The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Social Experiment #1 : The Blind Date

Alright kids, the time has come for our first social experiment. As money mike has suggested, the theme of this exercise is to secure a blind date with a girl from the Internet and take on a particular role for the duration of the date.

Example roles would include :
    1. Pirate Guy
    2. Mouth Breather
    3. Paranoid Pete
    4. Emotional Wreck
    5. Disagree with everything guy (Know-It-All)
    6. Bathroom every 5 minutes guy
    7. Afraid of human contact guy
    8. Forgetful Guy
    9. OCD Guy
    10. Curse Guy
    11. Overzealous Guy
    12. Sexual Innuendo Guy
    13. Corny joke guy
    14. Really annoying laugh guy
    15. Religious or Political Fanatic Guy
    16. Nonstop movie quoter
    17. Incompetent Magician
    18. Sleazy guy (hitting on other girls)

There must be rules in this experiment, so I will begin listing them. I will add new rules as people suggest them and they are approved by the group of participants.

1. The date must be documented in some way. Audio or video are the only two mediums in which all members can share in the fun.
    2. The role you take on must never be broken. No matter what happens, you can't reveal the premise to your date. If she confronts you on it, deny it in the manner that your character would.
    3. The date will not end until the girl ends it. There is no bailing out early.

We need a tally of who is in and more ideas for the experiment. Good luck.

With enough interest, I will register socialexperiments.net and setup a forum and links to the evidence, etc.
    Last edited by galileo; 02-24-2006 at 12:36 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Oh God... "mouth breather"... that's hilarious. I honestly don't know if I could pull that off without laughing hysterically. That's out for me. I couldn't do it. I'd be breathing with my mouth and whathaveyou and then I'd just burst out laughing.

I could pull 3, 4, or 5 without going out of character.

What are we going to post to for a dating site? I think we need to provide links to at least the other participants, or just throw'em in this thread. I guess I'd definitely have to try for a Mass. date, as I couldn't do it right around here.
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

Quote Originally Posted by MM
    Oh God... "mouth breather"... that's hilarious. I honestly don't know if I could pull that off without laughing hysterically. That's out for me. I couldn't do it. I'd be breathing with my mouth and whathaveyou and then I'd just burst out laughing.
    We should probably have a point system and have a prize for the first person to hit a certain number of points, sponsered by the entire group. Mouth breather may be worth 3 points as opposed to emotional wreck being with 1.

What are we going to post to for a dating site? I think we need to provide links to at least the other participants, or just throw'em in this thread. I guess I'd definitely have to try for a Mass. date, as I couldn't do it right around here.
    Most dating sites are pay sites whereas MySpace, Friendster, and similar social networking sites are not. The problem with the latter choices is that people aren't always on there looking for a date and they will be more discriminatory. Match.com would probably be the easiest because every girl on there is definitely looking to meet someone. Your poorness hinders this a little.

Quote Originally Posted by xian
    We should probably have a point system and have a prize for the first person to hit a certain number of points, sponsered by the entire group. Mouth breather may be worth 3 points as opposed to emotional wreck being with 1.
    I sort of agree. On the other hand, I think if we're going to post recordings of these then we could just have participants vote on the best performance. Probably a combination of the two would work best. I think subtlety is key, here. Anyone who really didn't want to do it could end the date quickly by overenhancing their character.

Most dating sites are pay sites whereas MySpace, Friendster, and similar social networking sites are not. The problem with the latter choices is that people aren't always on there looking for a date and they will be more discriminatory. Match.com would probably be the easiest because every girl on there is definitely looking to meet someone. Your poorness hinders this a little.
    Yeah, ****, sorry about that. I mean, I have the $20 or whatever to drop on the site, but I could use that money for a lot of other things. I guess there's not any rush to do this right away; I generally have a lot more money in the summer.

Alright, I'm off to work.
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

... if only I wasn't engaged

You may also want to consider:

- High five guy
    - Short term memory guy
    - OCD guy (obsesive compulsive disorder)
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Genacide
    ... if only I wasn't engaged

You may also want to consider:

- High five guy
    - Short term memory guy
    - OCD guy (obsesive compulsive disorder)
    Added the latter two. The high five one isn't ridiculous enough, I think. Unless you can sell me on it.

I sort of agree. On the other hand, I think if we're going to post recordings of these then we could just have participants vote on the best performance. Probably a combination of the two would work best. I think subtlety is key, here. Anyone who really didn't want to do it could end the date quickly by overenhancing their character.
    True, which would be a benefit on setting up the domain for this. Honestly, with some crappy recording equipment, we could pilot this as a show. Cart before the horse, however.

As far as the overenhanced characters, I don't see how one could be subtle while talking like a Pirate.

Yeah, ****, sorry about that. I mean, I have the $20 or whatever to drop on the site, but I could use that money for a lot of other things. I guess there's not any rush to do this right away; I generally have a lot more money in the summer.

Alright, I'm off to work.
    I think there should be a few months prep work involved before actually getting the dates moving. You almost need to have an accomplice in order to get something worth watching.

I was #6 on my last blind date a few weeks ago. I'd just aborted my bulk and was in the process of shedding four pounds of water weight, it turned out. She was a great sport about it, joking that I had a bladder the size of a pea, and that pissing was like eating pringles 'once you pop, you can't stop' ... great sense of humor.

But I didn't get a call back, despite her insistance of no dealbreakers and a hell of a goodnight kiss.

Anyways, I'm on three or four of these dating sites ("Soy un perdedor...
    I’m a loser baby..") and setting up meets all the time. It would be fun to deliberately blow one with one of these roles. Anyone know of a cheap audio recorder that can be hooked to a pc?
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

High Five Guy:

Every person that is talked to during the date gets a high five.

Waiter: "Very good selection sir"
    You: "Yea it is!" High Five

Movie ticket person: "Here are your tickets"
    You: "This is gonna rock!" High Five

Taxi driver: (Bus driver for MM) "This is your stop"
    You: "Great driving man" High Five

and if every "left hanging" state "denied" and walk away.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ShockBoxer
    I was #6 on my last blind date a few weeks ago. I'd just aborted my bulk and was in the process of shedding four pounds of water weight, it turned out. She was a great sport about it, joking that I had a bladder the size of a pea, and that pissing was like eating pringles 'once you pop, you can't stop' ... great sense of humor.

But I didn't get a call back, despite her insistance of no dealbreakers and a hell of a goodnight kiss.

Anyways, I'm on three or four of these dating sites ("Soy un perdedor...
    Iím a loser baby..") and setting up meets all the time. It would be fun to deliberately blow one with one of these roles. Anyone know of a cheap audio recorder that can be hooked to a pc?
    I think any recorder that has a output jack (for headphones) would be able to hook into a pc with a mic jack. Then use windows recorder program to record it and convert it to a MP3 to get the size down.

#Swear's/Curse a lot guy. (Not Tourettes but a bit more PC, not wanting to offend).

#Over enthusiastic/ Overzealous guy. (- Girl - "Fancy soup as a starter? Guy - SURE, HELL YEAH, that'd be GREAT, fantastic. I just LOVE soup.)
    Last edited by J450n; 02-25-2006 at 02:34 AM.
    I'm not moaning, i'm having an opinion.

Suddenly exposes himself guy
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

This sounds like fun, but why limit it to an internet date?

If you can pick up a chick at a bar with a pirate accent, more power to you.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

How 'bout "Cornball Guy". You know, tell REALLY cheesy jokes. Call people "Sport". Have all kinds of lame sight gags, i.e. show up to your date wearing buckteeth, play the "got your nose" game, the old "quarter in the ear trick", etc. Basically act like Uncle Joey from Full House or something.

I think seeing the reactions from most serious, mature women would be worth it.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez
    Suddenly exposes himself guy
    Gonna have to veto that one.

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    This sounds like fun, but why limit it to an internet date?

If you can pick up a chick at a bar with a pirate accent, more power to you.
    The premise is a blind date, not the pickup. The pickup can be a different social experiment.

Okay, okay. What if I set up a blind date for a friend, and he goes as "socially awkward, small chinese guy with bad teeth" and I secretly video tape it?

Hmmm. That's mean.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

And awesome.

Really Annoying Laugh Guy.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

This is pretty aw3some, Xian.

I don't think I'm smoth enough to carry this out just yet, which sucks, because I have a myspace girl being VERY persistent and I wouldn't normally go near it. But for this..lol

Sadly, I could play emotional wreck or curse guy in my sleep.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Sadistic Serial Killer Guy

In my experience most women are dying to go out with this type of guy.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Footballer
    This could turn out to be the greatest thread in internet history.
    Calgary Stampeder!
    Formerly a CMU Chippewa!

Bespoke Super Mod
    What guy will you be Xian?

A few for the list:

Typical English Guy

Histrionical Guy

Neurotic Guy (Different form of neurosis, as we already have OCD)

Celebrity infatuated Guy

Can't be bothered Guy

Treat 'em mean, to keep 'em keen Guy
    Last edited by Franco; 02-24-2006 at 09:52 AM.
    "A + B + C = Success if, A = Hard Work, B = Hard Play, C = Keeping your mouth shut" -Albert
    Einstein

I've always gone to the gym with the conviction that I'll be the hardest working mother****er in the joint. Make that your credo, and hope we don't lift at the same place.
    -- Adam Fahy

"Fran is a double-hard bastard"- Clint Brewer 31/12/02

What about a ridiculous foreigner? Someone who talks like that guy from pink panther with an outrageous accent?
    Last edited by Shark; 02-24-2006 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco
    Typical English Guy
    That'd be the best guy to be, would only have to speak a few words and they'd be hooked.. what with the accent...

Not being stereotypical at all...
    I'm not moaning, i'm having an opinion.