The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 69
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    63

    10x3 workout. Good for Mass?

    ive been on a 3set of 6-8rep workout for 8 weeks now. Im thinking of changing to 10sets of 3. Is this good for building mass?

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    permanently bulking Titanium_Jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    1,777
    Uhh...... be a little more specific. How many sets of what exercises would you do on which days, etc. and are you talking about upping the weight to where you can ONLY do 3 reps until failure, or just keeping the same weight, less reps, less intensity but more sets? More details!
    "I would have had sex with a pornstar, slapped a bitch and stole someone's dog." - deeder
    "Ever heard the term "screwing like rabbits? There's a reason it came about, and it has nothing to do with putting up drywall." - mrelwooddowd
    "If you are looking for a workout that will make you sore, you need to reassess your priorities, and perhaps look for an S&M club in your area." - Paul Stagg
    "I do encourage that people laugh at the fact I've put ass creme on my face." - Rock Steady
    "I look like a condom full of walnuts." - Risk10k
    "...the mothers would hang out of the window to get a piece of my little peanut ass and my bronzelike skin." - Rock

  4. #3
    Sculpted by Science brickt.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Land of Oz
    Posts
    1,015
    Chad Waterbury swears by it. Sounds interesting.

    http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle....5-011-training
    Poo is also LBM - The Built

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    63
    ya i saw the chad waterbury. Heres a diff link on the 10x3 routine, (the one i was thinking of follwing) http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...1/ai_n13504307

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    248
    Sounds interesting. Maybe I'll give it a try for a week or two and see what kind of results I get.

  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    209
    The routine works, it is good for the big 3 and also for people having trouble with pull-ups and dips.

  8. #7
    Noob Now, Master Tomorrow
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    49
    I was thinking of changing my set/rep routine around because i found that my deadlifts were improving alot more then my bench and squat.My bench and squat was 5x5 and my deadlift was 6x3.

    So i might give this a go on the big three.

  9. #8
    Senior Member DumbDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    FLorida
    Posts
    128
    who wants to be the first to outline an over all workout ?
    hows this look for chest day
    10x3 flat bench
    3x8 incline bench
    3x10 flys

    also what should bi,tri exercises look like with this ?
    >-<->-<->Lift long and prosper<->-<->-<->
    Age 21, Weight 178, Height 5'11.5
    Recent Pics
    Food Journal

  10. #9
    Sculpted by Science brickt.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Land of Oz
    Posts
    1,015
    I imagine something like the following for the big muscles groups would rock:

    Flat BB Press 10 x 3
    Incline DB Press 3 x 8-10

    Same setup for Deads, Squats, Military Press
    Poo is also LBM - The Built

  11. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    209
    Quote Originally Posted by DumbDude
    who wants to be the first to outline an over all workout ?
    hows this look for chest day
    10x3 flat bench
    3x8 incline bench
    3x10 flys

    also what should bi,tri exercises look like with this ?
    Chad Waterbury advocates more full body training, and I definitely agree with him - split body part routines are boring, time consuming, and not as effective unless you're at the very advanced stages of bodybuilding.

    A typical upper body workout emphasizing 10x3 would include something like:

    Barbell flat bench 10x3 with 5 RM, 60-70 seconds rest after each exercise (Do bench, rest, do rows, rest, bench, repeat).
    Supersetted with
    Bent over barbell rows

    Then maybe:

    Weighted pullups 4x6 (60-70 seconds rest between exercises)
    supersetted with
    Barbell military press or dips

    Something of that nature. What you have mentioned above is too typical and the rep ranges are all over the place.

  12. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadlifter
    Chad Waterbury advocates more full body training, and I definitely agree with him - split body part routines are boring, time consuming, and not as effective unless you're at the very advanced stages of bodybuilding.

    A typical upper body workout emphasizing 10x3 would include something like:

    Barbell flat bench 10x3 with 5 RM, 60-70 seconds rest after each exercise (Do bench, rest, do rows, rest, bench, repeat).
    Supersetted with
    Bent over barbell rows

    Then maybe:

    Weighted pullups 4x6 (60-70 seconds rest between exercises)
    supersetted with
    Barbell military press or dips

    Something of that nature. What you have mentioned above is too typical and the rep ranges are all over the place.
    This sounds good. so would doing this upper body wokrout dont on Mon. then a lower body workout done on thursday be ok or is that to infrequent?

  13. #12
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    21

    Full body

    Theres alot to be said for full-body workouts... but there is alot to be said for isolation also.

    Personally, when I was doing full-body I felt like I was doing both too little and too much at the same time. Not working what I wanted to work to get definition in the right spots while overtraining core groups.

    I do not think isolation is only for people 'in the later stages of bodybuilding' because this is a lifestyle. It may have an origin in your life, but may not have an end. I am not talking about competition level stuff here... but staying fit, keeping in shape, and making gains where you want them.

    Just make sure whatever approach you take works for you and that you do not neglect or overemphasize things.

    That said, I think the Flat bench, incline, and fly workout is a good chest set. I wouldn't do it more than once per week because of my shoulders... but you may like to do it more. I generally do the reps to failure and aim for 4 sets of 8-12 reps while building the weight up like a pyramid if I can. If you average them, this works out to roughly 3 sets of 10 and a warmup with a bit of room to move on the reps if you feel like really pushing it or taking it a little easier.

    Hope this helps,

    -V
    Last edited by Vayu; 02-18-2006 at 06:14 AM.

  14. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    cleveland, uk
    Posts
    0
    All the above is good information. Just to throw this out their no matter what routine you are doing if your diet isnt good and your not in a calorie surplus then you wont be gaining much mass really. How is your diet and calls etc. Are you much over maintanance??
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

    weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

    Goals

    200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

  15. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    209
    The full body programs are often misunderstood, because you do not do the same routine twice in a week.

    Instead, it would be about 3 times per week, with a completely different workout on each day. There would also be certain movements emphasized in one workout, such as horizontal movement, vertical movement, lateral movement, hip dominant, or quad dominant exercises. The emphasis is still to not train muscle groups, but to train movements.

  16. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    0
    I've been on WBB1 for a while now and it's getting kinda boring.

    I just got a set of weights so I'm working out at home now with no equipment at all. I'm starting to do more full body movements now and really liking it.

    I had greater initial mass gains on WBB1 (but maybe that was just because I was starting out) but I've had much greater strength gains from the full body stuff.

    I hope to use that strength I just gained and do WBB1 again and bump my mass up again.

  17. #16
    Senior Member Meat_Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    3,315
    Quote Originally Posted by DumbDude
    who wants to be the first to outline an over all workout ?
    hows this look for chest day
    10x3 flat bench
    3x8 incline bench
    3x10 flys

    also what should bi,tri exercises look like with this ?
    That would be a terrible 10x3 workout. Do one like Deadlifter outlined, otherwise the method won't be very effective and you'll burn out.

    Body part split routines blow. The notion that they are better than full body or upper/lower splits has been beat down time and time again by scientific evidence and the experience of many big, strong, SOB's.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

  18. #17
    Senior Member DumbDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    FLorida
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by xMeat_Headx
    That would be a terrible 10x3 workout. Do one like Deadlifter outlined, otherwise the method won't be very effective and you'll burn out.

