The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Cut or Bulk for summer?

Hey all.

First off, wanted to apologize. I posted in the "Hi I'm new" subforum a while back, and I've been so busy as of late I hardly have time to stop in.

That out of the way, I have a question for those who are more in the know than I.

As it stands right now, I lift 4-5 days a week. I've been lifting for a year and my gains haven't really been what I'd like them to be, but I AM improving, slowly. However...

Coming up on summer, and right now I've got a little extra body fat. My question to all of you gurus is...should I cut or bulk? Now I know, I know...the simple answer is if I want tone, cut, if I want size, bulk. But I'm currently at an impasse, because sure I'd love to look toned for the beach this summer, but I don't want to have to work a thousand times harder to bulk up for the winter.

Bulking would consist of high intake diet, protein, creatine, and maybe a test (cypionate).

Cutting would consist of lean mass diet, protein, thermogenic, and maybe Winny (maybe).

If I were to cut, would getting back on the horse for gains be harder? I ask because I'm really nowhere near the size I want to be. Would you guys suggest I just bulk and get to my ideal size and then cut? Or is there really a way to do both?

Thanks for reading, appreciated.
    5'8" 210 lbs.

The Bulk continues.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Do you know roughly what your bodyfat % is? What do you mean by going to have to 'work a thousand times harder to bulk up for the winter'? Do you mean you won't have bulked by Fall so you'll have that much more muscle to put on? Because you will have more muscle to put on but you'll be at a lower bodyfat % which will be nice.

I would say that 'getting back on the horse again' will not be that hard. All you'll have to do is change up the diet a little and you'll probably see good gains when you start the bulk.

Eh not much of a way to do both. I mean technically you could do a short bulk then a short cut (or vice versa) before Summer if you wanted.

The problem is: you are asking other people what you should do about your physique and no one can tell you what will work better for you than yourself. Sit down and learn as much as you can about your situation then make a choice and stick with it.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

All good points. I'm aware the decision will be all my own, I suppose I was just looking for some direction.

Here's a fairly recent picture of me...mind you it's not a good pose at all because I was just goofing around...but you can somewhat assess my current build off of it. Tats are fake btw.

5'8" 210 lbs.

The Bulk continues.

LOL yeah I was wondering about the tats.
    a.) Have you been lifting seriously, and if so then for how long?
    b.) I personally, based on your pic, would do either 1.) a slow bulk or 2.) short bulk (maybe a month or two) and then a short cut (up until beginning of Summer).

But again as I have said, that's just what I'd do. I have different goals and perceptions of 'good physique' than you do.
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

I've been lifting for a year. I'd consider it seriously, but my diet hasn't been a perfect bodybuilding diet.

My ideal build is really ever-changing...but my so called "Good Physique" at least for my height and build would be something along the lines of this:

I personally think Derek Anthony (at least in that picture) has it nailed. Not freakish, but big enough and cut enough to look good, in my opinion. I'm aware I've got a long way to go, so don't get the impression that by posting pictures I think I'm going to end up just like him, but for sake of description that's around what I'm aiming for.

I appreciate the input.
    5'8" 210 lbs.

The Bulk continues.

you need to bulk imo.
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "Fk you and the Prowler you rode in on"

Yeah I'm sticking with the two options I'd suggested.

Once it starts hitting the end of summer though, you'd better start eating like a madman.

BTW try your best to improve your diet.
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sul Train
    Hey all.

First off, wanted to apologize. I posted in the "Hi I'm new" subforum a while back, and I've been so busy as of late I hardly have time to stop in.

That out of the way, I have a question for those who are more in the know than I.

As it stands right now, I lift 4-5 days a week. I've been lifting for a year and my gains haven't really been what I'd like them to be, but I AM improving, slowly. However...

Coming up on summer, and right now I've got a little extra body fat. My question to all of you gurus is...should I cut or bulk? Now I know, I know...the simple answer is if I want tone, cut, if I want size, bulk. But I'm currently at an impasse, because sure I'd love to look toned for the beach this summer, but I don't want to have to work a thousand times harder to bulk up for the winter.

Bulking would consist of high intake diet, protein, creatine, and maybe a test (cypionate).

Cutting would consist of lean mass diet, protein, thermogenic, and maybe Winny (maybe).

If I were to cut, would getting back on the horse for gains be harder? I ask because I'm really nowhere near the size I want to be. Would you guys suggest I just bulk and get to my ideal size and then cut? Or is there really a way to do both?

Thanks for reading, appreciated.
    Wow, your pretty much exactly like me build wise and what you want to accomplish. I did what someone suggested and started a small bulking and cutting session. Right now i am bulking (feb-march) and when april comes around i'll start cutting until june. For me this is really working out because all and all im pretty happy with how i look. However, like you i had a hard time figuring out what i wanted to do with myself. Theres always room to get bigger/better and im glad with the weight gains i've been making. You dont seem fat at all, and shouldnt worry about cutting for a little while unless you want to get a really really low bodyfat. If i were you i'd keep bulking or if your not atleast start. Even if your only bulking for a few weeks a few pounds of muscle never hurt anyone. One thing i will warn you about though is to watch your diet very carefully. I've gained 6 pounds in 2 weeks which is a HUGE jump from what i should be making. I should have only gained 3 pounds, so you need to really watch what you eat. I was concerned about eating to little but now i think im eating to much junk food. Cutting is even worse though because its much harder to gain muscle then it is to lose fat. So if you end up losing to much weight to fast that hard muscle will melt away and you will just look skinny and flabby. Bottom line- go ahead and bulk a little bit more like i am. stick with creatine, whey protein, and weight gainer etc. type supplements. Keep your calories around 3500, skip the cardio and watch what you eat. Then around april or whenever, go ahead and start cutting.

-jordan

p.s. it wont be hard to get back on the "horse" at all. You should never get off it. If you stick with your workout the only thing that should change is your diet

You have to bulk hardcore. Get yourself an extra 15lbs over the next two, two and a half months, then cut down for summer time. Please do us all a favor and read Built's Guide To Cutting in her profile. We all know it will be asked: How do I cut? That is the answer.
    "it's you against you, it's the paradox that drives us all"

6'1", 206, 11.5%
    Bench: 285
    Squat: 275
    DeadLift: 335
    -------------
    Total: 895 and moving up.

Check my progress and read more in My Journal.

Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordanbcool
    Wow, your pretty much exactly like me build wise and what you want to accomplish. I did what someone suggested and started a small bulking and cutting session. Right now i am bulking (feb-march) and when april comes around i'll start cutting until june. For me this is really working out because all and all im pretty happy with how i look. However, like you i had a hard time figuring out what i wanted to do with myself. Theres always room to get bigger/better and im glad with the weight gains i've been making. You dont seem fat at all, and shouldnt worry about cutting for a little while unless you want to get a really really low bodyfat. If i were you i'd keep bulking or if your not atleast start. Even if your only bulking for a few weeks a few pounds of muscle never hurt anyone. One thing i will warn you about though is to watch your diet very carefully. I've gained 6 pounds in 2 weeks which is a HUGE jump from what i should be making. I should have only gained 3 pounds, so you need to really watch what you eat. I was concerned about eating to little but now i think im eating to much junk food. Cutting is even worse though because its much harder to gain muscle then it is to lose fat. So if you end up losing to much weight to fast that hard muscle will melt away and you will just look skinny and flabby. Bottom line- go ahead and bulk a little bit more like i am. stick with creatine, whey protein, and weight gainer etc. type supplements. Keep your calories around 3500, skip the cardio and watch what you eat. Then around april or whenever, go ahead and start cutting.

-jordan

p.s. it wont be hard to get back on the "horse" at all. You should never get off it. If you stick with your workout the only thing that should change is your diet
    Just realized i look better then yesterday in the mirror....must have been water weight i guess. anyways, what im trying to say is BULK UP.....

This means eat everything you can shove down your throat.......seriously....

Except whole cakes of course
    Last edited by Jordanbcool; 02-21-2006 at 05:50 AM.

Yeah, I appreciate the input, guys.

I'm gonna follow the advice and bulk up. Eating a lot, Higher Weights/Lower Reps, and supplemental assistance.

I should be getting some good bulk supplements in the next few weeks, and I've changed my rep range from 3 sets of 8-12 to 4 sets of 8.

Let's hope it makes some changes.
    5'8" 210 lbs.

The Bulk continues.

I'm with fatrb38 on this one. In fact, the second option (quick bulk, followed by a cut) is the very route I am following right now.

But, in my opinion, given the relative noobness of this question, combined with your size, I don`t think you need to run a cycle. You`ll see great gains with proper diet and training alone. Ultimately its your decisions, but thats just my 2cents.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur