Thread: I am new to gaining muscle

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

I am new to gaining muscle

I want to be detailed for you guys, to understand what I am looking to do:

Alright well as of now, I weigh 120-125 lbs, I am about 5"7. I have skinny arms and skinny legs, and a bit more fat on my core/mid section than I should have for that weight. I have always been like this, fat was never really distributed throughout my body, even when i weighed 175lbs, I had a big big mid section and small arms and "chicken legs". I dont know why.

Now that I have gone down to this weight, I have decided to enroll into a gym. I want to increase my muscle mass, get cut... You know just look and feel good. I am a beginner in all of this, I don't even know how much I can lift and stuff.

Here is my delimma
    I don't want to lose anymore weight. Yet I want to get a ripped core, well just trim down my midsection and of course get bigger arms and legs. Is it possible for me to harden my "core", and gain weight with muscle?

This is what I was thinking, Cardio as in walking/jogging on the treadmills for about 30 minutes before using weights. Then an hour of weights. Can you guys help me out, I know most of you are in tip-top shape, Also, reccommend me some high-protein foods, or smoothies I can make.

If you guys know of a great routine for me with the rest days and such. please post them. I am starting this coming monday morning at 5am...First day at a gym. I know resting is key and eating healthy. Thank you very much.

Read all the stickies, read the articles on the main page, and read and start the WBB1 routine on the mainpage. Diet is key, get it in check. Read all the fun stuff in the diet forum.
    Nick V

Good for you bro. It'll change your life. And definitely check out the stickies as Unreal said.

Wannabebig Member
    Thank you very much you 2. I know the sky is the limit when it comes to my body and such. The thing is I don't want to be huge. I want to be nice, fit and healthy. I was just wondering, I don't want to get to excited, but since I have recently lost about 40lbs in the past 6 months. I have read if I start eating alot and weight training, I should be seeing results somewhat immediatly, Since the "fat" that was theire will try and go back, but it will be built up as muscle. I hope this is true.

On a side note: I am really looking forward to being apart of this community, from what I have seen so far in posts within this topic, and other topics, you people are very knowledgable in your "craft" of weight lifting. If it wasnt for you guys, I would still be here not doing much of anything. So thanks for all the info you guys post up, when newbs like me need help.

Also, when I said I didnt wanna be big, this is the type of body I want:
    http://tinyurl.com/95nyp
    (Of course, its Tyler durden himself :P)
    I was wondering, How long would this take? Since I really have no muscle at all right now, just scrawny legs and arms. I know I will be committed, since I went from eating triple meat hamburgers at wendy's, to veggie delights at subway (this is how I lost 40 lbs in 6 months).

Once again: I really appreciate your up and coming replies, If you guys have personal combo's, smoothies , etc...of great food recipes with a good amount of fat/protein/carbs, please feel free to post. If not, just let me know what you think of my overall "Future Adventure!"
    Last edited by murdoc52; 02-17-2006 at 08:47 PM.

It'll take you less than a year to get that body if you train hardcore and your nutrition is spot on. If you're between ages 13 and 21, even less time. But once you get there, I guarantee you will want more.

No cardio before you lift. After is fine - better yet, on a separate day - but not before.

Make sure you squat and do deadlifts. Nothing will do more for your whole body.

Wannabebig Member
    Alright, I got ya built. One question for you: Why no cardio beforehand and do it a separate day? since im a newbie, I am confused with your reply. If I go with your advice, should I do it for a full hour on that separate day?

Deadlifter, my eyes lit up when you said less then a year, and yes I am only 18 years old. I am planning on doing the routine I found on this website, Would it help me achieve that goal?
    Here is the routine:
    Day 1 : Chest and Back

Chest

Flat Barbell Bench Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Low Incline Dumbbell Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Dips : 2 x 6-8 reps

Back

Chin ups : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Deadlifts : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Barbell Rows : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Shrugs : 1 x 10 reps

Day 2 : OFF

Day 3 : Legs

Squats : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Hack Squats : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Leg Curls : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Straight Legged Deadlifts : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Standing Calve Raises : 4 x 10 reps

Day 4 : OFF

Day 5 : Shoulders, Triceps and Biceps

Shoulders

Military Press in Rack : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Seated Dumbbell Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Standing Lateral Raises : 2 x 10 reps

Triceps :

Narrow Grip bench Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
    French Press : 2 x 6-8 reps

Biceps :

Barbell Curls : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Hammer Curls : 1 x 6-8 reps

Day 6 : OFF

Day 7 : OFF

I have a couple of more question, Since I will also be gaining fat (which I dont mind) around how long would it take for me to start seeing/feeling results? Since I am a beginner, and just lost 40 lbs. Would it take me a while? Also, Since I want that real nice, slim and toned body like Tylers (movie character), Do you reccommend other exercises I should be doing at the gym, not mentioned in the WBB routine? Or different types of cardio, to keep me slim. Please let me know, All this knowledge you guys preach to me, is just feeding me more and more valuable info.