    Body part split routines blow. The notion that they are better than full body or upper/lower splits has been beat down time and time again by scientific evidence and the experience of many big, strong, SOB's.
    I see great gains with a "body part split routine." I am gona try it like I outlined and if my gains dont keep coming I might try the lower/upper route.
    >-<->-<->Lift long and prosper<->-<->-<->
    Age 21, Weight 178, Height 5'11.5
    Recent Pics
    Food Journal

  19. #18
    Senior Member Meat_Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    3,315
    Quote Originally Posted by DumbDude
    I see great gains with a "body part split routine." I am gona try it like I outlined and if my gains dont keep coming I might try the lower/upper route.
    At 5'11 178lbs, you could see great gains on any routine. That doesn't mean its the best way to go!
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

  20. #19
    Proud Father Maki Riddington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    5,324
    Quote Originally Posted by xMeat_Headx

    Body part split routines blow.
    I think that's a bit of a close minded statement. Both approaches have their own unique benefits. Use both, why limit yourself to only one approach?
    Maki Fit Blog

    At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

    "Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

    "I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

    "Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

  21. #20
    Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Yeongsan. South Korea
    Posts
    5,907
    Quote Originally Posted by xMeat_Headx
    (1) Body part split routines blow. (2) The notion that they are better than full body or upper/lower splits has been beat down time and time again by scientific evidence and the experience of many big, strong, SOB's.
    1. No they don't.

    2. No it hasn't.

    We have had this discussion already, and I asked you for reputable solid links for either the scientific evidence or these "big, strong SOB's" personal experiences. You failed to provide either.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 02-19-2006 at 03:39 AM.

  22. #21
    Senior Member Meat_Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    3,315
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeAnabolic
    1. No they don't.
    Alright, they don't blow. They're superior to sitting on your ass with a bag of chips for hypertrophy.

    Give a single reason why they are better, or ever COMPARABLE to full body or upper/lower routines.

    2. No it hasn't.
    Ya you're right, all those powerlifters, olympic lifters, strongmen competitors, football players, soccer players, basketball players, olympians, etc. have no idea what they're doing. They'd OBVIOUSLY be better off training one muscle group a day...

    We have had this discussion already, and I asked you for reputable solid links for either the scientific evidence or these "big, strong SOB's" personal experiences. You failed to provide either.
    I don't need to give links to the most obvious and basic concept in all of strength training - that your body works as a unit.

    That concept has been utilized by the biggest and strongest people alive since the beginning of modern weightlifting. Its not something anyone needs to 'prove' or 'provide evidence for'. Ample evidence exists to anyone who doesn't buy into Weider concepts that have become the mainstay of modern bodybuilding.

    I'll give you a couple links though, so you can begin to educate yourself in that area:

    http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do...ydra?id=933431

    From that link, full body routines = Greater Frequency Per Muscle Group, Greater Energy Expenditure Per Workout, Greater Depletion Leading to Greater Supercompensation, and Greater Anabolic Hormone Stimulation.

    On the other hand, the only benefits from split routines identified are:

    Less Fatigue = Greater Loads... because you only stress a single muscle group in a workout(which is functionally impossible, therefore inferior by concept) you are less tired overall. I give this some credit, except that if your lowerback and hamstrings are fried from your back workout, you're going to have a hard time working legs or playing a sport or whatever for 2-4 days afterwards.

    Greater Attention Per Muscle Group... this is pretty pointless, because the greater attention per muscle group comes at the expense of stimulating that and other muscle groups less frequently(detrimental to hypertrophy).

    Less Apt to Overtrain... this is generally true, although it depends on the specific muscle groups you're talking about. That is, you can overtrain very quickly on bodypart split routines because you're beating the hell out of a large muscle group specifically every session, but 16 sets of curls isn't going to overtrain you very quickly(obviously).

    Here's another, by another one of the most highly respected gurus in the world:

    http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle....4-073-training

    And another piece of gold by Waterbury:

    http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle....4-068-training

    Perform Full-Body Workouts!

    Training all of the major muscle groups in a single session has too many benefits to list, but I can tell you that itís one of the most important pieces of a hypertrophy puzzle!

    Bill Starrís The Strongest Shall Survive was based on this idea, but even before Starr learned to write, old-time strongmen were challenging their entire body with every damn training session throughout the week, and they were some big, strong sumbitches! I took note and you should too.

