The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Nick's journal... bigger, stronger, leaner!

I'm new to this forum but I've been posting at bodybuilding.com for a while now. Here's a link to my workout journal over there, which I will also continue here.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=628448

My long term goals are to get bigger and stronger while staying lean, so next fall I can run track in college. Currently I am lean bulking but I seem to be burning off fat slowly but surely as well... works for me!

Diet:
    2800-3000 calories, roughly 40/30/30 ratio for carbs/protein/fats
    I eat a lot of chicken breast and lean beef, occasional fish, and two whey protein shakes daily (breakfast and post-workout). My carbs currently come mainly from oats, Barilla Plus pasta, whole grains, and a lot of fruits and veggies. I really like sweet potatoes so I eat them whenever I can. For fats, it's mostly olive oil and peanut butter, and some fats from meat, cheese (I love string cheese), and legumes (big fan of the Campbell's Chunky Chili). I'm about to start a cycle of Molecular Nutrition's X-Factor so I will be really cutting back on the EFAs, especially the enriched Barilla Plus pasta, peanut butter, and olive oil... fats will be primarily from meat and cheese for a while.

Supplements:
    I have used two creatine/NO stacks extensively in the past... Controlled Labs' White Blood and Green Bulge, and Universal Nutrition's Shock Therapy and Storm. My last run of White Blood and Green Bulge, I also took CL's GlycerGrow (GG) and I liked that a lot. Currently I'm just taking GG and creatine (the leftover Storm) and will continue that while on XF. I also take an active multivitamin twice daily (breakfast and post-workout/dinner).

Training:
    I've done pyramids in the past but my current split is a modified 5x5. I much prefer split-body to full body and I've honed in on what works best for me at this stage.

Monday - chest/triceps
    5x5 bench press, incline DB press, weighted dips
    3x8-10 skullcrushers

Tuesday - back/biceps
    5x5 deadlift, weighted pullups, Dorian rows
    3x8-10 DB curls

Thursday - shoulders
    5x5 overhead press, rear upright rows, Arnold press, rear delt rows

Friday - legs
    5x5 squat, stiff-legged deadlift, leg press, leg curls

I train core every lifting day, alternating between low reps-high weight and adding weight with moderate reps and also between strictly abs, direct oblique work, and a mix. Core training is boring, so I like to switch it up to keep it fresh. On my off days, I like to do some full body circuit training to promote recovery and sprint intervals.

So yeah... here's my journal. Feel free to post in here or PM me if you've got any questions, comments, suggestions, or whatever!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Here are my stats as of 2/6/06:

Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 182
    Chest: 43"
    Waist: 33"
    Biceps: 15.75"
    Forearms: 13"
    Thigh: 25.5"
    Calves: 15.5"

And the weights I'm currently using for my favorite lifts in 5x5:

bench press - 225
    incline DB press - 75
    deadlift - 355
    underhanded bent over (Dorian) rows - 175
    overhead press - 135
    Arnold press - 60
    squat - 295
    SLDL - 265
    leg press - 445

I started on the XF today. As per the directions, I'll be taking 4 caps daily: 1 in the morning, 2 pre-workout, and 1 before bed. Here's a quick summary of this supplement so you guys know what I'm doing.

---

X-Factor

Directions: Take 1000mg daily for 50 days even on days you don't workout. Split up your dosage and take the largest dosage 1 hour before you weight train.

Typical Gains:
    1-2 lbs average per week in lean muscle mass gains
    fat loss
    strength gains
    great pumps

Avoid: Omega 3's (flax/fish oil supplements), high olive oil use, high fish intake (try to limit to 2 servings per week), high peanut butter intake (including peanut butter in protein bars), milk thistle, CLA, NAC, Tylenol, aspirin, Ibuprofen, or other anti-inflammatory drugs/supplements while take X-Factor.

Where to Get Dietary Fats: The majority of dietary fat while using X-Factor should come from animal sources such as whole milk, cream, cheese, fatty beef, and dark poultry meat. Extra Virgin Coconut oil is also a superb choice of fat to use while on X-Factor.

Side Effects: Most commonly users may experience more than normal levels of soreness from workouts and/or oils skin/pimples.

Additional Info: Although every user will respond differently, most users experience the soreness as early as the end of week 1 with noticeable gains in the 2-3 week range. If you don't see results be the end of week 3, contact us so that we may review your diet more closely to see if there may be something interfering with the product. Fat loss is pretty significant so monitor your calories based on your goals and needs.

