The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyBomber View Post
    There are two articles that are must reads for anyone learning about conjugate periodization...
    You left out this article which, IMHO, is a must for anyone considering WS:
    Busting Ass 101: http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle....article=288ba2
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    You left out this article which, IMHO, is a must for anyone considering WS:
    Busting Ass 101: http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle....article=288ba2
    That's why they pay you the big bucks Sensei.

This routine looks awesome

I've decided to switch to this routine from my current routine which is basically an upper/lower 3 day per week split. I really like the idea of the 4 day split hitting everything 2X per week instead of my current once every 5 day split.
    As a somewhat older guy at 51, I'm not sure if 4 days a week might be too much (not enough recovery) considering I have a pretty demanding physical job as a postman working 10 hours a day 6 days a week.
    Would it be a good idea to ease into this routine by keeping the reps a little higher at first? And maybe starting out with 3-4 sets instaed of 5 on some of the exercises??
    I'm still pretty much a noob, especially with leg work. I've just gotten to the point now where I can squat every 4-5 days and recover. I'm thinking that especially with the leg work I may need to start out at lower intensity and build up from there.
    Any other advice on how to make the switch over?

Thanks much!

heading to 195
    maybe this was discussed, but i'm lazy...

i just started this yesterday and the 2 sets for each body part seemed like more than enough. does anybody do the extra sets, i.e. hammer rows for back and incline flies for chest?

Quote Originally Posted by snow View Post
    maybe this was discussed, but i'm lazy...

i just started this yesterday and the 2 sets for each body part seemed like more than enough. does anybody do the extra sets, i.e. hammer rows for back and incline flies for chest?
    I don't do the extra sets. They might be useful for the back since it's a bigger muscle. I find BGB to be hard enough as it is without needed to add the extras.

This routine is great you'll find it to be the best most likely. I've tried several other routines before and after using BGB. No routine I have used has given me results like this one.

Gregster, I got back to you by PM I think, yes? I'll have to stalk you and see what you ended up doing. I'm a geezer myself, and I've had no problem with the volume - quite the contrary, because it isn't a "rape your bodypart" split, I think you'll find the lower-volume workouts with frequent hits in different rep ranges will work quite well with your *ahem* aging joints and tendons. <says the pot to the kettle>

Snow - it depends on the individual. I find it helpful for areas where I'm not strong enough to cause enough microtrauma any other way, or areas where I suspect I might have more slow twitch than I'd like - for example, my quads or my delts. Also depends on diet - bulking, with the extra food - no problem. Cutting, the 5x5 turns into a 3x5 and I drop anything with more than 8 reps.

method115 - I'm delighted to hear this. I'm so glad you've enjoyed success using this routine!

Ex-Twig. Future Freak. Rock Steady's Avatar
    This routine kicks ass. I gained muscle all over the place with it and have used it for over 18 months. The nice thing is there is enough room for change that I've kept things relatively fresh the whole time.

Still, it may be time to change things up for 6 months or so. I'm sure I'll come crawling back eventually!
    My Journal & Before/After Bulk Pictures
    6'1, 217 lbs
    Lifts (lbs): D:465 / SQ (to ||):335 / DB Bench: 110s x 4 / TK:8

See, that's the thing - it's really easy to keep it fresh while keeping it balanced.

Rock Steady, that's so great to hear! I love to hear about it when people make gains from something I passed along - it's great to have a bank of effective paradigms to draw from when people ask for suggestions, and feedback is how that bank account grows. Much obliged.

Since you mentioned perhaps needing a change, I'll offer up what I've been doing lately.

Basically, it's a three-day for the lifting, with a forth day for hill repeats (cardio only). I toss a yoga class between days 1 and 2, but that's lower back and hip-stretching 'cause I'm an old lady. I don't really think of it as a workout; it's more of a massage.
    Within the three workouts, you can still see the structure of quad and ham dominant work balanced off with pushing and pulling in orthogonal planes:

Monday
    Workout 1:

quad dominant with vertical pushing (front squats, lighter front squats, Oly bar shoulder press, arnies);
    HIIT + ss cardio (treadmill sprints, hamstring focus)

Tuesday
    Yoga

Wednesday:
    Off

Thursday:
    Workout 2

cleans/clean and press with vertical pulling (cleans/clean and press, weighted chins, hammerstrength "spiderman" lat work or unweighted chins, weighted ab work);
    HIIT + ss cardio to total 20 minutes (recumbent bicycle sprints aka "8 seconds of doom", quad focus)

Friday:
    Workout 3

horizontal pushing with deads/ham dominant work (bb bench, dumbbell incline bench with bands, RDLs, split squats);
    HIIT + ss cardio to total 20 minutes (complexes, full body metabolic work)

Saturday or Sunday:
    Hill repeats for 20-40 minutes (described in my cardio article)

Notes:
    Some of the work I do in straight sets, some as antagonist pairs. This varies organically, depending on the availability of equipment, and also whether or not I'm particularly pressed for time.

Diet:
    I'm dieting a little differently this cut - VERY high calories on the 3 training days, basically PSMF levels on the off days. The differential is about 2500/1200, which works out to about 1700-1800 calories on average. While this represents about a 15% deficit for me, the training days are always over maintenance - kinda sweet while cutting! So far, it translates to me not feeling like I'm overtraining from the lifting/interval work I do three days a week - I have a ton of food on lifting days and plenty of time to recover on the down days.

Kinda nice always training really well-fed during a cut. So far, seems quite comfortable - and effective. As an added perk, I seem to be able to manage without tracking: PSMF-level rations completely kill my appetite, and if I don't eat stupid, I naturally seen to settle at around 2500 calories if I eat to satiety (but not beyond) on my "usual" food choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Steady View Post
    This routine kicks ass. I gained muscle all over the place with it and have used it for over 18 months. The nice thing is there is enough room for change that I've kept things relatively fresh the whole time.

Still, it may be time to change things up for 6 months or so. I'm sure I'll come crawling back eventually!
    Yes I would honestly not stop doing this routine I thought the same like you and decided to take a break form this routine. It ended up being a big mistake and I came back after about 3 months weaker then before.

I look forward to starting this routine once I've done all I can with Rippetoe's Starting Strength. I'm happy with my gains thus far with that, but I'm getting a little bored with doing the same things over and over.

Hey guys. I got a question. Is Baby Got Back and the Wanna be big routines designed for people who (besides working out) sit around and do nothing all day?

Because I have Breakdancing practice (about 2-3 hours) every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and occasionally on the weekends too.

Also, when do you recommend me to fit in my 3 HIIT days? See, BGB tells me to work out my legs on Tuesdays and Fridays, but my legs are always fried when I wanna do HIIT the next day (a rest day). Can I do HIIT on a work out day too?

Thanks a bunch!

Hey Built.

I wanna know why you do biceps in the strength range in this routine. It doesn't seem to make sense -- biceps don't exactly play a big role in any of the major compound lifts -- they are pretty much just for show.

Quote Originally Posted by CODmasterJYK View Post

Also, when do you recommend me to fit in my 3 HIIT days? See, BGB tells me to work out my legs on Tuesdays and Fridays, but my legs are always fried when I wanna do HIIT the next day (a rest day). Can I do HIIT on a work out day too?

Thanks a bunch!
    Why do you need to do cardio so badly? Doing a whole bunch of cardio is going to kill your gains dude.

Well, I'm a Breakdancer. I'm on a team at Northwestern University, so I can't give that up. That's a Cardio workout that I cannot give up because it's what I do.

I wanna do HIIT to lose weight.

Well, I'm a Breakdancer. I'm on a team at Northwestern University, so I can't give that up. That's a Cardio workout that I cannot give up because it's what I do.

I wanna do HIIT to lose weight.
    HIIT doesn't make you lose weight. Hell, if anything, a bunch of cardio is just going to teach your body to increase fat reserves to make up for the energy expenditures (weight lifting teaches the body to store this as muscle instead). Caloric deficits and a good diet make you lose weight. I think a bunch of HIIT and cardio is just going to overtrain you.
    Last edited by OGROK; 02-27-2008 at 11:11 PM.

I am eating at a caloric deficit. I am eating at a good diet. I'm having about a gram of protein per lean body mass and about half as much fat. I'm not that nooby. lol.

For HIIT, I was planning to do 3 twenty minute sessions per week. HIIT has been proven to be best suited for fat loss. It has the highest rate of fat loss than other work outs, which is why I would like to add it to my exercise.

The problem is, Wednesday and Saturday (days that I plan to do HIIT) are right after leg days and I feel like I would overtrain my leg. Instead, should I do HIIT on work-out days? or what? Am I trying to do too much? Because I do have like 2-3 hours of breakdance practice about 2-3 times a week.

I am eating at a caloric deficit. I am eating at a good diet. I'm having about a gram of protein per lean body mass and about half as much fat. I'm not that nooby. lol.

For HIIT, I was planning to do 3 twenty minute sessions per week. HIIT has been proven to be best suited for fat loss. It has the highest rate of fat loss than other work outs, which is why I would like to add it to my exercise.

The problem is, Wednesday and Saturday (days that I plan to do HIIT) are right after leg days and I feel like I would overtrain my leg. Instead, should I do HIIT on work-out days? or what? Am I trying to do too much? Because I do have like 2-3 hours of breakdance practice about 2-3 times a week.
    I promise that you will get better results without the HIIT. Unless you are eating 7000+ calories a day you are probably just going to end up breaking down your muscle beyond repair. There is a reason bodybuilders lower volume on cuts. As for HIIT being "proven" for anything, don't believe everything you hear. Cardio, as a rule, is terrible for pretty much anything besides cardiovascular health.
    Last edited by OGROK; 02-28-2008 at 11:26 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    Hi Built,

I see with your newest routine your leaving out iso work for Bis & Tris.
    Do you still work them in?

I can only lift 3 days a week so I found this routine to be verrrrry helpful.

I have limited equipment(only DBs and machine) so was thinking about a routine like this:

Monday
    Squats
    Lunges
    Shoulder Press
    Arnies or lat raises

Tuesday
    Clean & Press
    Lat Pulldowns
    Close grip pulldowns
    Abs
    Calves

Thursday
    Bench
    Incline Bench
    Deadlift (not sure what kind to do?)
    Leg Curls

Almost everything, bench,cleans,squats,etc. are done with DBs because thats all I have. Everything else, pulldowns,etc are done with a machine.

Will a routine like this still work?

Thanks for any help, you truly are an inspiration!

Quote Originally Posted by eric1214 View Post
    Hi Built,

I see with your newest routine your leaving out iso work for Bis & Tris.
    Do you still work them in?

I can only lift 3 days a week so I found this routine to be verrrrry helpful.

I have limited equipment(only DBs and machine) so was thinking about a routine like this:

Monday
    Squats
    Lunges
    Shoulder Press
    Arnies or lat raises

Tuesday
    Clean & Press
    Lat Pulldowns
    Close grip pulldowns
    Abs
    Calves

Thursday
    Bench
    Incline Bench
    Deadlift (not sure what kind to do?)
    Leg Curls

Almost everything, bench,cleans,squats,etc. are done with DBs because thats all I have. Everything else, pulldowns,etc are done with a machine.

Will a routine like this still work?

Thanks for any help, you truly are an inspiration!
    No, it will not work because dumbbells are not heavy enough to stimulate hypertrophy on big movements like squats.

Wannabebig Member
    Oh, but with the equipment I have is this a good routine to follow?

I understand that in order to achieve my full potential I need to join a gym with proper equipment, but until then I am stuck with what I have.

If the DB's are big enough to give you a good squat workout you can always swap in step up's/lunges for squats.

Wannabebig New Member
    been looking here(WBB)for some hints for my next bulk and hell ive got more than i bargain'd for here.
    thats me sorted for the next few months,
    tryed some of the other routines on WBB with good results so cant wait till april when i start my new routine.
    star in the making.
    cheers.

heading to 195
    i still love this workout... any possible way to turn it into a 3 day workout? my gym is somewhat far and any cut down on gas is helpful to the wallet.

Wannabebig Member
    Marianne, I am going to start this routine this coming Monday, with a slight twist. In late August, I was playing softball (over 45 league, I'm 48), and I injured myself rounding second base. I pulled my right hamstring AND my right groin. Ouch. So now any leg work hurts too much to do. I've tried light (bar only) squats and leg press, but both cause too much discomfort. Leg extensions cause almost no discomfort, when using a light weight for high reps (15).

Anyway, what I was thinking of doing was this :
    Monday : vertical pulling
    Tuesday : vertical pushing
    Thursday : horizontal pulling
    Friday : horizontal pushing

I will stick the leg extensions on one (or two) of these training days.

Let me tell you, it stinks to be injured.

Brian

Wannabebig New Member
    Wait A Minute!!!hold The Presses!!!!built Doing Cardio!! I Feel Woozy....better Sit Down....