    Not only will you be able to minimize your trips to the gym, but youíll be frequently exposing your major muscle groups to a much greater level of stimulus. This is combined with the fact that the androgen response increases when many major muscle groups are being taxed in a single session.

    Just remember to keep isolation exercises to a minimum because you want to be in and out of the gym in less than an hour. If not, overtraining will probably ensue.

    And yet another, from yet another world respected guru:

    http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle....5-209-training

    Cosgrove:

    4) BODYPART SPLITS

    I think my mission in life is to rid the world of this ridiculous workout notion. Somehow this highly developed organism that we call the human body is not a remarkable piece of machinery that functions flawlessly as a unit, it's just random ass "parts" put together ó each of which can be worked separately.

    My arse.

    You didn't even turn your computer on using only one muscle so why in God's name are you trying to develop a body using some sort of body part split?

    And while I'm on the subject, how come fingers and toes don't get their own "day"?

    Biceps get their own special recognition, what about fingers and toes and sternocleido mastoids? Or left arm on one day, right arm on another day (different body parts)? Because it's stupid, right? Well, so is splitting up your chest and shoulder "days".

    There are NO athletes other than a small bunch of genetically gifted, pharmaceutical abusing individuals who use a "body part" split with any success. NONE.

    Now, if you ARE one of the genetic elite pharmaceutical abusers, then feel free.

    Split routines arrived on the scene shortly after Dianabol was popular. Do you see the connection?

    Now before you ask me, "Can I split up my routine in some way?" Of course you can. But split it up based on what your body DOES, not based on what "part" it is. Splitting up by parts makes as much sense as splitting up by the number of freckles in that area.

    More Cosgrove:

    And despite me talking about it at length, the average reader is still on some sort of "body part split." Body part splits appeared at the same time as drug use increased in bodybuilding. A drug-free guy with a job and any kind of life outside the gym will make better progress long term using full body routines or movement pattern splits.

    -----

    I can spit this stuff out all day, but there's a wealth of information on this topic that you could find with little effort. I'm not saying split routines are worthless, perhaps my wording was too strong. But compared to full body routines, there is literally NO reason to do them unless you are loaded with anabolics.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

  23. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    cleveland, uk
    Posts
    0
    But the OP is looking for a routine for mass not strength as youve stated in the above post that body part split isnt good at all. All your examples seem to be for strength training which this person has not asked for. I know these come hand in hand and appreciate all of the above info and agree with allot of it. After trying different methods like listed above with upper/lower - push/pull and BCC pre contest training program and after trying all of these i personally still prefer body part routine. Wether this is because i started doing it like this or what ever i dont know but for mass gains and hypertrophy as long as your working the muscle and eating right you are going yo get mass gains which is what the originale poster asked for.
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

    weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

    Goals

    200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

  24. #23
    Senior Member Meat_Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    3,315
    True HILL, but as you said strength and size are extremely closely related. As long as you're getting stronger and eating enough, you'll be gaining mass. Its also damn difficult to gain mass without gaining strength. All in all, the most effective way to gain size and strength is not through bodypart split routine training.

    Also, I consider push/pull/leg routines to be pretty much full body training, assuming you're doing the right exercises. I.E. when you do rows on back day, you're training your back, biceps, shoulders, and legs. When you do deadlifts or squats on leg day, you're training your legs, back, and pretty much everything else. When you do overhead presses(most types of overhead pressing) and bench pressing, you're training your shoulders/tris/pecs and core. There's no way around full body training really(if you are doing the exercises everyone should be doing), so the basic concept behind bodypart split training is flawed.
    Last edited by Meat_Head; 02-19-2006 at 02:52 PM.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

  25. #24
    Senior Member DumbDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    FLorida
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by xMeat_Headx
    At 5'11 178lbs, you could see great gains on any routine. That doesn't mean its the best way to go!
    LoL well I could say alot about your stats too . Anyway, I think you place way too much emphasis on what other people are doing. Just because you see these "Big mofo's" or whatever in your gym doing stuff... doesnít mean itís going to work for everyone. As long as you are seeing gains then stick with a workout. When they stop, change it up. The best thing might be a good combination.
    >-<->-<->Lift long and prosper<->-<->-<->
    Age 21, Weight 178, Height 5'11.5
    Recent Pics
    Food Journal

  26. #25
    Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Yeongsan. South Korea
    Posts
    5,907
    Quote Originally Posted by xMeat_Headx
    Alright, they don't blow. They're superior to sitting on your ass with a bag of chips for hypertrophy.

    Give a single reason why they are better, or ever COMPARABLE to full body or upper/lower routines.



    (1) Ya you're right, all those powerlifters, olympic lifters, strongmen competitors, football players, soccer players, basketball players, olympians, etc. have no idea what they're doing. They'd OBVIOUSLY be better off training one muscle group a day...



    I don't need to give links to the most obvious and basic concept in all of strength training - that your body works as a unit.

    (2) That concept has been utilized by the biggest and strongest people alive since the beginning of modern weightlifting. Its not something anyone needs to 'prove' or 'provide evidence for'. Ample evidence exists to anyone who doesn't buy into Weider concepts that have become the mainstay of modern bodybuilding.

    I'll give you a couple links though, so you can begin to educate yourself in that area:

    http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do...ydra?id=933431

    From that link, full body routines = Greater Frequency Per Muscle Group, Greater Energy Expenditure Per Workout, Greater Depletion Leading to Greater Supercompensation, and Greater Anabolic Hormone Stimulation.

    On the other hand, the only benefits from split routines identified are:

    (3) Less Fatigue = Greater Loads... because you only stress a single muscle group in a workout(which is functionally impossible, therefore inferior by concept) you are less tired overall. I give this some credit, except that if your lowerback and hamstrings are fried from your back workout, you're going to have a hard time working legs or playing a sport or whatever for 2-4 days afterwards.

    Greater Attention Per Muscle Group... this is pretty pointless, because the greater attention per muscle group comes at the expense of stimulating that and other muscle groups less frequently(detrimental to hypertrophy).

    (4) Less Apt to Overtrain... this is generally true, although it depends on the specific muscle groups you're talking about. That is, you can overtrain very quickly on bodypart split routines because you're beating the hell out of a large muscle group specifically every session, but 16 sets of curls isn't going to overtrain you very quickly(obviously).

    Here's another, by another one of the most highly respected gurus in the world:

    http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle....4-073-training

    And another piece of gold by Waterbury:

    http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle....4-068-training

    Perform Full-Body Workouts!

    Training all of the major muscle groups in a single session has too many benefits to list, but I can tell you that it’s one of the most important pieces of a hypertrophy puzzle!

    (5) Bill Starr’s The Strongest Shall Survive was based on this idea, but even before Starr learned to write, old-time strongmen were challenging their entire body with every damn training session throughout the week, and they were some big, strong sumbitches! I took note and you should too.

    (6) Not only will you be able to minimize your trips to the gym, but you’ll be frequently exposing your major muscle groups to a much greater level of stimulus. This is combined with the fact that the androgen response increases when many major muscle groups are being taxed in a single session.

    (7) Just remember to keep isolation exercises to a minimum because you want to be in and out of the gym in less than an hour. If not, overtraining will probably ensue.

    And yet another, from yet another world respected guru:

    http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle....5-209-training

    Cosgrove:

    4) BODYPART SPLITS

    I think my mission in life is to rid the world of this ridiculous workout notion. Somehow this highly developed organism that we call the human body is not a remarkable piece of machinery that functions flawlessly as a unit, it's just random ass "parts" put together — each of which can be worked separately.

    My arse.

    You didn't even turn your computer on using only one muscle so why in God's name are you trying to develop a body using some sort of body part split?

    And while I'm on the subject, how come fingers and toes don't get their own "day"?

    Biceps get their own special recognition, what about fingers and toes and sternocleido mastoids? Or left arm on one day, right arm on another day (different body parts)? Because it's stupid, right? Well, so is splitting up your chest and shoulder "days".

    (8) There are NO athletes other than a small bunch of genetically gifted, pharmaceutical abusing individuals who use a "body part" split with any success. NONE.

    Now, if you ARE one of the genetic elite pharmaceutical abusers, then feel free.

    (9) Split routines arrived on the scene shortly after Dianabol was popular. Do you see the connection?

    Now before you ask me, "Can I split up my routine in some way?" Of course you can. But split it up based on what your body DOES, not based on what "part" it is. Splitting up by parts makes as much sense as splitting up by the number of freckles in that area.

    More Cosgrove:

    And despite me talking about it at length, the average reader is still on some sort of "body part split." Body part splits appeared at the same time as drug use increased in bodybuilding. A drug-free guy with a job and any kind of life outside the gym will make better progress long term using full body routines or movement pattern splits.

    -----

    (10) I can spit this stuff out all day, but there's a wealth of information on this topic that you could find with little effort. I'm not saying split routines are worthless, perhaps my wording was too strong. But compared to full body routines, there is literally NO reason to do them unless you are loaded with anabolics.

    Oh dear oh dear where to begin to correct the assumptions, misunderstanding, and completly wrong claims in this post?

    (numbers are mine)

    1. Many of these people utilize split body part routines. How can you claim that ALL of these athletes use a full body routine? Unless you have seen each and every one you can not possible make this claim. Some train one way, other train another way. I doubt that all these people or even a vast majority train with full body routines.


    2. Who are these "biggest and strongest people"? Names? Dates? Styles of training? Again how do you know this?

    3/4. The benefits from split body training are fairly obvious. Try to train like this in a single workout fullbody. 3 20 rep squats followed by pullovers (use your max squat for 15). Next use a 5*5 for deadllift (use your max dead 8) Follow that with a 5*5 bench press (again with a max of 8). Now do supersets (3) for biceps and triceps and finish that off with standing calf raises and ab work. Very few people would be able to do that kind of work in one session and not for very long without overtraining unless they are on gear and have good genetics to boot.
    Now you say, well why not reduce the volume? I train hard and heavy. Doing work that is well within your abilities, is not going to create an adaptive response. I don't know about you, but after I have finished a squat or deadlift workout, I am literally incapable of doing more. I have trouble walking down the stairs.

    5. So because people MAY have done it this way a long time ago, does that mean we should do it? They wrote letters by hand too. Should we throw out our typewritters and computers as well and write by hand?

    6. If you are able to focus more intensity on legs or back, you will be able to develop a very strong androgen response as well. I would be willing to bet that the androgen difference between the two styles is pretty small.

    7. You will be out of the gym sooner with a split routine...but I agree with the isolation exercises. I'm not a big fan of them.

    8. This is absolutely false. I and many people on this forum have seen good gains on a split body part. I went from 140 lbs to 205 lbs. There are a lot of people who use steroids and still haven't made such gains. And I am and have always been 100% drug-free. In fact I have never even taken any supplements like whey protein or creatine. Anyway you can tell that it is false, simply because he claims that there are NO athletes who use a body-part split with any success. Unless he has personally seen how every single athlete in the world has trained (an obvious impossibility) that is at best an unproven assertation and at worst a complete falsehood.

    9. Split routines may have become popular when Dianabol arrived, but they were used before that. And anyway to make the claim that there is a connection between the two simply because they arrived at around the same time, is a logical fallacy.

    10. I am glad you are agreeing that they are not worthless.

    Finally just because a couple of Internet "gurus" say something, doesn't make it so. .."one of the most highly respected gurus in the world"? Please, he writes for an online site. That doesn't exactly make him world-famous. Brad Pitt is world-famous, yet his physique is not something I exactly aspire to.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 02-19-2006 at 10:16 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •