The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

% of Cals that should come from Prot/Fat/Carb and other misc ?'s

Hello all. Pretty new to the board, but i've been reading here for quite a few weeks.

I did a search, read guidelines etc, looking for some way to narrow down my question but didn't find anything as specific.

I am 6'1. 212 lbs. 19 yrs old. My body fat lvl is 12%. I am currently in a cutting phase. I work out 4-6 days a week. I am currently doing 0 cardio, as i was doing way too mutch during my bulking phase.

Anyways, i've been fit-daying my diet, which is slowly being refined, as i've only recently got my diet for my very first cut in order. Any suggestions???

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...l?Owner=woshka

Well, to the point. I realize I need a minimum of 215 grams of protein (which is near impossible to do!) in order to maintain muscle mass. My 1 pound a week loss requires me to lower my daily caloric intake to roughly 2500 a day, Keeping that in mind, What should be the percentage of calories that I take in from protein, fat, carbs? As of now, I'm trying to have a high protein caloric intake, (50% or better) a fair amount of fat, and as low a carb intake as possible.

What are the suggestions? I'm considering having to add another all protein meal to my diet to both up the calories and upp the protein. I'm usually about 2000 or so calories for the day, which is much less than where I should be (500 calories or so). Is this a bad thing?

Also, any tips on getting in that extra protein!

Supplements I'm taking, ZMApm, NoXplode, HotRox, Ephadrin HCL, 100% optimum whey (going to get on Nitrean or something with Casein in it after i'm done with this horrible tasting stuff).

what is the ideal cocktail mix for caffein/ephedrin in mg?
    Last edited by Eszekial; 02-23-2006 at 02:48 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Read builts help with diet sticky this will answere most if not all of your questions. You no how much protein you need and this is not impossible. 1100 cals a day is far far to low.

Extra protein how about whey powder/chicken/beef/fish anything like this
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

Good to see your priorites are right - got all those supplements without a clue WRT diet.

There are 4 calories in a gram of protein and carbs. 9 in a gram of fat.

You say you need a minimum of 215g of protein a day (where did you get that number?). That's 860 calories. Take the remaining 1640 and cut them in half. That's about 205g carbs, and about 91g fat. That's also damn close to isocaloric, and a good place to start. You may find you prefer more or less carbs - so long as you get enough fats, it doesn't matter all that much.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Eszekial
    Hello all. Pretty new to the board, but i've been reading here for quite a few weeks.

I did a search, read guidelines etc, looking for some way to narrow down my question but didn't find anything as specific.

I am 6'1. 212 lbs. 19 yrs old. My body fat lvl is 12%. I am currently in a cutting phase. I work out 4-6 days a week. I am currently doing 0 cardio, as i was doing way too mutch during my bulking phase.

Anyways, i've been fit-daying my diet, which is slowly being refined, as i've only recently got my diet for my very first cut in order. Any suggestions???

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...l?Owner=woshka

Well, to the point. I realize I need a minimum of 215 grams of protein (which is near impossible to do!)
    With 212 lbs on you, at 12% bodyfat, a good rule of thumb for minimum protein being at least a gram per pound LBM, your minimum daily protein dose is around 190g. You may very well choose to go higher - I have around 110 lbs LBM and I like my protein near 200g per day.

Fats start at half that - for you, around 95g per day is a good place to start.

The rest of your cals from anywhere that keeps you comfortable.

Percentages based on total calories are meaningless, because they're based on a moving target. Dosing them based on LBM is more meaningful.

in order to maintain muscle mass. My 1 pound a week loss requires me to lower my daily caloric intake to roughly 2500 a day, Keeping that in mind, What should be the percentage of calories that I take in from protein, fat, carbs? As of now, I'm trying to have a high protein caloric intake, (50% or better) a fair amount of fat, and as low a carb intake as possible.

What are the suggestions? I'm considering having to add another all protein meal to my diet to both up the calories and upp the protein. I'm usually about 2000 or so calories for the day, which is much less than where I should be (500 calories or so). Is this a bad thing?

Also, any tips on getting in that extra protein!

Supplements I'm taking, ZMApm, NoXplode, HotRox, Ephadrin HCL, 100% optimum whey (going to get on Nitrean or something with Casein in it after i'm done with this horrible tasting stuff).

what is the ideal cocktail mix for caffein/ephedrin in mg?
    What's so hard about getting in the extra protein? I get in more protein than you from just food - chicken breast, steak, cottage cheese, eggs Ö

Read the sticky linked to in my sig and see if this helps you at all. What's with all the supps? What do you think they do for you?

E:C dosing is 1:10. Start with 8mg E with 100 mg C and see how it feels before titrating up. Do a search, it's been covered many times.

You may be training too much. What kind of rep range are you using?

