Thread: Getting back into lifting..PLEASE CRITIQUE

Getting back into lifting..PLEASE CRITIQUE

I have been away from lifting for over 2 years. I have maintained my body pretty well as I am an Arborist. I am looking to gain strength. Size doesnt matter I will not bicker if I gain or lose it. But I would like to get a little more cut. I am 23, 5'10'', 190 lbs, about 14-16% BF (I will know for sure wednesday).

I have posted this on another forum also so any of you that are on both, sorry.

MONDAY SHOULDERS and TRAPS

Military Press 2 Sets X 10
    Arnold Press 2 sets X 10
    Side Raises
    Rear Raises
    Upright rows
    Shrugs (Barbell)
    Shrugs Dumbell...alternating each week

TUESDAY BACK and BI

Deadlift
    Lat Pulldown 4 Sets
    Bent Over Rows (Barbell) (done to the stomach)
    Seated Cable rows (done to the chest)

Preacher Curls
    Seated Hammer Curls
    Reverse Preacher Curls

THURSDAY CHEST and TRI

Inlcine Press (Dumbbell)
    Flat Bench
    Cable Crosses

Skull Crushers
    Tricep Pulldown
    Kickbacks

FRIDAY LEGS

Squats
    Dumbell Lunges
    Leg Sled
    Calf Raises

I will be doing everything 4 sets at least 10 reps. Last set will be done to failure.

All exercises are in the order they will be done.

*PLEASE CRITQUE*
    God created liquor to keep the Irish from conquering the world.

Good strength program is Bill Starr's 5x5 (or maybe Max OT--even tho' it's a one body part per day routine)
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

10 rep deads may not be such a great idea - lower rep ranges can be more helpful in this regard.

4 sets of 10 is kinda high volume.

Kickbacks are a bit of a useless exercise IMHO

Here's a good routine:

Monday: left bicep, right tricep
    Tuesday; right pec, left lat
    Wednesday: left quad, right hamstring
    Thursday: right lat, left delt
    Friday: left tricep, right bicep
    Saturday: right delt, left pec
    Sunday: left hamstring, right quad

Not really. But it illustrates why it's funny to design routines based on body parts. The body works as a unit. If you want to maximize strength and performance - train it as a unit.

If you want to get stronger, stop thinking about body parts and start thinking about movements. Deadlifts, squats, cleans, over head presses, chinups, dips, rows, etc.

The more work you do standing on your feet, the better.

The more work done with free weights, the better.

Drop all of your tricep and bicep exercises - they are useless.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Would doing chin-ups one day and pull-ups the next everyday be bad? In other words will it hurt my progress in other areas becuase I am wearing those muscles out?

Anthony I see what you mean. If you have the time or care to take the time could you draw me up a lil something that will last the next 2-3 months? Then I will be wanting to cut-up.

I have never heard of this type of training. I must have learned from morons or they were really old school.

Boston Bull - why not try this: http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=255

I mostly agree with Anthony on direct arm work - I don't feel it's entirely useless for everybody, but it's often true that you see the best arms on BB who hardly do any direct arm work. The split I just offered you has some direct arm work, but you can leave it out if you feel you don't need it.

Quote Originally Posted by BostonBull
    I have never heard of this type of training. I must have learned from morons or they were really old school.
    I hope you know I was being sarcastic with the "routine" I posted above. Body part routines are popular because of magazines and bodybuilders, but they aren't as efficient as other options. Would you make progress with a body part routine? Sure. Would you make better progress with a routine based on movements? Absolutely.

As someone already stated, you should look into 5x5, and also GPP (general physical preparedness), and the olympic lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    Here's a good routine:

Monday: left bicep, right tricep
    Tuesday; right pec, left lat
    Wednesday: left quad, right hamstring
    Thursday: right lat, left delt
    Friday: left tricep, right bicep
    Saturday: right delt, left pec
    Sunday: left hamstring, right quad

Not really. But it illustrates why it's funny to design routines based on body parts. The body works as a unit. If you want to maximize strength and performance - train it as a unit.

If you want to get stronger, stop thinking about body parts and start thinking about movements. Deadlifts, squats, cleans, over head presses, chinups, dips, rows, etc.

The more work you do standing on your feet, the better.

The more work done with free weights, the better.

Drop all of your tricep and bicep exercises - they are useless.
    I agree
    The difference between the freaks and the flock is the ****ing fork!
    You wanna gain weight? Then it's time to squat!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    I hope you know I was being sarcastic with the "routine" I posted above. Body part routines are popular because of magazines and bodybuilders, but they aren't as efficient as other options. Would you make progress with a body part routine? Sure. Would you make better progress with a routine based on movements? Absolutely.

As someone already stated, you should look into 5x5, and also GPP (general physical preparedness), and the olympic lifts.

I absolutely knew that the routine yo outlined was useless. i am interested in the routine outlined by built...and the second one you mentioned.

Okay, just making sure!

Built's routine is more of a bodybuilding routine. It's probably good for what it is, but I wouldn't use it for building strength. There's too much use of machines and non effective movements (arms, lateral raises, calf raises, etc) when it comes to building power and strength.

The 5x5 program is really great for strength. This thread http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68772 has A LOT of info. It will take some time to go through, but you should really take a read. If you decide on 5x5, I suggest using the protocol as written.

Good luck!