The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: For the Love

For the Love

So, I've decided to start a journal because I already keep track of my training and my diet, but i figured this might be even more beneficial.

So this journal is for the love of being able to change your body at free will. Furthermore, it is for the love of all those times that something related to eating or bodybuilding comes up in a conversation and you confuse people without even scratching the surface. Like, when you say the phrase healthy fat, or muscle glycogen. "Cricket, cricket,cricket. Ummmm, doh!" You haven't even begun to talk and the person your talking to is already in la la land because they don't have a clue what you are saying.

First official post comes tomorrow. I'm starting Meltdown Training on the NHE eating plan. I just finished 4 weeks of Beyond Failure Training and am feeling a little overworked. Too much clubbing, too much lovely intensity, and low carbs does not a healthy bodybuilder make. Maybe I should just take a week off.

Bodyweight is measured each morning upon rising.

~ACE~
    Last edited by aeckhardt; 01-15-2002 at 02:16 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

right on! i like having discussions on insulin response. their eyes glaze over. kinda like the donut they are usually holding when i have this discussion. *lol*
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Cardio.

No cardio yet, although I might later in the day.

Diet.

M1- 4 eggs
    M2- (postworkout) 1 protein shake, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 8 cubic inches of chicken.
    M3- 3 oz. of nuts (macademia, almond, pecan)
    M4- 10 cubic inches of steak, 1 tbl of natty pb
    M5- 4 cubic inches of chicken with cheese.
    M6- 1 oz of macademia nuts

Cals: 2174 Fat: 136 Protein: 210 Carbs: 30

Overall Comments.

I feel good today. Trying to decide how long to continue on Meltdown Training and what to do when I am done. Possibly a high volume program like GVT2000?, that way I could cycle back into Beyond Faillure Training and really cause some growth.

Must eat fewer nuts!

Weight.

165 lbs. The calipers say 7% bodyfat, but I think it is more like 10%.

Sleep.

6 hours. Rough, but not as bad as expected. Instead of coming in at 6 am as thought, I came in around 4.

Supplements.

Multi-vitamin, fish oils, L-Arginine, L-Glutamine, T2 Pro, MD6, Calcium, Fiber.

Training.

3 circuits of:
    Pull-Down - 12 X 10 reps
    Squats - 135 X 10 reps
    Push Ups - 10 reps
    Deadlifts - 135 X 10 reps

1 Set:
    Hanging Leg Raises - 10
    Incline Leg Raise - 10

1 Set of straight arm short ROM pullovers in an attempt to hit Pec Minors. Thought I'd give it a try after reading this week's issue of T-Mag.

Training Comments.

So today was the first day of Meltdown training. It felt weird to switch up the tempo and slow down the concentric instead of the eccentric. We'll see if it works as it should. The intensity level was low, but only because I want to rest at least a little and i will be hitting the same muscles three more times throughout the week.
    Last edited by aeckhardt; 01-15-2002 at 09:13 AM.

Cardio.

10 min. HIIT

Diet.

M1- 4 cubic inches of flank steak
    M2- (postworkout) 1 protein shake, 1/2 serving of accelerate
    M3- 3 cubic inches of flank steak, 15 grams of fiber
    M4- 3 cubic inches of flank steak, 5 g fish oil
    M5- 3 cubic inches of flank steak, 5 g fish oil
    M6- 3 cubic inches of flank steak, 15 grams of fiber
    M7- 1 chicken breast.
    M8- Arugula salad with grilled chicken. (whoops)

Cals: 1379 Fat: 46 Protein: 199 Carbs: 25

Overall Comments.

Mmmm, well today feels good. I've decided to change eating to a little less fat and 30 g or so of carbs postworkout. I look full, abs look great, but just wanna get that last little thing on the lower abs. Can't wait to get back to a Hypertrophy routine and put back some mass on the pecs/ lats/ bi's- **** it - all over.

Weight.

