The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar

Opinion on weight

Ok i've been on a bulking diet for the past 2 weeks and so far i've seen amazing results. I can lift more weight on my core lifts and machines. I have more energy and i feel better. Anyways i started out weighing 178 exactly. After a week i went up to 179. I was dissapointed at this so i upped my calories by about 500 (now its up to 3500-3800). After a week of that i went up to 182. I know this is a huge jump for one week and some of its most likely fat. However i looked in the mirror and my stomach doesnt seem to be any bigger. Also i feel leaner then i was before. Maybe not leaner so much as more muscle, but i dont know. Ahhh its so weird. From reading other articles on muscle gain you could gain nothing one week (or half a pound) and gain 2 or 3 pounds the next week and not worry. Your body is as unpredictable as the weather, but the end result should be more muscle mass. I really dont think i got "fatter" but the scale seems to say otherwise. Is it possible to gain that much muscle in a week....This past week i have been really pushing myself since i have more energy....i dunno, someone just give me some advice.

-jordan

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Relax. Lift as hard as you can, as smart as you can. Eat enough to consistently gain weight. Your first three pounds of weight gain are not exactly the ones you need to stress out about.

Don't ask for a lighter load. Ask for a stronger back.

if your really serious about bodybuilding...go on a bulk, lift hard and with a lot of weight, and eat a lot and gain that muscle mass (even if it does come with fat) then later when u are big we will worry about cutting...

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

I personally find the best way to bulk is step on the scale once a month, and out of full length mirrors. My weight fluctuates daily about 3-5lbs and my body looks different everytime I walk passed the mirror.

However opt88 hit the nail on the head.

Some advice: keep doing what you're doing. Over two weeks you have gained 4lbs which averages, if I can remember my second grade math, to 2lbs/week.

Anything more and you will risk putting on too much fat, in my opinion. As long as you keep gaining like that there isn't really any need to up your calories anymore. But, if you're hell bent on gaining faster, eat more.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Good advice guys.....i was just worried that i was packing on to much to quickly. Its the same with cutting, if your losing more then 1-2 pounds a week then your losing out on valuable muscle mass. However muscle is much harder to earn then fat and i can get rid of the extra fat (if thats what it is) easily. This calms my nerves, but i am getting excited about my gains.

-jordan

Sorry, I just scanned your first post the first time around and misunderstood your question.

2lbs/week is probably on the high end of things but certainly not unreasonable. And remember, when you start a bulk you will put weight on very quickly at the beginning since you will be carrying more water and glycogen. My guess is your gains will slow a little bit after the first couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez
    Sorry, I just scanned your first post the first time around and misunderstood your question.

2lbs/week is probably on the high end of things but certainly not unreasonable. And remember, when you start a bulk you will put weight on very quickly at the beginning since you will be carrying more water and glycogen. My guess is your gains will slow a little bit after the first couple of weeks.
    Ok cool, well we'll see what happens after this week. I also started on a new weight gainer and cant wait to see what that will do. Even though i am taking weight gainer im more stricter with my overall diet. Now i dont "cheat" as much as i used to. Also it has twice the protein my whey did. Anyways i have another question concerning weight. If i take a colon clenser while im in a cutting phase will that mess everything up, make it better or what? Should i take it now while im bulking??? I would like to take it because i heard about all the crap thats inside it (colon) and if you clense it out you can improve your overall health dramatically (as well as lose weight).

-jordan

Quote Originally Posted by Jordanbcool
    Ok cool, well we'll see what happens after this week. I also started on a new weight gainer and cant wait to see what that will do. Even though i am taking weight gainer im more stricter with my overall diet. Now i dont "cheat" as much as i used to. Also it has twice the protein my whey did. Anyways i have another question concerning weight. If i take a colon clenser while im in a cutting phase will that mess everything up, make it better or what? Should i take it now while im bulking??? I would like to take it because i heard about all the crap thats inside it (colon) and if you clense it out you can improve your overall health dramatically (as well as lose weight).

-jordan
    Yes there is alot of crap in your colon. Get some laxatives (lots!), it'll clean ya right up!
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Quote Originally Posted by deeder
    Yes there is alot of crap in your colon. Get some laxatives (lots!), it'll clean ya right up!
    Yea but dosent a colon clenser work much better then laxatives? And will this affect my bulking/cutting cycles???

im not exactly sure on the effect of a colon cleanser but a laxative is detrimental to bulking in that it flushes all of those cals u injested away, and instead of your body using them your body excretes them without use...but i guess not that detrimental..you would just have to eat more to make up for it...

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum08
    im not exactly sure on the effect of a colon cleanser but a laxative is detrimental to bulking in that it flushes all of those cals u injested away, and instead of your body using them your body excretes them without use...but i guess not that detrimental..you would just have to eat more to make up for it...
    I dont want to do all that, i just want to clear out all the toxins in my colon! lol

Gaaah, woke up this morning at the normal time. Went into the bathroom, took a HUGE piss. Took off the robe i was wearing. Looked into the mirror. It looks like i've lost 5 pounds???? What the hell! Im GAINING weight, why do i still look so lean but scrawny?????

-jordan

Gaaah, woke up this morning at the normal time. Went into the bathroom, took a HUGE piss. Took off the robe i was wearing. Looked into the mirror. It looks like i've lost 5 pounds???? What the hell! Im GAINING weight, why do i still look so lean but scrawny?????

-jordan
    Cuz you are still lean and scrawny?
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Give it time man. Looking leaner and gaining weight is a good thing. Keep the diet on track so you are gaining 1lb/wk or so on average (dont weigh yourself every day you will go crazy). Let us know how it goes in 4+ months, by then you will notice a difference. Good luck.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

Good things come with time. I was consuming 6000 cals a day throughout December/January, and I gained about 3lbs. However, I took a week or so break and I've gained far more in this time. Recomposition is a harlot, give everything time.

-jordan
    Lol, morning syndrome... I find this too. I feel pretty good on a night before going to bed but then wake up feeling week and small- no idea why. The solution is easy though... EAT

Don't worry about the little things though. Ban the scales and only use them at the same time, same day, every 2 weeks.

You'll see improvement if your routine and diet are up to scratch!

Quote Originally Posted by Davidelmo
    Lol, morning syndrome... I find this too. I feel pretty good on a night before going to bed but then wake up feeling week and small- no idea why. The solution is easy though... EAT

Don't worry about the little things though. Ban the scales and only use them at the same time, same day, every 2 weeks.

You'll see improvement if your routine and diet are up to scratch!
    So true dude. Went to the gym and worked my butt off. Came back had my normal weight gainer protein shake. Took off my shirt while taking a leak. Look much much better, and bigger then i did this morning. BTW i work out in the afternoon so by then i already had 2 meals in my system.

-jordan

I actually like feeling slimmer first thing in the morning; I'm a complete fat*ss by the end of the day. Of course, slimmer = weaker, and fat*ss = moves a lot of weight, so you win some, you lose some.

Don't ask for a lighter load. Ask for a stronger back.

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny Fat
    I actually like feeling slimmer first thing in the morning; I'm a complete fat*ss by the end of the day. Of course, slimmer = weaker, and fat*ss = moves a lot of weight, so you win some, you lose some.
    Im actually thinking about cutting less then i was planning to. Maybe 6 weeks instead of 8??? I really dont think i have much to lose in the first place but i'd like to get down to 9% by the start of summer. I'd say im 13% now, could i lose that 4% bodyfat in that amount of time without losing much muscle. My cals would be 2500 a day. I'd weight lift 4 days a week like i usually do, and consume the same amount of protein i am now. I'd also include cardio the other 3 days a week. Jump rope, morning jog, HIIT, etc. Thoughts anyone?

-jordan

Can anyone answer this?

That means you would have to lose about 7lbs of fat to go from 13% to 9%, assuming you are at 182lbs. I think you could lose 7lbs in 6 weeks not sure if it would ba all fat though.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

Quote Originally Posted by ericg
    That means you would have to lose about 7lbs of fat to go from 13% to 9%, assuming you are at 182lbs. I think you could lose 7lbs in 6 weeks not sure if it would ba all fat though.
    Muscle mass is a no no for me. If i lose just one pound of muscle i will be kicking myself. It takes FOREVER (literally) to gain muscle unless you use steroids....I guess your saying i should give myself more time? When i cut im going to be so conservative its not even funny. I'm going to take multiple supplements and vitamins that stop muscle loss (fish oil, creatine, whey protein etc.). If its one thing i learned from my last cut (last spring) its that muscle can easily be lost if your diet isnt right. Last spring i ran way to much, did not take enough protein, lowered my calories waaay to low and to quickly. I've learned alot from those mistakes. Unless you really think i can get down that easily without losing muscle im not doing it at all. I just want to know because its either cutting for 6 weeks or 8. Dosent sound like much of a difference but i'd like to use those extra two weeks to bulk up some more. An extra two pounds of muscle never hurt anyone.

-jordan

BTW. i've changed my mind. 10% bodyfat is fine with me. I dunno if that helps or not
    Last edited by Jordanbcool; 02-17-2006 at 12:41 PM.

Muscle mass is a no no for me. If i lose just one pound of muscle i will be kicking myself. It takes FOREVER (literally) to gain muscle unless you use steroids....I guess your saying i should give myself more time? When i cut im going to be so conservative its not even funny. I'm going to take multiple supplements and vitamins that stop muscle loss (fish oil, creatine, whey protein etc.). If its one thing i learned from my last cut (last spring) its that muscle can easily be lost if your diet isnt right. Last spring i ran way to much, did not take enough protein, lowered my calories waaay to low and to quickly. I've learned alot from those mistakes. Unless you really think i can get down that easily without losing muscle im not doing it at all. I just want to know because its either cutting for 6 weeks or 8. Dosent sound like much of a difference but i'd like to use those extra two weeks to bulk up some more. An extra two pounds of muscle never hurt anyone.

-jordan

BTW. i've changed my mind. 10% bodyfat is fine with me. I dunno if that helps or not
    If gaining muscle was easy, everyone would do it. But it`s not as hard as you are making it out to be. You do not need to take steriods to pack on LBM, expecially if you are just starting out.

If you cut you WILL lose some muscle. The muscle loss can, however, be minimized through proper diet and training.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez
    If gaining muscle was easy, everyone would do it. But it`s not as hard as you are making it out to be. You do not need to take steriods to pack on LBM, expecially if you are just starting out.

If you cut you WILL lose some muscle. The muscle loss can, however, be minimized through proper diet and training.
    Yea but i'd like to lose as little as possible. I mean i guess thats true for everyone, no one wants to lose muscle right? When i cut im going to ease myself down to from 3500 cals a day to 2500 cals. I'll do this in a span of two weeks (about 500 less each week). Then once i get down to 2500 i'll start jogging 3 days a week. After 2 weeks of that im going to include swimming for 30 minutes twice a week. This is how its going to look.

Mondays (upper body)

Decline bench press
    Incline bench press
    Lat rows
    Curls (dumbells)
    Shoulder press (dumbells)
    Crunches

Tuesdays (lower body)

Box squat
    Leg press
    Standing leg curls
    Calf curls
    "side" crunches (to work on love handles)
    Back raises (lower back)

Wensdays (upper body)

Dumbell bench press
    Cleans
    Shrugs
    Dips
    Curls (barbell)
    Pushups or any other upper body workout

Thursdays (lower body)

Squats
    Dead lift
    Outer thigh machine
    Inner thigh machine
    Side crunches
    "Butt" raises (hard to explain)

Fridays-Sundays (cardio)
    Either....
    3 mile morning jog
    HIIT
    Jump rope
    stairsteppers
    etc.

Also on tuesdays and thursdays i will be swimming for 30 minutes, pretty much non stop.

I will be eating everyday at 7,10,1,4, and my last meal is at 7 pm

I will consume exactly 2000-2500 a day and take alot of protein (not exactly sure the exact amount but i should weigh 190 by the time i cut so around that in mg's.). So basically cardio 3 days a week workouts 4 days. I will be taking whey protein, fish oil, creatine, and some other supplement that helps to prevent muscle breakdown (starts with a "g" cant remember the name....glutamane; something like that)

anyways thats my "plan"

leave your suggestions/thoughts.

-jordan