Thank you very much for the reply!
    It's hard for me to get in the protein because of my job. I work for a commercial lending institution. There is no such thing as time off! This job is competative. But the money is there. It's hard to sit down for a meal.

I don't take the supplements on a regular basis. The NoXplode was mostly for energy as I usually work out late in the evening, and by them i'm exhausted from my 10-11 hour work day. I sometimes work out in the morning, but it's hard to do this consistantly and get 8 hours of sleep. When i'm done with the bottle I won't be buying anymore. Yes, I do realize that some of the things holding me back are my own problems, and I will eventually take care of them.

The Hot Rox is for my caffein intake. I have no outside sources, and it's a lot quicker then making coffee or tea etc. Not recommended?

I generally do 8-12 reps for 4-6 sets. I workout 2 or even 3 times a day some days if I can (mostly weekends) for about 30 minuts a pop. Not recommended?

Should I still be trying to gain functional strength while cutting, or is this a no no? Should I not be increasing weights still? this is my first real cut that didn't consist of ballistic fasting! (stupid!)

I very much appreciate the information!!!! Thank you very very much!
    Last edited by Eszekial; 02-23-2006 at 05:10 PM.

I'm being intentionally harsh. Mostly because I'm sick of seeing beginners get supplements first, and figure out the basics later.

It isn't your fault - that's what the mags tell you.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Umm, i'm not sure what your problem with those supplements are, and how it is that i have no clue what i'm doing. I'll admit i'm very new to this... But way to be harsh. I didn't just buy these supplements! I've had them since i began training. I'm no supplement junkey. I don't know why you would insuate that.
    I wasn't being harsh; I asked you a question.

Please describe to me what these particular supplements do for you. I'd like to know. Of the ones you list (ZMApm, NoXplode, HotRox, Ephadrin (I think you mean Ephedrine) HCL, 100% optimum whey) I'm aware that ZMA can elevate test in nutrient deficient individuals (but not above normal levels), NoXplode is a vasodilator (not sure why you need it now), HotRox I've never taken, Ephedrine works with caffeine as a thermogen/appetite suppressant, and of course it's a decongestant, and ON whey is the brand I use, when I bother with whey at all. I want to know why YOU'RE taking these supps.

If you are saying something else, forgive my ignorance.
    Consider yourself forgiven.

My understanding is that I need a minimum of 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. i've read this in numerous publications. 1.5 per lbs is generally the recommended. That's where I got the number. Is this wrong?
    It's a gram per pound LBM as a minimum. In lean individuals, it's a moot point. In the obese, it becomes problematic.

Thank you very much for the reply!
    It's hard for me to get in the protein because of my job. I work for a commercial lending institution. There is no such thing as time off! This job is competative. But the money is there. It's hard to sit down for a meal.
    Knock back a few shakes if ya' gotta.

I don't take the supplements on a regular basis. The NoXplode was mostly for energy as I usually work out late in the evening, and by them i'm exhausted from my 10-11 hour work day. I sometimes work out in the morning, but it's hard to do this consistantly and get 8 hours of sleep. When i'm done with the bottle I won't be buying anymore. Yes, I do realize that some of the things holding me back are my own problems, and I will eventually take care of them.

The Hot Rox is for my caffein intake. I have no outside sources, and it's a lot quicker then making coffee or tea etc. Not recommended?
    No problem. I do the same thing with caffeine tabs. Quick, cheap, and I hate coffee.

I generally do 8-12 reps for 4-6 sets. I workout 2 or even 3 times a day some days if I can (mostly weekends) for about 30 minuts a pop. Not recommended?
    On a cut, the most important thing is to convince your body that the metabolically expensive muscle it would MUCH rather ditch is worth keeping around.

Lift heavy and short. Your rep range and volume is too high for a cut. Save that for a bulk, when you have more energy and you can try to gain some muscle. Dieting is more like damage control than anything else - you're convincing your body to risk manage your LBM during a recession.

Thank you so much! Your pictures look fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg
    I'm being intentionally harsh. Mostly because I'm sick of seeing beginners get supplements first, and figure out the basics later.

It isn't your fault - that's what the mags tell you.

Please enlighten me. I'm pretty new to the hardcore bodybuilding scene.

I'm not some moronic consumer who buys into adds. Please tell me where I went wrong.

Thanks Eszekial.

Supp companies try to sell you all kinds of crap - it's how they make money.

Most veteran BB eat food, and take a few food supps for stuff we're missing (fish oil, vitamin C...). Other stuff like weight gainers, fat burners ... we tend to make our own. Even creatine - I just get monohydrate, mix it with sugarfree whey and my own dextrose I buy cheap from a U-brew.

I've never seen a U-Brew store before. Is there an online one you use? Do you go to one on foot?