164 lbs. The calipers say 7% bodyfat, but I think it is more like 10%.

Sleep.

7 hours. Long night in the city again, should just sleepover.

Supplements.

Multi-vitamin, fish oils, L-Arginine, L-Glutamine, T2 Pro, MD6, Calcium, Fiber, fiber, and mmmm more fiber.

Training.

3 circuits of:
    Push Press - 65 X 10 reps
    Squats - 135 X 10 reps
    Dips - BW + 30 X10 reps
    BB Row - 115 X10 reps

2 Sets:
    Hanging Leg Raises with twist - 10

1 Set of DB Bench Press just to get a little more pump, couple reps short of failure. 120 X10

1 set Reverse Flys in an attempt to slowly correct scapular winging. 20 X 10

Training Comments.

So today was the second day of Meltdown training. The circuits tired me out a little more today from lack of carbs and from bumping up intensity just a tad.
    Last edited by aeckhardt; 01-16-2002 at 08:51 AM.

Cardio.

10 min. HIIT

Diet.

M1- 5 cubic inches of flank steak
    M2- 4 Eggs
    M3- Large salad with chicken
    M4- Large salad with chicken

Cals: ?Fat: ?Protein: ?Carbs: ?

Overall Comments.

I don't know what happened to my eating yesterday. Interesting to note though that I didn't drop any weight whatsoever. I have no idea how that is possible. Today I think I'll eat more nuts becuase my body seems to react well to them. I'm considering trying a higher carb diet for fat loss, because I've been doing low carb for a long time and I don't see those last pounds coming off. Maybe next week though when I start a higher volume routine.

So the past two days have been supremo sucko for me. This is the first time I have ever screwed up on my eating. Ususlaly I get exactly what I need so this has kinda pissed me off. I would have eaten, but I was in NYC all day walking the streets with another date. God **** why does my body have to be so attractive that it makes it so easy to get dates. I mean seriously. J/k.

Weight.

164 lbs. The calipers say 7% bodyfat, but I think it is more like 10%.

Sleep.

7 1/2 hours. Long night in the city again, should just sleepover. Luckily I don't have to wake up early in the morning.

Supplements.

Multi-vitamin, fish oils, T2 Pro, MD6, Calcium, Fiber, fiber, and mmmm more fiber.

Training.

Training Comments.

Rest day.
    Last edited by aeckhardt; 01-17-2002 at 09:56 AM.

Cardio.

5 Min. of HIIT Postworkout. I've decided that cardio isn't really all that neccesary in my life because hey it sucks the big one. Plus, I go clubbin half of the week for 6 or more hours at a time, and I don't need any more catabolic, non meal eataing times filling up my schedule considering by the end of the night I've danced my ass off and am completely dehydrated.

Diet.

M1- 4 eggs

M2 - (postworkout) 1/2 cup of oatmeal, 1/2 apple, 20 g protein shake, 15 g fiber

M3 - 3 cubic inches of flank steak, 1/4 cup of pecans, 2 bran slices.

M4 through M6 - 1 9 oz. can of tuna with 2 Tablespoons mayo. 1/4 cup of pecans

M7- 3 cubic inches of flank steak, 1 bran slice

M8 - 6 cubic inches of flank steak, 1 bran slice, 1/4 cup of pecans

M9 through M12 - 9 oz. tuna, 2 Tablespoons mayo

M10 - 5g fish oil

Cals: 2286 Fat: 119 Protein: 248 Carbs: 45

Overall Comments.

So I'm gonna try adding some fruit to my postworkout meal. It's healthy and maybe it could lower the GI/Insulin resposnse. I mean obviously I'm gonna get one considering I'm using whey and carbs, but I don't want it to be too big.

Weight.

160 lbs. Ouch. 5 pound drop in one day even after being pretty carb depleted.

Sleep.

8 hours. Finally some real sleep.

Supplements.

Multi-vitamin, fish oils, T2 Pro, MD6, Calcium, Fiber, fiber, and mmmm more fiber.