X-Factor does stack well with other products including vasodilators, creatine, and androgens. However, we do recommend that X-Factor be taken by itself if taking it for the first time. In this way, the user can more easily distinguish the benefits of the product. Typically, users who use X-Factor during PCT from a hormonal cycle will not see the 1-2 lbs per week gains due to suppressed testosterone levels. However, the product may be effective in helping maintain more of the gains than if going through PCT without it.

Does X-Factor Require PCT? NO! NO! NO! X-Factor is not a hormone and does not require any kind of PCT or liver supplements and will not suppress natural testosterone.

---

Basically, the way XF works is it increases the amount of arachidionic acid circulating in the body and released from your muscles, and if you're training hard, it can go towards the formation of prostaglandins which in the case of training, repair and build up muscle tissue at a greater rate than normal. From what I understand, it should be like getting newbie gains all over again... burning fat and building muscle at the same time!

Oh yeah, and I feel like a fatty. My lunch today was a good 600 calories of things I wouldn't normally eat. I had about 6oz of baked ham, 1 cup butternut squash, a glass of milk, and a slice of whole grain bread with butter.

wow, i like your routine, might have to try it out. that XF stuff sounds kinda crazy. good luck on the bulk.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

Hey Nick, the routine's lookin good and the numbers are doin really well.
    25 years old, 5'10''

Back in the States to get hayooooge!

Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer

First workout on X-Factor!

2/23/06

Shoulders

Overhead Press
    warmup 5x65
    5x135
    5x135
    5x135
    5x135
    5x135

Rear Upright Rows
    5x145
    5x145
    5x145
    5x145
    5x145

Arnold Press
    5x60
    5x60
    5x60
    3x60
    2x60

Rear Delt Rows
    5x65
    5x65
    5x65
    5x65
    5x65

Abs:
    20x crunches
    20x hanging reverse crunches
    20x Swiss ball crunches

Notes:
    I felt strong as **** on the overhead presses, started to reach some failure on the rear upright rows with the upped weight towards the last couple sets so I'll stick with that weight. I got a feeling of warmth, like a rush, when I was on the 3rd set of overhead presses. I don't know if that's the XF doing it's thing yet. It's too early I think. I had a really good workout though. Bumping up the calories to 500 more a day I think will help me lift more and more as time goes on. I already felt more energetic with more food in me.

2/24/06

Legs

Squat
    warmup 5x135 5x225
    5x305
    5x305
    5x305
    5x305
    4x305

SLDL on 6" box (longer ROM)
    warmup 5x135
    5x225
    5x225
    5x225
    5x225
    5x225

Leg Press
    5x455
    5x455
    5x455
    5x455
    5x455

Leg Curl
    5x170
    5x170
    5x170
    4x170
    5x170

Abs:
    20x crunches
    20x hanging reverse crunches
    20x 35lb DB side bends

Notes:
    Today's was a crazy good workout. I know it's too early for the XF to be kicking in, but the increase in dietary intake definitely is. I had a lot more energy, felt a lot stronger, and I definitely think I'll be putting up more and more weight in time. The 305 squats felt a lot lighter initially than I expected and I had 5 great sets. Usually I dread squats but love them... today I just loved them.

If your taking X-F, MAKE ****ING SURE YOUR DIET IS TO A T TO WHAT MOLECULAR NUTRITION PRESCRIBE. NO EFAS, NUTS, OLIVE OIL, NO ANTI INFLAMMATORIES ETC.

Good luck.

*to those not in the know about X-F, you can't take any anti inflammatory supps/foods, as it ****s with X-F. No EFAs you say? NOPE. **** that I say.
    Poo is also LBM - The Built

Quote Originally Posted by brickt.
    If your taking X-F, MAKE ****ING SURE YOUR DIET IS TO A T TO WHAT MOLECULAR NUTRITION PRESCRIBE. NO EFAS, NUTS, OLIVE OIL, NO ANTI INFLAMMATORIES ETC.

Good luck.

*to those not in the know about X-F, you can't take any anti inflammatory supps/foods, as it ****s with X-F. No EFAs you say? NOPE. **** that I say.
    Yeah, I know. I've been cooking with butter, eating a lot more cheese, and I haven't been trimming as much fat of my meat to get the extra calories and make sure I'm not taking in too many "good" fats which would throw XF off. I feel like a disgusting pig doing this but it's only for 50 days.

