The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Powerlifting Terminology

This is intended to become a glossary of powerlifting terms that people new to the sport can refer to. I actually made it for another forum, but I'm sure it will get more use here. If you think of entries that I'm forgetting, I've overlooked, or misrepresented, please post a reply and I'll modify it.

ATF - Abbreviation of "ass to the floor". Also known as "ATG", meaning "ass to grass". SEE "full squat"

Bands - Large "rubber bands" used by powerlifters to increase resistance at the top/end of exercises like the squat, bench press, and deadlift.

Bench (press) Shirt - A shirt used in competitive powerlifting to increase the poundages lifted and add shoulder stability. Bench press shirts are generally made of 1 or 2 layers of polyester or denim.

Boards - 2x4inch boards used to shorten the range of motion while bench pressing and strengthen "lock-out" strength.

Bomb-out - To fail at every attempt at one of the competitive lifts (squat, bench press, deadlift) in a powerlifting meet.

Box Squat - Squatting down onto a box. Box squats can be used to gauge squatting depth or as an exercise by itself.

Briefs - "Underwear" worn in competition or in training while squatting to increase support and poundages.

Cambered Bar - A bar with a bend in it. The "camber" will change the center of gravity and can be used a tool to increase range of motion (on bench press), increase comfort on the shoulders (in the case of a "buffalo bar"), or strengthen weaknesses in the squat (w. the "cambered squat bar").

Chains - Heavy, large diameter chain used by powerlifters to increase resistance at the top of exercises such as the squat, bench press, and deadlift.

Deadlift Jack - A simple lever used to prop up a barbell off of the floor to make loading and unloading weights easier and faster.

Dime - A slang term for a 10 pound plate.

Erector Shirt - A polyester shirt used in the squat and deadlift which helps the lifter maintain proper posture throughout the lift.

flight - A grouping of lifters at a powerlifting competition. In larger competitions, lifters will be divided into groups called "flights" and compete taking turns making attempts within their flight.

Floor Press - A bench press variation used to strengthen the top half of the lift. To perform the floor press, the lifter lies on the ground and lowers the barbell until the back of the triceps touches the floor, then the weight is pressed back up.

Full squat - Squatting to the depth at which the hamstrings are resting on, or touching, the calves. Also known as "ATF (ass-to-floor) squats" and "ATG (ass-to-grass) squats".

Gear - Equipment. Sometimes used as slang for anabolic steroids.

Glute-Ham (Bench) - A special bench used to hit the glute and hamstring muscles. The lifter lies face down on the bench and does a combination hyperextension and leg curl to bring his/her upper body up to a position perpendicular to the floor.

Groove - The path the barbell should follow in the competitive lifts.

"in the hole" - The third lifter in line to lift at a powerlifting competition.

(The)Hole - Term used to describe the bottom of the squat movement.

IPF - The International Powerlifting Federation. The largest international powerlifting organization. It is a drug-tested federation and limits shirt and suit usage to single-ply polyester. http://www.powerlifting-ipf.com/

"Ironman" - a term for "Push-Pull"

Knee Wraps - A long piece material used to wrap the knees and provide support and assistance in the squat and, sometimes, the deadlift.

(The) "lock-out" - The last few inches in the range of motion in the bench press, squat, or deadlift.

Manta-Ray - A piece of hard plastic which fits on the bar and is used to make squatting more comfortable and raise the center of gravity - changing the stress of the exercise.

Miss - A failed attempt.

Monolift - A special kind of squat rack that enables the lifter to unrack and squat the weight without walking it out.

Nickel - A slang term for a 5 pound plate.

"on deck" - Being next in line to lift at a powerlifting competition

Open-Back - Term used to describe a [/b]Bench Press Shirt[/b] that has been cut down the center of the back.

"opener" - The first attempt of a squat, bench press, or deadlift at a powerlifting competition.

"parallel" - Squatting depth at which the crease at the hip is parallel to the top of the knee. Also called a "half-squat" by olympic lifters.

Partials - A word used to describe performing an exercise through only a portion of the normal range of motion. For example, bench press 'partials' might mean only performing from the chest to halfway up. There are many exercises that could be categorized as 'partials', such as high box squats, board presses, etc.

(to) Pass (a lift) - to give up one or more attempts at a competitive lift in a powerlifting competition.

Periodization - Organizing training into cycling 'periods' of varying intensity and/or volume to allow for better recovery and training adaptation.

Power Rack - A rack that has safety bars to catch the barbell if a trainee fails a lift.

Push-Pull - Bench press and deadlift

(A) "Quarter" - Slang for a 25 pound plate. (See also: "Wheel", "Nickel", "Dime"

RAW - A powerlifting term used to describe lifting with minimal or no supportive equipment. In most powerlifting organizations, the "raw" division allows only the use of a belt and knee wraps.

"Reds" - A powerlifting term used to refer to the signal/lights judges give to indicate a failed or illegal attempt in the competitive lifts. (See also: "Whites")

Reverse Hyper - An exercise in which the lifter stabilizes his/her upper body prone on a bench and the legs are kicked upward, stressing the lower back, hips, and hamstring muscles.

Safety Squat Bar - A special bar used for squat training that has extra padding around the neck and changes the center of gravity.

sled - A sled used by powerlifters for general conditioning and/or to strengthen muscles for the competitive lifts.

Sticking Point - A point in the range of motion for squat, bench press, or deadlift where the lifter often fails the lift.

"stone" - A unit of measurement for weight. 1 stone equals 14 pounds or 6.35 kilograms.

Supersuit - See SQUAT SUIT

Suit Slippers - Lycra stockings used to make putting on a squat or deadlift suit easier.

Squat Suit - A singlet, generally made of polyester or canvas, that provides support when squatting and, sometimes, deadlifting.

Total - The sum of the three lifts performed in a powerlifting competition - squat, bench press, and deadlift.

"touch and go" (bench press) - A bench press without a pause at the chest. Some bench press competitions are "touch and go" and competitors may begin pressing as soon as the bar touches the chest rather than waiting for a judge to give the "Press!" command.

Trap Bar - Also known as a 'hex bar'. A special barbell usually made in the shape of a square or hexagon. The lifter steps inside of the barbell and deadlifts and/or shrugs the weight.

tucked elbows - a style of benching in which the lifter keeps his/her elbows rotated inward and closer to the body, placing emphasis on tricep strength.

USAPL - The USA Powerlifting federation. One of several powerlifting federations in the United States. It is an affiliate of the IPF. http://www.usapowerlifting.com/home.shtml

Weight Releasers - A device used to add resistance at the top of a movement that "releases" the added weight at the bottom of the movement.

Westside - A gym in Ohio that is led by powerlifting guru, Louie Simmons. The Westside gym has produced many champion powerlifters and the "Westside System" of conjugated periodization. Westside is probably most famous for its use of bands, chains, and boards in their training.

"(A) Wheel" - slang for a 45 pound plate. (See also: "Quarter", "Dime", "Nickel")

"Whites" - A powerlifting term used to refer to the signal/lights judges give to indicate a successful attempt in the competitive lifts. (See also: "Reds")

WPO - The World Powerlifting Organization. A professional powerlifting organization offering prize money to competitors. Double and triple-ply suits and shirts are allowed. A monolift is used for the squat. http://www.worldpowerlifting.org/

Wrist Straps - Straps used to help the lifter hold onto the bar.

Wrist Wraps - Wraps used to support the wrists when lifting heavy weights.
    Last edited by Sensei; 06-25-2007 at 03:37 AM.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    Great post! Deserving of a Sticky...

Thanks ArchAngel! I have a feeling someone has probably already done this and I'm just reinventing the wheel...
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook

Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    Thanks ArchAngel! I have a feeling someone has probably already done this and I'm just reinventing the wheel...
    While that is true, that can be said for everything in life. Which is why I never understood why some people are snotty and think they are more intelligent than others just because they knew some things other didn't. As if they invented and thought up these ideas? No... Not at all. 99.9% of knowledge acquired in this world has been passed down through the years. Even people like Eistein, while incredably intelligent only contribute a very small portion to the encyclopedia of knowledge. My point? Your post was great and while others may have thought about doing something like that, you were the one to put it into action on this website.

If I can vote twice, I will vote... Second vote for sticky

Some adds:

Elite - The highest lievel lifters, achieved by lifting a pre-determined total for each weight class.

"Chucks" - Converse Chuck Taylor All-Star sneakers. A popular shoe for squatting because of its flat sole and rugged design.

Deload - A time period in a training cycle where a lifter will use lower weight and/or volume to aid in recovery and prepare for a meet or a new training cycle.

Suicide Grip - A thumbless benchpress grip.

Sled - An apparatus that is dragged (usually steel) for the purpose of conditioning and/or rehabilitation.

"Whites"/"Reds" - The color of the judges lights in a meet. 2-3 whites is a good lift. 2-3 reds is a bad lift.

Opener - Your first lift in each event at a meet.

Groove - The (correct) path of the bar throughout a lift.

That's all I have for now. Great idea Sensei.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Thanks Drew, I'll add them.

adding "touch and go". If you have anything else that should be added, let me know.

"PL" and "PR"... hey i dont know what those mean
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Powerlifting and Personal Record?
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

I would add:

"Texas " Bar - a thicker diameter barbell usually capable of holding more weight and that does not bend as much as an Oly bar.

Deadlift Suit (I see you kind of have it under Squat Suit, but they can be different)

Open Back/Closed Back - terms used to describe a style of bench shirt.

Chalk - chalk or magnesium carbonate powder used to aid grip.

Baby Powder - often applied to the front of the legs in order to assist sliding of the bar along the legs on the deadlift.

Rack Pulls, Rack Presses, Rack Squats - assistance exercises done with pins set at a desired height (usually above full ROM) to improve lockout strength or assist in breaking through sticking points.

Auxillary Exercises - any exercises that do not directly work muscles or simulate movements involved in the Big 3.

"The Big Three" - the three competitive lifts in the sport of powerlifting. They are the squat, bench, and deadlift.

Full Power - a powerlifting meet in which all of the "Big 3" lifts will be contested.

Ironman - a powerlifting meet in which only the Bench and Deadlift will be contested.
    Last edited by Guido; 03-08-2006 at 03:39 PM.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Wannabebig New Member

Ironman Lifting

Is now defined as no supportive gear, no wraps, no belt, and no drugs. It includes all 3 lifts. Ironman II is the same as Ironman except that a belt is allowed

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    I would add:

"Texas " Bar - a thicker diameter barbell usually capable of holding more weight and that does not bend as much as an Oly bar.

Deadlift Suit (I see you kind of have it under Squat Suit, but they can be different)

Open Back/Closed Back - terms used to describe a style of bench shirt.

Chalk - chalk or magnesium carbonate powder used to aid grip.

Baby Powder - often applied to the front of the legs in order to assist sliding of the bar along the legs on the deadlift.

Rack Pulls, Rack Presses, Rack Squats - assistance exercises done with pins set at a desired height (usually above full ROM) to improve lockout strength or assist in breaking through sticking points.

Auxillary Exercises - any exercises that do not directly work muscles or simulate movements involved in the Big 3.

"The Big Three" - the three competitive lifts in the sport of powerlifting. They are the squat, bench, and deadlift.

Full Power - a powerlifting meet in which all of the "Big 3" lifts will be contested.

Ironman - a powerlifting meet in which only the Bench and Deadlift will be contested.

Quote Originally Posted by sharky1 View Post
    Is now defined as no supportive gear, no wraps, no belt, and no drugs. It includes all 3 lifts. Ironman II is the same as Ironman except that a belt is allowed
    Um, since when?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Ironman

Quote Originally Posted by sharky1 View Post
    really? never heard that
    be nice if it's true.

Thanks Guido - I'll add them.

I'm not sure about "full power" and "ironman" - to be honest, I've only seen full power listed as a division in a few meets and I've never heard of "ironman" used to mean a push-pull meet. If it's really common and I just haven't heard them that often, let me know and I'll add them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    Thanks Guido - I'll add them.

I'm not sure about "full power" and "ironman" - to be honest, I've only seen full power listed as a division in a few meets and I've never heard of "ironman" used to mean a push-pull meet. If it's really common and I just haven't heard them that often, let me know and I'll add them.
    Don't know about Full Power, but I know that Ironman seems to be a pretty universal term for push/pull. There can be an ironman division within a full power meet, as well, so there aren't just ironman-only meets.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Is open back or closed back better for a bench shirt, or is it just personal preference?

I love me some me !
    this is great for newbies like me. When is the pocket version coming out lol?
    *Shrug* Your call though...-ArchAngel777 (I hate choosing though)

Stuck.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Thanks!

Another term to go over would be "flight" and perhaps the major organizations such as the APF and IPF, and how they differ. I'm a bit lazy right now and need to do a bit of work otherwise I'd type it out.

Just a suggestion.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Added: dime, nickel, quarter, wheel, open-back, and flight.

tucked (elbows)

flared (elbows)

i think that would be a good add.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

(The)Hole - Term used to describe the bottom of the squat movement.

Also:
    (In the) Hole - third next lifter to lift within a flight

On Deck - next lifter to lift within a flight

Platform - square, raised area where the lifting takes place. Often constructed from wood and with a rubber or carpet covering.

Weaker
    I'm not sure if this is specific to powerlifting, but i've always wondered, and tried searching for 'ATF squats'...what does 'ATF' stand for?
    Journal

BW: 12st/1168lbs
    Height: 5'9"
    Big hiatus, deciding on new goals...

portboy - ATF refers to "ass to floor" meaning, go as DEEP as possible. another term for this is ATG (ass to grass)
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW