The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Baby Got Back by MariAnne Anderson - Feb 18th 2006

Not only does a well-developed back look impressive from all angles, taking a balanced approach to back development can ward off injuries and promote good posture. Read on to find out how to build a big, beautiful back!

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=255

Discuss and enjoy
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Yay, Built for El Presidante!

Seriously, I've been on BGB for a coupla weeks now, the numbers are going up, and the shirts are getting tighter. Sweet.
    Poo is also LBM - The Built

Stronglikebull or full of?
    Baby Got Back and Brain and Brawn. No Balls but **** that ain't a bad thing when you got everything else!!! Lol!!!!

Your the greatest Coach!!!
    "If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything."

Mark Twain

"The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand and the determination that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand."

Vince Lombardi

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...wner=BigOldDad

Kudos..

The BGB routine is easily the most effective one I have used. I modified it to the 5x5 format and it works like a charm. Not only am I getting a lot better weights from back lifts but my BB Bench is starting to move nicely ws well.

Great job Built.

built, how often would you suggest the exercises be rotated? i'm planning things and am wondering because my gym has limited equipment..

out of the back exercises i can only do bent BB rows, seated cable rows, DB rows, lat pulldowns and pullovers

Quote Originally Posted by dissipate
    built, how often would you suggest the exercises be rotated? i'm planning things and am wondering because my gym has limited equipment..
    I'd personally rotate as necessary - meaning when you plateau on a particular lift.

Quote Originally Posted by dissipate
    out of the back exercises i can only do bent BB rows, seated cable rows, DB rows, lat pulldowns and pullovers
    No chinups? Jumping chinups? Assisted chinups?
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

we haven't got the assisted chinups machine thing here. jumping chinups??

Jumping chinups are probably better than assisted anyway. Stand on a box/chair so that you can comfortably grip the bar with a flat foot. Then jump/pull at the same time. Sounds like an easy cheat, but you'll be surprised at how much back/arm work you actually get.

ah! ok i'll try jumping chinups. thanks anthony!!

Anthony - I've been very fluid with rotating exercise order, rep range, tempo, and accessory lift selection - keeps it fresh, and avoids the plateau thing. I should be more organized about it, but even rotating it casually like this I've seen excellent progress.

And the jumping chins idea sounds like a winner! I'm gonna try that!

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Anthony - I've been very fluid with rotating exercise order, rep range, tempo, and accessory lift selection - keeps it fresh, and avoids the plateau thing. I should be more organized about it, but even rotating it casually like this I've seen excellent progress.
    It's definitely not a bad thing to rotate, but it's not always necessary. Most people can make gains week after week using the same exercise/rep range without hitting a wall. But the stronger/more experienced you get, the more rotation plays a big role in keeping things going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    Jumping chinups are probably better than assisted anyway. Stand on a box/chair so that you can comfortably grip the bar with a flat foot. Then jump/pull at the same time. Sounds like an easy cheat, but you'll be surprised at how much back/arm work you actually get.
    They're also quite the killer for endurance. My lats were sore for a few days after doing 'em.

Good article.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

oh my goodness has it really been this long since I was last on here??
    I can say my testimony is this...
    with the 5x5 and 3x8 and 3x8...
    four day split, I am not only getting stronger...and love checking out the shoulders...and their, slight ripples....
    I am amazing myself...
    (wow amazed self)
    Oriental - In astrology, it refers to the eastern half of the cusp of the ascendant. The planets situated immediately before the rising Sun. Such planets possess exceptional strength.
    NDN-my mother told me that vegetarians are poor hunters...We hunted buffalo, Dene Nation.

OrientalNDN is indeed looking amazing - and she's outlifting me by more and more all the time. Ahhhh... youth...

Glad you're digging it, babe.

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    OMG it's fierce! /

Now, as I've seen it mentioned and I've wondered about this also- where can some minor chest work come into BGB during the second leg of the week? Would you put it on the Ham Dominant day? If so, what would you recommend? My one limit is dips- can't do 'em.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

I think ham dominant day would be the best place for it - still doesn't combine it with shoulder work, and since chest also works tris, it's not a large change from the general format.

There are no limits DaoineSidhe's Avatar
    Where to even start with the questions...*dives head first*

I'd love to try this routine, but my concern is it still possible with DB's, a bench, and a BB?

A few concerns of mine are:

-Rack pulls. Is it alright to leave that out and simply do T-Bar row (5x5), Bent over BB row (3x8), and hammer row (3x8-10)?

-How would you suggest I split up my Hamstrings and Calves (dominant and accessory) with only BB and DB's for equipment?

-When do you take days off? Do you think it best to take a day off after each workout day?

-You have several exercises to choose from within the different groups, such as Vertical plane shoulders and Vertical plane back. Do you think it best to rotate these exercises listed, or is it ok to pick a few to stick with like the example you provided? I know my choices will be less due to my access to less equipment.

1. Sure. Or do off the floor deads.

2. Hams: do RDLs, GMs, fake some sort of a GHR arrangement, get a swiss ball to do leg curls (good for higher rep ham work, google swiss ball leg curls for example). You can do calves with the barbell and a step, do 'em one leg at a time.

3. day 1, day 2, off, day 3, day 4, off off works well. Or EOD.

4. Try it either way. I tend to leave the heavy compound alone and rotate the accessory work.

Oh, and get a chinup bar. If you don't have a powercage and can't fake one, do front squats, walking lunges and bulgarian split squats.

There are no limits DaoineSidhe's Avatar
    I'll get started on those soon as I can. Much love for the help.