I weighed myself first thing this morning at my girlfriend's house (where I will weigh in each weekend in the morning for the sake of consistency) and I was 184. Being that it's not been even a week into XF, I believe I can safely attribute this to what is essentially carb-loading, due to the 500 calorie increase in my dietary intake, most of which is carbohydrates and protein (I should note that instead of adding good fats such as olive oil to cook in, I'm just not cutting as much off when I cook my meats). For every gram of glycogen the body stores in the liver and muscles, there are 6 grams of water attached to it. The real gains I believe will start to come soon!
    Last edited by superhombre2k; 02-26-2006 at 12:26 PM.

2/27/06

Chest

Bench Press
    warmup 10x135
    5x225
    5x225
    4x225
    2x225
    1x225

Incline DB Press
    5x70
    5x70
    5x70
    5x70
    4x70

Dips
    5x35
    5x35
    5x35
    5x35
    4x35

Abs:
    10x crunches
    15x hanging reverse crunches
    15x Swiss ball crunches

Notes:
    I had a lousy workout today. I tried to make the most of it by knocking the numbers down and shooting for a good feel first and foremost, but a number of things really took the fire out of me today. I don't really want to go into it. I think I was a little gung ho in trying to hit 225 for reps in bench prematurely, so I'm bringing it back down to 215 and working back up slowly, same with the 70's for incline DB. I should also bring the Arnold press weight down 5 or 10lbs on shoulder day since I'm stagnating there as well.

Tonight, my workout was much better but it was also a bit shorter. I had a court date this afternoon and had to work at night, so I was lucky to get into the gym at all before they closed.

2/28/06

Back

Deadlift
    warmup 5x135 5x225
    5x355
    5x355
    5x355
    5x355
    5x355

Weighted Pullups
    5x20
    5x20
    4x20
    4x20
    4x20

And that was all she wrote. The Y up here needs to be 24 hour. I'm starting to get the hang of eating 600 calorie meals. That extra 100 calories is not easy hehe, especially with the new dietary guidelines for X-Factor. It's going to be worth it though, I just know it!

I should note now while I'm thinking about it, that I am so sore all over. I find that I'm also a lot more hungry than usual and I feel kind of tired. Without a doubt, XF is kicking in now. It's still tough to get in all the calories, especially now that my stupid parents took away my Magic Bullet 16oz blender. It's kind of hard to get in the oats and frozen fruit if you've got nothing to chop them up and mix into a drinkable shake. Bitches.

3/2/06

Shoulders

Overhead Press
    warmup 5x65
    5x135
    5x135
    5x135
    5x135
    5x135

Rear Upright Row
    5x145
    5x145
    5x145
    5x145
    5x145

Arnold Press
    5x55
    5x55
    5x55
    4x55
    4x55

Rear Delt Row
    5x65
    5x65
    5x65
    5x65
    5x65

Abs:
    15x crunches
    15x hanging reverse crunches
    15x Swiss ball crunches

Notes:
    This week has just been hectic. I've been more tired than usual, getting meals in has been difficult (but I've done it), today my iPod battery died about 15 seconds into the very first set, and then I forgot my gym shorts so I was wearing pants and the bar kept getting caught on my belt with the rear upright rows. Oh well. I cranked out some killer sets anyways. I brought the Arnold press down to 55 because I'd been stuck for like a month on 60, so I figure a little back-tracking and not failing too early will help me bounce back. On the bright side, I got some pretty intense pumps today and I'm really feeling this marked increase in soreness and my appetite is as ravenous as ever.

3/3/06

Legs

Squat
    warmup 5x135 3x225
    5x305
    5x305
    5x305
    5x305
    5x305

SLDL
    warmup 5x135
    5x225
    5x225
    5x225
    5x225
    5x225

Leg Press
    5x465
    5x465
    5x465
    5x465
    5x465

Leg Curl
    5x175
    5x175
    5x175
    5x175
    4x175

Abs:
    2x15 crunches
    2x15 hanging reverse crunches
    2x15 Swiss ball crunches

Notes:
    Yep. I'm sore as ****, I feel strong as an ox, and I have to piss like a racehorse. Thank you XF, dedicated training and diet, and excessive water consumption hehe. I drank (3) 20oz bottles of water in the hour and a half I was at the gym alone. I had a killer workout. Next week, I'm taking squats up 10lbs to TRIPLE PLATES, BABY! As much as I want to go skiing this weekend, something tells me I will be too sore to move tomorrow. Well, it's meal time again!

This morning, I weighed 184 again.

In the first week, I upped my calorie intake from 2500 calories to 3000 calories and was 184 at the end of the week. The previous few weeks I'd been right around 182. I seem to be a little leaner. I know the fat loss is supposed to be considerable but I'm wonder just how much... I want to get bigger as well. One more week at 3000 and if I don't gain weight, I'm going to 3500. It's hard to eat that much though... I might have to do 7 meals at 500 calories or 6 at 600 each instead of 5 at 700.

3/6/06

Chest/Triceps

Bench Press
    warmup 5x135
    5x215
    5x215
    5x215
    5x215
    4x215

Incline DB Press
    5x70
    5x70
    5x70
    5x70
    5x70

Weighted Dips
    5x40
    5x40
    5x40
    5x40
    4x40

Skullcrushers
    10x65
    8x65
    8x65

Abs:
    3x10 crunches
    3x10 hanging reverse crunches
    3x10 Swiss ball crunches

Notes:
    The last few weeks, my Monday workouts have been absolute ****. I looked back through my journal and figured out that I have been trying to push my numbers up prematurely, so I knocked some down and I'm working my way back up the right way even if it kills my ego hehe. For example, benching 215 certainly felt easy, as I didn't even need a spotter until my last set, where I only got 4 reps. I'll stick with 215 next week and get that 5th rep before moving to 220. Similarly, I'll spend another week with the 70's for incline DB press before advancing to the 75's again. We'll have to see what ungodly level of soreness I have tomorrow to evaluate the X-Factor because I had all weekend to eat big and rest big, so I'm pretty much feeling like a million bucks. I got some great pumps at the gym if that's any indicator!

On an unrelated note, skiing tonight actually wasn't bad. It's been a few degrees above freezing the last few days, so all the real snow we got last weekend is pretty much gone, but the mountain has kept their snow guns and groomers on all night. I'm in the northeast so I take what I can get and I appreciate it!

Despite having an absolutely tumultuous morning gastrointestinally, I had a very good workout. Perhaps it was karma, for stealing one of those giant 25oz beer mugs from the restaurant last night, or maybe it was just the nuclear hot wings, but holy **** my ****ing ******* is like bleeding. At first I was getting really crampy this morning and took a power dump as soon as I got out of my first class, it was like a big hard thing that clogged the toilet. Towards the end of my next class, I felt some pressure backing up, like a dam about to burst, and I bolted to the bathroom immediately upon dismissal for some seriously incendiary diarrhea. With the lava flow, my ass actually felt just like my mouth did eating the wings, except the ass is much more sensitive. I was thinking to myself, how am I supposed to deadlift with an inflamed anus? What if this is a side effect of the pro-inflammatory X-Factor? I can't go for another month with a bleeding, burning anus!

Without further ado, my workout:

3/7/06

Back/Biceps

Deadlift
    warmup 5x135 5x225
    5x365
    4x365
    5x365
    5x365
    4x365

Weighted Pull-ups
    5x20
    5x20
    4x20
    3x20
    4x20

Dorian Rows
    5x175
    5x175
    5x175
    5x175
    5x175

DB curls
    8x40
    8x40
    7x40

Abs:
    2x15 spazzes
    2x15 35lb DB side bends
    2x15 broom twists

Notes:
    Holy hell, I got such a strong pump in my biceps and forearms, I'm having a hard time typing this. It's borderline painful! I was getting really sore towards the end of my workout, usually I don't feel sore until hours later or the next day. I felt very strong with all my lifts. I wish the bars weren't all worn down and I could grip them with my bare hands instead of using a paper towel to increase the friction for deads in particular (I just end up with torn up hands for the other lifts). So yeah, whenever I do my deads and bent over rows, my big deadlift/squatter bum sticks out I can just imagine a fellow forum member going 'whoa strong ass' hehe.

Today I had to split my workout into two chunks. I ran out of time in between classes, so I went back after as well.

3/9/06

Shoulders

Overhead Press
    warmup 5x65
    5x145 OOPS... I don't know what I was thinking loading on extra yet
    5x135
    5x135
    5x135
    4x135

Rear Upright Row
    5x150
    5x150
    5x150
    5x150
    4x150

*2 hours later*

Arnold Press
    warmup 5x25
    5x55 easy
    5x60
    5x60
    5x60
    5x60

Rear Delt Row
    5x70
    5x70
    5x70
    5x70
    5x70

Notes:
    Didn't do abs, not enough time again. I might do them later tonight if I'm feeling like digging out the Swiss ball from my girlfriend's house after I get out of work. I still had a pretty solid workout considering the circumstances of rushing around and having to split it up. I had some insane back soreness last night from deadlifts on Tuesday and I'm attributing that to XF because I'm not that sore anymore usually. Great pump today in the shoulders and arms, too! I'm very excited about repping 315 with squats tomorrow, I hope my back feels alright by then.

3/10/06

Legs

Squat
    warmup 5x135 5x225
    5x315
    5x315
    5x315
    4x315
    4x315

SLDL
    warmup 5x135
    5x235
    5x235
    5x235
    5x235
    5x235

Leg Press
    5x465
    5x465
    5x465
    5x465
    5x465

Leg Curl
    5x175
    5x175
    5x175
    5x175
    4x175

AbsL
    3x10 crunches
    2x10 DB side bends, 35lbs
    3x10 Swiss ball crunches

Notes:
    Holy ****... 3 plates on the squat! That was like my max in November! I'm very happy with that. My lower back gets VERY involved in squatting so when I went to do the SLDL's, it was very difficult (read: ****ing hard). I was very sore and had an INTENSE back pump... I can see why people don't recommend NO while on X-Factor! Even this morning after having breakfast and drinking some water, I felt mildly pumped all over, and the DOMS was pretty obvious. I stretched out between sets and by the 3rd set I was feeling fine again. I went all out all week in the gym and at the dinner table... I can't wait to see where my weight is in the morning.

Can you give me some feedback about how you'd rate XF at this stage?
    Poo is also LBM - The Built

I weighed myself first thing this morning and I'm 184 AGAIN! I bumped up my diet by about 500 calories a day this past week, to roughly 3500-3700 calories. I think I will try to bring it up to 4000 calories a day and see if that does anything...

I have been making gains in my lifts and my girlfriend says I seem slimmer, so maybe I'm losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time? I am only at the 2.5 week mark on XF, about 2/3 the way through the first bottle, and it's been said that after 2 weeks, it really starts to kick in, so it is possible that the benefits are just beginning. I am definitely experiencing a marked increase in DOMS, I feel very energetic at the gym and really want to work out more even after I'm done for the day, and the pump is like whoa... my back was killing me yesterday after squatting.

So far, so good? I mean, I'm eating well over maintenance and I seem to be losing fat and gaining LBM at the same time... this might be an excellent supplement for cutting AND bulking. Only time will tell! As of right now, I'm giving it a thumbs up.
    Last edited by superhombre2k; 03-11-2006 at 08:03 AM.

3/13/06

Chest

Bench Press
    warmup 10x135
    5x215
    5x215
    5x215
    5x215
    4x215

Incline DB Press
    5x70
    5x70
    5x70
    5x70
    5x70

Dips
    5x40
    5x40
    5x40
    5x40
    5x40

Skullcrushers
    10x65
    10x65
    10x65

Abs:
    3x10 crunches
    3x10 Swiss ball crunches

Notes:
    Very solid workout today. I had an insane pump in my triceps and forearms. I learned a trick a while back for getting the most out of my workouts. Squeeze the **** out of the bar as you're performing ANY lift and it gives you more power and helps you get out that last rep you might otherwise not get. I have some pretty deep soreness throughout my body, but most noticeably in part of the trapezious... the middle of my back between my shoulder blades... and my legs.

3/14/06

Back

Deadlift
    warmup 5x135 5x225
    5x365
    5x365
    5x365
    5x365
    5x365

Weighted Pullups
    5x20
    5x20
    4x20
    3x20
    4x20

Dorian Rows
    5x175
    5x175
    4x175
    5x175
    4x175

Abs:
    3x10 decline crunches
    3x10 35lb DB side bends
    3x10 decline broom twists

Notes:
    I didn't have a great workout today. I felt drained but I pushed through. I have a feeling I'm going to need to start my pull-ups over at bodyweight because I'm both gaining weight and I've always kind of been slow to develop strength on that lift.

I just got back from the gym. A couple of friends were supposed to meet me there so I could show them a full body workout they could do every time they had a chance to go because they're not the types who would go on the same days week in and week out. I guess they're really not dedicated since THEY DIDN'T SHOW UP! I did the workout anyways... being that I was pretty sore, I went with much lighter weight for everything and just cranked out reps to get a nice pump.

Bench Press 20x135
    Pullups 7 (did these yesterday, wow I'm sore)
    Incline Bench Press 20x115
    Chinups 8
    DB Pullovers 10x65
    DB Row 10x50
    Incline DB Curls 10x30
    Squat 10x225
    10 minutes of sprint intervals around the little track (100m?!)

So yeah, it was more of a hard cardio than anything else hehe.