Training.

3 circuits of:
    Pull-Down - 12 X 10 reps
    Squats - 135 X 10 reps
    Push Ups - 10 reps
    Deadlifts - 135 X 10 reps

1 Set:
    Hanging Leg Raises - 10
    Incline Leg Raise - 10lbs X 10

1 Set:
    name? - lie on stomach on 45% incline bench and raise dumbell to front.

1 Set:
    EZ-bar reverse curls - 10 reps

Training Comments.

Traps are coming in nicely from my attempts to correct scapular winging. This should also help once I start trying to put more mass on my arms. Training today was good. Lots of heavy breathing. My body has deconditioned a little from not doing BFT for so long so these circuits are finally starting to work.
    Last edited by aeckhardt; 01-18-2002 at 09:41 AM.

Looks good bro keep it up. Looks really similar to my journal haha.

I feel like you and I are always doing the same ****. Titan training, consistently cutting and never bulking- like idiots.

Have you tried BFT yet?
    Last edited by aeckhardt; 01-17-2002 at 02:00 PM.

Cardio.
    5 min. HIIT post training.

Diet.

M1- 4 eggs, 1 bran slice

M2 - 2 oz. tuna, some mayo

M3(postworkout) - 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1/2 apple, 20 g whey protein, 15g fiber, 1 cup green tea.

M4- 6 cubic inches flank steak, 1 cup green tea,1 bran slice

M5 through M7 - 9 oz. tuna, 2 tablespoons mayo

M8 - 12 cubic inches chicken, 1/4 cup pecans

M9 - 8 cubic inches chicken, 5g fish oil, 15g fiber

Cals: 2268 Fat: 104 Protein: 271 Carbs: 47

Overall Comments.

Looking leaner. Will start to up carbs next week to a basic isocaloric diet and jump into a higher volume routine.

Weight.

162 lbs. I think I've gained some muscle and lost fat this week on Meltdown because I look leaner, but am the same weight.

Sleep.

8 hours. Mmmmmm.

Supplements.

Training.

3 circuits of:
    Push Press - 10 X 10 reps
    Lunges - 25 X 10 reps
    Dips - BW X10 reps
    BB Row - 35 X 10 reps

Training Comments.

Good workout. Really sweated from the HIIT. I've decided to start recording my weight the way I do in my training book. The weight I write down is the weight used for one side. Be that the plates on a barbell or just a single dumbell. I find it much quicker to do it this way since I don't really care how much I put up anyway.

Mayhem, Debauchery, and Caligula(if requested).

This will be the new section of my journal where all things not having to do with training, or much less anything or a normal nature will come to light.

Such as the fact that my brother bought me the book "Everyone Poops." And i love it, and i believe that it should be included in every college curriculum.
    Last edited by aeckhardt; 01-18-2002 at 09:38 PM.

Cardio.

Diet.

M1- 6 eggs, 1 bran slice

M2 - 10 cubic inches chicken w/ mushrrom and tomato

M3 - 7 cubic inches of chicken, 15g fiber, 1/4 cup pecans

M4 - 6 tuna rolls(sushi), 8 cubic inches chicken, 1 salad

M5 - 1 tablespoon peanut butter, 5g fish oil

Cals: 1776 Fat: 90 Protein: 56 Carbs: 176

Overall Comments.

Looking ab fab biatch. Will start to up carbs next week to a basic isocaloric diet and jump into a higher volume routine.

Weight.

164 lbs. I look trimmer this morning even though my weight has increased. I think all the late night protein yesterday filled up my muscle glycogen a little.

Sleep.

11 hours. Holy mother.

Supplements.

Training.

Training Comments.

"yes, rarely known, but truth be told, telletubbies have been around for thousands of years living in the Andes mountains, it wasn't until recently when a PR man's plane crashed into the mountain and he happened to be rescued by these amazing creatures that their untold bounty could be as thoroughly exploited and their then useless bodies could be thrown to the streets to make a living eating rats and turning tricks even though they don't have any sexual organs)" ~ACE~
    Last edited by aeckhardt; 01-20-2002 at 08:41 AM.

Cardio.

Diet.

M1- 1/2 cup oatmeal, 7 egg white, 1 yolk

M2 - 1/2 cup oatmeal, 20g whey protein, 15g fiber, 1 banana

M3 - bowl of basic four with milk, 6 egg white, 1 yolk, 1 bran slice

M4 - 1 tablespoon peanut butter

M5 - 8 cubic inches flank steak, salad, asparagus(sp?)

M6 - 3 cubic inches flank steak, 5g fish oil

M7 - 3 cubic inches flank steak

Cals: 1758 Fat: 56 Protein: 169 Carbs: 139

Overall Comments.

Looking leaner, but my size looks smaller. Especially chest area. The carbs felt wonderfull even though it was mostly oatmeal. Too bad it made me crash in the afternoon which required nap time. Mmmmm, naps.

Weight.

166 lbs. I look trimmer this morning even though my weight has increased. I think all the sushi filled some glycogen yesterday.
    Sleep.

7 hours. Not too shaby.

Supplements.

Multi-vitamin, fish oils, Calcium, Fiber, fiber, and mmmm more fiber.

Training.

Training Comments.

My friend who lifts said he was happy that he had gotten rid of all urges to eat crap like snack bars. I said nice job, I've gotten rid of all urges to eat anything, I only eat what I feel is neccesary. He thought I was a little strange. He was right.
    Last edited by aeckhardt; 01-20-2002 at 09:30 PM.

you ever considered totally separating fat and carbs from meals man? ie eating carbs and adding no extra fat or vice versa.

It won;t rock your world but could be significant over time.

just a suggestion.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Um, yeah, I thought that was what I was doing. Other than the occasional salad with fat, I never really have carbs with fat.

Where do you suggest I change? Give an example. All of the fiber and bran slices are just fiber, no other carbs. I figured that was ok and actually better because the fiber would slow digestion and therefore the insulin response from protein.
    Last edited by aeckhardt; 01-20-2002 at 05:33 PM.

Monday I begin a higher volume training program for a couple of weeks.

Plus, my diet switches to an isocaloric diet. I'm gonna start with 2200 calories and go from there.

Cardio.
    5 min. HIIT postworkout

Diet.

M1- 1 english muffin, 20g whey, 24g sugar from sweet tarts

M2 - (postworkout)- 20g whey, 1 cup oatmeal, 1 apple, 15g fiber

M3 - 1/2 cup oatmeal. 20g whey

M4 - 5 cubic inches flank steak, 1/3 cup almonds

M5 - 3 cubic inches flank steak, 20 flowerets brocolli

M6 - 3 cubic inches flank steak

M7 - 8 cubic inches salmon

M8 - 1 tablespoon pb.

Cals: 2170 Fat: 75 Protein: 192 Carbs: 176

Overall Comments.

Lovin how I look today. Startin to fill in, but obviously a little bloated from the caarbs. I woke up and realized I had no low fat protein in the house other than whey so I started to slap myself around and yell at myself for being an idot and then I cried. I'm trying this carbs before lifting thing to see how it works. I never really manage carbs before lifting well but I thought I might try it out.

It's later in the day and my body is really feelin tired from all the volume and carb control.

Weight.

166 lbs. Same as yesterday, but looking fuller. So who knows what happened.

8 hours. Yes. I think I'm gonna try some GNC sleep formula just for kicks.

Supplements.

Multi-vitamin, fish oils, MD-6, T2-Pro, Calcium, Fiber, fiber, and mmmm more fiber.

Training.

Flat Bench - 70 X 10 reps, 60 X10 reps, 60 X 10 reps
    Incline Bench - 45 X 7 reps, 35 X 10 reps, 35 X 10 reps
    Decline Bench - 55 X 10 reps, 55 X 10 reps, 55 X 10 reps
    Fly- 25 X 9 reps

Lying Tricep Extension to Forehead (EZ-Bar)- 25X3, 15X7, 10X10, 5X10
    Lying Tricep Extension to Chin (EZ-Bar)- 5X10, 10X10, 10X10
    Overhead Extension (EZ-Bar)- 0X10, 2.5X10, 0X10
    Reverse Grip Pushdown - 4X5, 2X5, 2X5, 2X5

Training Comments.

My weights are a little off because I don't have my log in front of me, but its close enough for now. Training today was great. I love high volume and haven't done it in so long. The carbs really kept me moving and helped with recovery between sets. I think I need to take in even more high GI before working out though.

I feel like there is nothing to eat in my house other than fat and protein. Damn that low carb methodology. Plus, I don't know what the hell to eat other than oatmeal, and possibly some rice.

Oh yeah,my father picked up the protein tub today- it's just whey, nothing else. And just looks at it confused,
    Father: "What is this, whey?"
    Me: " Uh, yeah, its just protein."
    Father: " You know I had a friend..wah wah wah wah wah wah." Me: "Uh huh, sure thing dad."
    Last edited by aeckhardt; 01-22-2002 at 05:58 AM.

Tomorrow I'm back at school so the diet is gonna get a little weird. I'm hoping I might be able to make it work even though it is not as optimal as I would like. I will probably still be eating around 7 meals a day.

It's so great to listen to what people think of how I eat. I have friends who say, " I need to start eating a little better. Maybe I should only hit the dessert cart up a little today. Just a couple cookies and a piece of cake should do it."

Oh, plus, I'm throwin my friend's ass into Beyond Failure Training. He's like 5'10 180lbs + . Is quite a beast. Has never had an organized program. God if I only had genetics like that.

Cardio.
    5 min. HIIT postworkout

Diet.

M1-

Cals: Fat: Protein: Carbs:

Overall Comments.

Damn, I'm looking full and cut today. My chest and tri's are sore for yesterday and I love that feeling.

Weight.

164 lbs. I don't know what the deal is. I ate all those carbs yesterday, filled up my muscles, and then woke up looking full and cut. So either the carbs sparked my thyroid/ body drained some glycogen and water by morning/ or i actually burned some fat yesterday. I guess I'll find out in the coming days.

8 hours. I think I'm gonna try some GNC sleep formula just for kicks.

Supplements.

Multi-vitamin, fish oils, MD-6, T2-Pro, Calcium, Fiber, fiber, and mmmm more fiber.

Training.

Training Comments.

This journal is gonna become weekly because I'm back at school and don't have the time for it.

Cardio.
    None

Diet.

Isocaloric

Cals: ~2500 But now I just realized it has been more like 3000. Which is all the better because that means good shiat for my metabolism foo.

Fat: Protein: Carbs:

Overall Comments.

This week has been interesting. Sorta like a bulk without too much food. I started the isocaloric and GVT2000. I feel good, a little tired, satisfied, but def. fatter than before. I'm thinking I might toy with the idea of cyclical isocaloric type diet. I'm pretty lean and could use some mass, but I just hat putting on fat. Ugh.

Weight.

172 at around 3:00 when I got to the weight room. My friends find this hard to believe because they look bigger than myself, but are only around 180.

Sleep
    8 hours. I got about this much all week.

Supplements.

Training.

GVT2000. Basically 4 day split of 10 setsX 10 reps.

Training Comments.

I really love high volume except that I feel so tired by the end of the day. Maybe I should jack up the cal. OR not.

Last edited by aeckhardt; 01-25-2002 at 09:10 PM.

aww that's a shame dude. I like reading these journals with regular updates.

You're doing great dude. Fly the flag.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Awwww, *tear* Maybe I'll find a way.

I think I mostly am not doing it because I am eating a less perfect diet and so I don't feel like writing it out. But, we'll see.

Yeah seriously that sucks that your going for a weekly journal. Was looking forward to daily edits.. oh well.

Anyway GVT is too high-volume for most.

YEah, GVT is pretty high volume. I remember back in the day though when I was a newbie and my body coudle handle anything and still grow. I was doing like 12 sets per body part twice a week. That is just crazy volume. But, hey I grew.

We'll see though. I might try another week of GVT even though I can tell my body is a little tired already.

Any recomendations for a hypertrophy routine other than Hypertrophy SPecific Training? I don't feel like going through that long of a program since most results are in the last weeks.

Cardio----------------------------------------------

Hmmm, well I will be clubbin tonight. So, yeah, that should be enough catabolism.

Diet-----------------------------------------------------

M1- 1 Tablespoon of peanut butter(then back to bed, haha!)

M2 - 2 eggs, 1/2 cup low fat granola, 4 oz. yogurt, 1/2 cup cottage cheese

M3 - 4 cubic inches chicken, 1 powerbar, 15g fiber

M4 - 1 cup cottage cheese, 1 bagel, 1 tablespoon peanut butter, 1 salad

M5 - 5g fish oil

Cals: 2119 Fat: 78 Protein: 178 Carbs: 178 Fiber(not subtracted from carbs): 14 + 30 from supplements

Overall Comments. ---------------------------------------

Good thing I have been eating so many cals unintentionally because I don't think my body would be able to handle the volume without them.

I really like this isocaloric diet. I feel like it has managed my fat gain well considering my calorie overload. I want to try doing a cutting version for next week, but at the same time I really had good results from that low carb thiing I had going the last couple of weeks. Plus, I wonder if I will loose more muscle since my protein is so much lower?

Weight. -----------------------------------

I'd just like to say that I felt huge when I went to bed last night. I know soreness is not an indicator of growth, but I personally love it because it kinda lets me know my muscles are there.

Sleep -----------------------------------------

11 hours. Holy stick it in your ear, play scrabble all day long, super mundo munchiness. That's what you call sleeping.

Supplements. ------------------------------------------

Training. ---------------------------------------

GVT2000. Basically 4 day split of 10 setsX 10 reps.

Training Comments. --------------------------------------

I tried something new yesterday to supplement my shoulder training. I saw this guy doing them at my old gym who actually knows his ****. It's a lat. raise but you bring the dumbell together behind your back at the bottom of the movement. IT is supposed to create separation in the pec and shoulder muscle. I like it because it felt like there was more separation plus it gave a good pull/ pump to the very outer part of my pecs.

Mayhem, Debauchery, and Caligula(if requested).------------

I successfully convinced my dining facilities to offer oatmeal in the morning -already cooked. And it was really funny because today I was in line and I heard some girl say, " Why are they serving this stuff now?" And she then proceeded to scoop some out and let it slowly drip back into the bin from far away.
    Last edited by aeckhardt; 01-27-2002 at 09:25 AM.

create separation in the pec and shoulder muscle?!

body fat reduction does that dude. And how did you get an outer pec pump?!

Alright you can't take me literally. Obviosuly that separation is due to lowered bodyfat levels.

And I guess I would change outer pec pump to outer pec stimulation.

Think of it this way- When people do standing cable crossovers or whatever they are called it is for pecs. Right now stand up and with one arm do the standard crossover motion, but bring the arm all the way across the body. Feel the muscle wokring with your other hand. NOw try bringing the working arm behind your back instead. See how much more the outer part of the pec is stimulated? Of course the inner part is not stimulated as much though.

Yet, then we must consider that there are no real different parts to the pec and therfore maybe it just feels like it is getting more stimulation.

I just tried this standing thing to find a way to better explain what i had meant and now I feel like I should incorporate standing crossovers into my routine considering the stimulation my pecs are getting from this movements even without any weight.

Thoughts?