Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help my chest

Wannabebig Member

help my chest

so ive been doing bench presses for i dunno how long and fly's as well as push ups but i havnt been building on my chest a whole lot, my max bench is 200 but my chest dosnt seem to have that look to it...it looks pretty wimpy, i have a good diet and im losing weight (im about 25 pnds over weight) and i take protien shakes as well as creatin, going to the gym off and on for 3 yrs. currently im doing 5x10 sets, should i be doing somthing along the lines of 3x8 to bring more bulk or switch up the exersizes? is so and suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Reaperman
    so ive been doing bench presses for i dunno how long and fly's as well as push ups but i havnt been building on my chest a whole lot, my max bench is 200 but my chest dosnt seem to have that look to it...it looks pretty wimpy, i have a good diet and im losing weight (im about 25 pnds over weight) and i take protien shakes as well as creatin, going to the gym off and on for 3 yrs. currently im doing 5x10 sets, should i be doing somthing along the lines of 3x8 to bring more bulk or switch up the exersizes? is so and suggestions?
    Question: Is that 5 sets of 10 reps or 10 sets of 5 reps?

Doing either way, you're overtraining. Do 2 sets of 6 to 8 reps. Go heavy, but not above your limit. It might seem small and you probably won't feel the burn as much as you have been, but try it. You can do heavier weights and it builds bulk.

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    go heavy, stay within the 3-6 range and about 4-5 sets and 4 exercises, 3 presses and 1 fly motion, with the flyes go a lil lighter to save your shoulders
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Banned
    hows the deadlifting going?

Wannabebig Member
    ok ill definitly give that a shot,ill stick with it for the next few weeks too see what happenes.

Wannabebig Member
    greath are you asking me or another person?

Want a bigger chest, eat more. Want to lose weight, eat less. Pick one or the other. Don't expect big gains on your chest while losing weight.
    Last edited by Unreal; 02-08-2006 at 08:00 PM.
    Nick V

Wannabebig Member
    wouldnt i be able to eat less but increase the amount of protien going into my body as well as increasing my cadio to 2-3 times a week result in more muscle gains and weight loss...more of a calm mediam, espicially if i start lifting heaver?

No. Protein by itself is not a magic muscle-building nutrient.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Wannabebig Member
    protien from meats, eggs and shakes, id still be getting my carbs from pasta, cereal, breads and all that stuff but it sounds to me like what i know is nothing if someone can enlighten me I would appreciate it. any sites or books u guys would suggest I read b/c i dont really like the whole eat and get fat to build a chest idea, sorry unreal

1) There is a spellcheck feature on this site, I would advise you to make use of it now and again.

2) If you're a beginner, you will gain some muscle while losing fat. However, what Unreal says is the truth; losing weight is a great way to stunt your muscle growth. Read lots of the threads around here about guys 'cutting'; you'll see that they very rarely make any significant strength gains. If you add muscle, that is by its very nature 'gaining weight.' Therefore, if you are keeping yourself from gaining weight, you're impacting your ability to add muscle.

This forum and the diet forum have significant amounts of information on nutrition and how your goals coincide with reality. Also, look into the articles posted on the site. Every one of them describes exactly how to gain muscle, get stronger, and/or get fitter, in one way or another.

Don't ask for a lighter load. Ask for a stronger back.

Wannabebig Member
    ok thank ill do that.....sorry about the spelling, all 5 of my schools sucked ass.

Cutting AND gaining muscle is counter-productive, one way or another. Either your muscle-gain is losing because you're cutting well or your cutting is failing because you're gaining muscle. Almost every newbie on this forums wants a six pack and to gain twenty pounds. They can't happen at the same time.

Banned
    was talking to you

Wannabebig Member
    Right now I’m doing roman dead lifts (not too heavy). I’m finding it difficult b/c of an existing back problem involving me a car and the side of the road. so the weights stay light tell i can comfterbly lift more with no or very little pain.

benching also has alot to do with form. make sure you keep your elbows close, and bring the bar to the top of your abs/bottom of the chest, this provides the shortest distance. you might want to train your body to handle heavy loads by doing lower reps. i work in the 5-3 rep range for my chest and do my supplementary and accessory lifts in the higher 8-12 range.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaperman
    ok thank ill do that.....sorry about the spelling, all 5 of my schools sucked ass.
    5 schools and you never learned how to spell properly? its not the schools fault buddy

Banned
    hit the pecdeck too!

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by skaterdude
    hit the pecdeck too!

Bench press and weighted dips are the best exercises for chest mass. The pec deck is not as efficient. Plus with bench and weighted dips you can move more naturally, while the pec deck locks you into a pre-established ROM.

Wannabebig Member
    Heavy Bench Press! heavy! I like to pyramid from 10-4 such as 10, 6-8, 4. this is my current flat bench split which seems to fry my chest everytime. I always notice gains on my chest when I go as heavy as possible. I dont use a very wide grip either, wheres your grip at? Maybe try swithchen that up?.
    Age-21
    Bench-315(1) 275(5)
    Squat-345(5) (1)?
    Deadlift-315(10) (1)?
    6'0 175-180
    10%bf
    Natural

Do 5x5, add 5 ibs each week. 2.5 pound plates are your friend when it comes to bench. Works great for me.

try adding a couple of sets of a cable crossover in there. Either from the bottom or the top (depending if you want to work lower or upper chest, respectively). This combines a flye motion with a press. I love it.
    "it's you against you, it's the paradox that drives us all"

6'1", 206, 11.5%
    Bench: 285
    Squat: 275
    DeadLift: 335
    -------------
    Total: 895 and moving up.

Check my progress and read more in My Journal.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by ironman2284
    try adding a couple of sets of a cable crossover in there. Either from the bottom or the top (depending if you want to work lower or upper chest, respectively). This combines a flye motion with a press. I love it.
    There is NO such thing as lower chest or upper chest. There is only chest. The pec muscle has one point of origin. Any chest movement works the entire chest.

You should be aware that "upper chest" and "lower chest" are considered four letter words on these forums.

If there is no upper or lower than why not just always do flat bench. What is the need then for incline/decline?
    "it's you against you, it's the paradox that drives us all"

6'1", 206, 11.5%
    Bench: 285
    Squat: 275
    DeadLift: 335
    -------------
    Total: 895 and moving up.

Check my progress and read more in My Journal.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by ironman2284
    If there is no upper or lower than why not just always do flat bench. What is the need then for incline/decline?

Variety. Incline works shoulders more and decline works chest more. It is possible to focus on one part more than the rest to a very SLIGHT degree, but the entire muscle works on ANY bench exercise be it decline, flat, or incline. The angle of stress changes, but the entire muscle contracts.
    It really won't make much difference to the average person whether he does flat or incline/decline.