Thread: Abs

Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar

Abs

Ok guys i did a search on abs and these are the words i used.

"abs overtraining"
    "overtraining abs"
    "ab workouts"

I didnt find anything relative to what i was looking for....atleast not on the first two pages (there were 250 pages by the way). I was reading a fitness magazine and it suggested the "proper" way to train your abs. It said if you want your abs to get larger you should do the traditional crunches twice a week (3x20). It also said if you want more defined smaller abs OVERTRAIN them. This means i should do crunches four times a week instead of two. This way the your abs will not get larger but instead smaller and more defined. The article said thats what most people are after because they want that sleek v-shape body. Is this true with your abs, and not just abs any body part for that matter?? It makes sense for the most part.....

-jordan

abs is diet the end,doing crunches 4 times a week is just an overload
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Build your abs when you bulk, same as any muscle.

A few short, heavy, weighted sets once or twice a week, just like any other muscle.

Definition will show as you drop fat, just like any other muscle.

Quote Originally Posted by getfit
    abs is diet the end,doing crunches 4 times a week is just an overload
    Let me rephrase what i said.

Lets say i have 9% bodyfat (so you can see my abs)

Will doing the traditional crunches twice a week be better or will overtraining them be better.

Overtraining them would make them more defined and harder, and it seems to make since because the article said they would grow. However, most people dont want them to "grow" because they'd rather have deeper ripped abs then large less defined abs..

as anyone ever done this??

-jordan
    Last edited by Jordanbcool; 02-23-2006 at 06:23 PM.

work your abs like any other muscle group, i personnaly do my abs once maybe twice, maybe not, a week my abs get hit enough with me squatting/chins etc..
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by Jordanbcool
    Let me rephrase what i said.

Lets say i have 9% bodyfat (so you can see my abs)

Will doing the traditional crunches twice a week be better or will overtraining them be better.

Overtraining them would make them more defined and harder,
    No - it will make them smaller. Definition comes from leanness. If they're chunkier, you don't have to be as lean for them to show.

and it seems to make since because the article said they would grow. However, most people dont want them to "grow" because they'd rather have deeper ripped abs then large less defined abs..
    deeper abs means bigger muscles. More defined abs means less fat. That's it.

as anyone ever done this??

-jordan
    Do boatloads of ab work, diet properly - you'll have a flat stomach, and a shallow, barely visible six-pack.

Do short, heavy, weighted ab work, diet properly - you'll have a defined, deep six-pack.

Do boatloads of ab work with a crappy diet, and you'll have a gut.

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    No - it will make them smaller. Definition comes from leanness. If they're chunkier, you don't have to be as lean for them to show.

deeper abs means bigger muscles. More defined abs means less fat. That's it.

Do boatloads of ab work, diet properly - you'll have a flat stomach, and a shallow, barely visible six-pack.

Do short, heavy, weighted ab work, diet properly - you'll have a defined, deep six-pack.

Do boatloads of ab work with a crappy diet, and you'll have a gut.

Thanks for the info!! EXACTLY what i was looking for

Wannabebig New Member serendipity's Avatar

Hmmm...check out Usher's abs.....he clearly knows the secret to ab success

According to some celebrity magazine Usher has the secret to incredible abs. Here's a little blurb I found online.

http://www.kidzworld.com/site/p2509.htm

"Celebrity Workouts - Usher
    This boy is a walking visual for the expression "washboard abs!" Usher is so defined that he looks like he's never even tasted a Big Mac. How does Usher do it? His way, of course. Usher's been workin' on his abs since he was 16, but claims that it's all because of good genes (not jeans... although he does look great in them), hard work and being disciplined - oh yeah, and 1,000 crunches a day. Usher also has a daily routine he calls "forty minutes of funk" which includes stretchin', skippin' and jumping jacks. Then he moves onto push-ups, leg raises and tricep dips. Holy... can you say fitness freak! Usher watches what he eats too by munchin' on foods like chicken, fish, a moderate amount of carbohydrates."

(A) I post this because I simply find it amusing. I don't think the people judging Usher's abs have seen any of the pics on these bodybuilding sites.

(B) What is this article doing on a kid's website?

(C) If his workout and body constitute "fitness freak" then I sure as hell wonder how they'd categorize my workouts!

Quote Originally Posted by serendipity
    According to some celebrity magazine Usher has the secret to incredible abs. Here's a little blurb I found online.

http://www.kidzworld.com/site/p2509.htm

"Celebrity Workouts - Usher
    This boy is a walking visual for the expression "washboard abs!" Usher is so defined that he looks like he's never even tasted a Big Mac. How does Usher do it? His way, of course. Usher's been workin' on his abs since he was 16, but claims that it's all because of good genes (not jeans... although he does look great in them), hard work and being disciplined - oh yeah, and 1,000 crunches a day. Usher also has a daily routine he calls "forty minutes of funk" which includes stretchin', skippin' and jumping jacks. Then he moves onto push-ups, leg raises and tricep dips. Holy... can you say fitness freak! Usher watches what he eats too by munchin' on foods like chicken, fish, a moderate amount of carbohydrates."

(A) I post this because I simply find it amusing. I don't think the people judging Usher's abs have seen any of the pics on these bodybuilding sites.

(B) What is this article doing on a kid's website?

(C) If his workout and body constitute "fitness freak" then I sure as hell wonder how they'd categorize my workouts!

ahahahahahaha great post!!!!!

so true on every single point.....

and yes, why the hell was that one a kids website??? now we all know why our children look like 16 year olds when they are 12!

stupid media garbage.

And look at her, the fatty.
    Poo is also LBM - The Built