything as long as it's not selling drugs or helping 17 year old girls murder other girls who talk to their boyfriends.

    Also, you'll make more money working at McDonald's than in the Navy.

    You see it's little details they don't tell you about...like how almost all of your first two paychecks goes BACK TO THE U.S. NAVY to pay for all of your uniforms, supplies, duffel bag, etc. you know, things that you WOULD think are offered to you for free but aren't.

    Little details.

  25. #24
    Still Plugging Away -TIM-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Iowa, USA
    Posts
    4,591
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Hatfield
    I've been told by enlisted people I know and also by my grandfather who is a nam vet that the recruiters will say anything to get you in, so be careful what you believe.
    Recruiters are about as honest as politicians.

    Don't think you will be able to take the training you receive in the military and be able to use that to get a career. You'll have to get your BA before getting anything that pays enough to make a living. The only exception might be those with a highly technical position. Still, most military people I've known end up doing a labor position or something in sales.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

    Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

  26. #25
    Party of "No." Tryska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    23,193
    Quote Originally Posted by bill
    I think ryuage nailed it. You will make some good friends and have fun.
    Just remember if your on a sub..something like 30 men go down 15 couples come up....crazy sailors I don't know. J/K
    *lol* You know why they put Marines on the boats, yeah?




    So the sailors have someone to dance with.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

    Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!


    Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •