Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Baby Got Back by MariAnne Anderson - Feb 18th 2006

Wannabebig New Member
    Built, how would you recommend adjusting this routine for athletes? Specifically lacrosse players. We have to have significant endurance and explosive speed/power. Would you recommend your program for someone that wants to gain strength and power but with a need to maintain conditioning?

Trying to answer my own question I came up with this...
    Day 1: Quad dom legs, tempo run finish (between 1-3 miles)
    Day 2: Morning workout = HIIT running. Afternoon workout = horizontal push/pull
    Day 3: GPP work (conditioning focus)
    Day 4: Morning workout = Light GPP (conditioning focus)/mile run finish. Afternoon workout = Hamstring dom legs
    Day 5: Morning workout = HIIT biking. Afternoon workout = vertical push/pull
    Day 6: GPP work (strength focus)
    Day 7: optional light run run/light GPP work (conditioning focus)

I know that running after leg day is probably not the best way to go, but I figured as long as I kept the run under 30 min it wouldn't be very likely for me to reach a catabolic state. I also have nowhere else to put it.

Conditioning focused GPP is less strength work and more conditioning. I'll pick from movements like burpees, DB swings, mountain climbers, jumping rope, medicine ball slams/throws, etc.

Strength focused GPP would be more bodyweight strength conditioning: bodyweight chin ups, pushups, bodyweight squats, bodyweight dips, and all of their variations with minimal rest in a circuit fashion.

Looking at that it does seem like a lot and could lead to overtraining, but I've had a similar training load before without detriment (except I had only 3 days lifting). If you have any recommendations/changes I'd really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by gemelnick
    Built, how would you recommend adjusting this routine for athletes? Specifically lacrosse players. We have to have significant endurance and explosive speed/power. Would you recommend your program for someone that wants to gain strength and power but with a need to maintain conditioning?

Day 4: Morning workout = Light GPP (conditioning focus)/mile run finish. Afternoon workout = Hamstring dom legs

I know that running after leg day is probably not the best way to go, but I figured as long as I kept the run under 30 min it wouldn't be very likely for me to reach a catabolic state. I also have nowhere else to put it.

Conditioning focused GPP is less strength work and more conditioning. I'll pick from movements like burpees, DB swings, mountain climbers, jumping rope, medicine ball slams/throws, etc.

Strength focused GPP would be more bodyweight strength conditioning: bodyweight chin ups, pushups, bodyweight squats, bodyweight dips, and all of their variations with minimal rest in a circuit fashion.

Looking at that it does seem like a lot and could lead to overtraining, but I've had a similar training load before without detriment (except I had only 3 days lifting). If you have any recommendations/changes I'd really appreciate it.
    You would last for about one week before your body started to die. Split the running and weightlifting. Mostly because neither are going to be wholly effective if you dont seperate them. You'll either be too tired to do weights or run.

Try something more like this:

Day 1:
    Horizontal Pulling
    • Barbell Rows (vary the grip between pronated and supinated)
    • Rack Pulls (vary the pin height, usually set them set below the knee/mid shin area)
    • Pull Ups
    • Lat Pulldowns

Day 2: HIIT

Day 3:
    •Squat and/or deadlift
    •Isolated work for your quads and hams (your choice)

Day 4: Endurance training

DAy 5:
    •Bench Press
    •Arnold Press
    • Flies
    •Dumbell Press

This is something similar to what alot of the track ppl at my school do. I wouldnt recommend more then 6 days of training, if you want to do another day of cardio swim, purely to save your legs... Take it or leave it.
    Stats:
    Height: 5' 5.5"
    Weight: 180 lbs
    Max lifts: Squat:320 lbs, Bench: 195 lbs, Deadlift: 290 lbs.
    Max Comp. Total: 805 lbs

Picture Links
    Most Recent Pix, August 2006, Febuary 2006, Starting Pictures (2005)
    MY JOURNAL

There may be hope yet. JustinASU's Avatar
    Silently Slipping into the dark abyss of Insanity
    Quote Originally Posted by gemelnick

I see no problem with the above routine. He's an althelete. GPP and conditioning aren't going to interfere with strength training.
    Credulous at best
    Your desire to believe in
    Angels in the hearts of men.
    But pull your head on out of your hippie haze
    And give a listen
    Shouldn't have to say it all again

Personally, the way I would structure the workout would be like this:

MWF- Full Body Compound (First Week 2 Heavy days, 1 Explosive day, Second Week 2 Explosive days, 1 Heavy day etc etc etc)

T/TH- HIIT days, maybe light active recovery stuff

S/Su- Either slow run for aerobic conditioning or some light GPP stuff

I think the mixture of HIIT and all your heavy lifting will tend to wear on your body when coupled with all the extra GPP and aerobic conditioning.

Just my thoughts. I followed a routine for quite awhile in which I mixed Heavy Days, Explosive Days and intense conditioning while training for BJJ.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Im thinking that he wants to improve on all aspects, and he will see little to no improvement with his current one. He will wear himself out almost entirely, especially since this is building and not just maintaining.

His choice tho.
    Stats:
    Height: 5' 5.5"
    Weight: 180 lbs
    Max lifts: Squat:320 lbs, Bench: 195 lbs, Deadlift: 290 lbs.
    Max Comp. Total: 805 lbs

Picture Links
    Most Recent Pix, August 2006, Febuary 2006, Starting Pictures (2005)
    MY JOURNAL

deadlifts?

Maybe I missed it somewhere, which is possible, but I'm not sure where deadlifts fit into this routine. Day 1? Another day?

Substitute them in for the rack pulls.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Thanks, Shock.

Quote Originally Posted by K1M View Post
    lol! That's Monstar. He's banned from here because of many, many reasons. He still lurks here and tried a rereg not too long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by galileo View Post
    lol! That's Monstar. He's banned from here because of many, many reasons. He still lurks here and tried a rereg not too long ago.
    Christ, from that thread it looks like he's still starting a new journal every three weeks...

I wonder if he maintains the jelking one still?

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesn’t realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

Lol @ the monstar comments. He had at least 10 journals here in under a years time! Sorry to get off topic.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

Scorpion32
    3. day 1, day 2, off, day 3, day 4, off off works well. Or EOD.

I think I have been sold on BGG. Last week on current coutine, then a week off. I have been training for about two streight months heavy and to failure. My only question is go I do cardio on the off days?

ex: Wed and Sat if I start on Monday with day 1? I am trying to gain at least 10 to 15 lbs but continue to run for health resaons. I am currently running two days a week of HIIT for only about 10 to 12 min. Any help would be great.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    I have been training for about two streight months heavy and to failure
    You shouldn't be going to failure every single work out. You can burn yourself out that way. Going to failure is a tool, but it isn't needed during every single workout to see progression.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Scorpion32
    Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN View Post
    You shouldn't be going to failure every single work out. You can burn yourself out that way. Going to failure is a tool, but it isn't needed during every single workout to see progression.
    I am not sure if we had had this discussion before of not on another thread, But failure to me is lifting untill I lose form and or I can no longer move the weight. This has been working for me. All my lifts have gone up as well as I have gained aroung 10 pounds without gaining but maybe 1% BF. However I am starting to plateau after about 2 months.

Scorpion32
    AS for BGB I have not started it yet. I will be starting it after I get back from a coaches clinic next week.

Scorpion - about your plateau: are you still gaining weight?

Regarding cardio - I worked BGB into a cardio protocol in How to do Cardio if you must. Link is in my sig. You might want to toss in HIIT once or twice a week, and maybe a little post-workout ss cardio and or hill repeats once a week.

Just make sure you eat more to accommodate the extra activity or you won't gain well.

Scorpion32
    Built- Yes I am still gaining weight, but I am afraid that it is going to stop with the lack in strength.

Scorpion32
    Yes....Is that correct? I want to continue to gain some size as well as continue to gain some strength. I am only about 10-12 pounds away from being 185 which I feel is the size I want to be we will see when I get there. I want to look great, be strong, but not get freakishly big.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion32 View Post
    I am not sure if we had had this discussion before of not on another thread, But failure to me is lifting untill I lose form and or I can no longer move the weight. This has been working for me. All my lifts have gone up as well as I have gained aroung 10 pounds without gaining but maybe 1% BF. However I am starting to plateau after about 2 months.
    I didn't say you couldn't make gains going to failure, but you will eventually feel very burnt out. And yes, that is my idea of failure as well. Use the failure method if you like, but don't do it on every single workout.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 02-08-2007 at 06:05 PM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Scorpion32
    I am having a hard time understanding your method of lifting. Say you have 5 sets of 5. Do you lift just enough weight on each set that you will be sucessful?? If you tried to do 6 you would lose form?? How do you know when to go up in weight if you do not fail at your lift?? Forgive me for being stupid but I really don't understand when you would know when to go up in weight. I want to get stronger every time I go in the gym. Will that happen every time, no. But I strive for at least one more rep or more weight every time I go into the gym.