Anyways, Man I am soo excited for this monday, as that saying goes "the first day of the rest of your life" This is going to be soo true. Well I am heading off to bed, I cant wait to read some more replies, and helpful tips you guys can give me. Have a good night, I'll reply in the morning
    Last edited by murdoc52; 02-17-2006 at 09:46 PM.

I never stay on a routine for more than 4 weeks. It's boring, and it hinders my gains to stay on one longer. Proper periodization will allow one to keep gaining and avoid plateaus. I'd recommend keeping a training log, and to always try and beat your previous workouts. In the beginning you'll gain a lot of strength, maybe 10 pounds a week on some of the major, compound lifts. Over time, it will slow down and be less dramatic, but it should almost always be going up, otherwise you're wasting your time, training improperly, or at an extremely advanced level, but even at an advanced level, your assistance exercises should be going up in one form or another.

Another word of caution: avoid linear periodization. Here is an example:

Johnny bench boy is happy about his new routine that will for sure get him benching 300 in a matter of weeks. His result:

Week 1: 250 for 3 reps
    Week 2: 260 for 3 reps
    Week 3: 260 for 5 reps
    Week 4: 260 for 6 reps (adaption kicks in around this point)
    Week 5: 260 for 3 reps (Johnny boy is pissed off, and as a result increases intensity the following week)
    Week 6: 265 for 1 rep (fails on 2nd rep. What happened? Oh yeah, his CNS adapted and overtrained from repetitive movements and linear progression).

Compare this to a more dynamic style of periodization:

Week 1-4: 3-4 sets 8-12 rep range, 60-90 seconds rest
    Week 4-8: 4-5 sets 5-8 rep range, 90-120 seconds rest
    Week 8-12: 4-6 sets 3-5 rep range, 120-180 seconds rest

Between each cycle, there is a 4-6 day active recovery period, where you do whatever you want in the gym with lower intensity.

The above does not mean that all of your exercises will be in those ranges, just the compound, multi-joint exercises. During the max effort period (3-5 rep sets), I wouldn't bother doing "isolation" exercises like lateral raises and the like. Just stick to big, compound movements, with low to medium volume.

Quote Originally Posted by murdoc52
    Alright, I got ya built. One question for you: Why no cardio beforehand and do it a separate day? since im a newbie, I am confused with your reply. If I go with your advice, should I do it for a full hour on that separate day?
    Cardio will tire you for your lifting, and the whole object of lifting is to create muscle trauma/damage in an intense way. If you're out of steam before you start, you won't be able to do as much damage when you lift. Remember - you don't build any muscles in the gym - that's where you wreck 'em. You rebuild when you eat and rest later on - the oft-cited "anabolic response".

Since cardio burns so few calories anyway, you're better doing NONE than doing a half hour BEFORE you lift. Your body composition will come from proper diet and heavy lifting. A little cardio can be good for your heart, and can create a small caloric deficit so you are afforded a little dietary flexibility, but don't think of cardio as the way to being ripped. That part is caloric deficit and lifting in short, heavy sets.
    Deadlifter, my eyes lit up when you said less then a year, and yes I am only 18 years old. I am planning on doing the routine I found on this website, Would it help me achieve that goal?
    Here is the routine:
    Day 1 : Chest and Back

Chest

Flat Barbell Bench Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Low Incline Dumbbell Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Dips : 2 x 6-8 reps

Back

Chin ups : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Deadlifts : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Barbell Rows : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Shrugs : 1 x 10 reps

Day 2 : OFF

Day 3 : Legs

Squats : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Hack Squats : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Leg Curls : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Straight Legged Deadlifts : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Standing Calve Raises : 4 x 10 reps

Day 4 : OFF

Day 5 : Shoulders, Triceps and Biceps

Shoulders

Military Press in Rack : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Seated Dumbbell Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Standing Lateral Raises : 2 x 10 reps

Triceps :

Narrow Grip bench Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
    French Press : 2 x 6-8 reps

Biceps :

Barbell Curls : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Hammer Curls : 1 x 6-8 reps

Day 6 : OFF

Day 7 : OFF

I have a couple of more question, Since I will also be gaining fat (which I dont mind) around how long would it take for me to start seeing/feeling results? Since I am a beginner, and just lost 40 lbs. Would it take me a while? Also, Since I want that real nice, slim and toned body like Tylers (movie character), Do you reccommend other exercises I should be doing at the gym, not mentioned in the WBB routine? Or different types of cardio, to keep me slim. Please let me know, All this knowledge you guys preach to me, is just feeding me more and more valuable info.
    Cardio won't make you slim. You can't bulk and cut at the same time - at this point, I'd suggest eating at maintenance for a while, get your lifting going, then VERY gradually increase your calories - like 10% above maintenance at first. You can always increase it - but if you go too fast, you'll gain too much fat and that's NOT what you want.

[QUOTE=murdoc52]

Anyways, Man I am soo excited for this monday, as that saying goes "the first day of the rest of your life" This is going to be soo true. Well I am heading off to bed, I cant wait to read some more replies, and helpful tips you guys can give me. Have a good night, I'll reply in the morning
    Good luck!

i find that when people are just starting to work out, its most important to get the proper technique and strategy of a real workout.

for example, you want to be in control for the entire lift, and you need to struggle a bit with the last few reps. if you are able to do 15 reps, but only do 8, it is time to increase the weight. you also need to understand how to breathe properly.

if at all possible, go to the gym with a few people who know what they are doing for your first month.
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "Fk you and the Prowler you rode in on"

And just to get the misconception that your going to get huge out the the way. Its VERY VERY VERY VERY hard to get big. People spends years upon years to get that way. Most need drugs or godly genetics to get big. Believe me, you aren't accidently going to get huge.

Also, whats with the obsession with Brad Pitt in that movie. He is a stick that needs to eat and get some muscle. He looks like a strung out drug addict. He looked ok in Troy.
    Nick V

Wannabebig Member
    I still don't really know How much calories to intake, since I usually get full with light foods. But these past 4 days, ive been trying to eat 4-6 meals a day. To get ready for this coming monday. Hopefully, I am convincing my friend, that goes to the gym, to wake his ass up at 5am for him to come with me. I was going to ask, How long should I stay working out? 1 hour, 2 hours? Let me know. Do you guys have any other workout routines that would benefit me in getting to my goal, of that picture I posted? If so please feel free and post, because I will be following the WBB routine for atleast a month maybe 2.

Train with weights for no more than an hour, and no more than 4 days a week.

You need to track your food on fitday or some other platform so you can figure out your maintenance calories.

WBB is a perfectly good place to start.

1) Any questions you have about your diet can be answered like this:

Get an account at www.fitday.com and begin accurately add up all the calories and nutrients you take in.

Adjust your foods until you're taking in 1.5 g of protein per pound of body weight.

Track the number of calories vs. your body weight. Figure out how many calories your body takes to stay the same weight.

Then, all you have to do is figure out whether you want to gain, lose, or maintain weight. If you document what you eat, you can control your weight simply by changing your caloric intake. That's why cardio means less than nothing.

2) If you can lift after you've been in the gym for about an hour, you haven't been lifting hard enough. I can get a serious workout in under 30 minutes when I'm really pressed.

ETA: Oh, and like others have said, trust me, you don't have to worry about getting huge. You'll make huge gains, but you'd have to focus on strict diet and a really serious workout regime to get 'huge' in less than five years.
    Last edited by Skinny Fat; 02-18-2006 at 10:53 PM.

Don't ask for a lighter load. Ask for a stronger back.

Australia - Where the women really go down under!
    welcome murdoc, and congrats on your choice to make the change to your life. You will see most noticeable results in your figure around 2-3 months in. You will feel so much stronger straight away though. The better you diet, and how dedicated you are the more you will achieve in a short period of time. Make sure you read up on everything on this site because it has so much information and if you can't find something then just ask, most people are very helpful (as long as u try and find it urself first).

Good luck Murdoc52
    "People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily."

The routine you posted is far more complicated than what you need.

Start with a full body routine 3x a week.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.