Thread: Regional PL meet

Regional PL meet

i posted about a month ago before i had a district meet now im going to regionals saturday and just was gonna let everone know, and i got a suit today in the mail and its a inzer champion suit size 26. There chart says i where a 28 but they didnt have a 27 and thought well ill go down one size cause the 28 never was THAT tight. Well tryed getting it on and didnt work out so well i cant get it on by myself thats for sure. I cant get the straps anywhere near up to my shoulders any ideas, and whats good to drink the day before a meet? I dont need to weight in btw so weight is already taken care of. Thanks everone wish me luck ill need it. It will be my first time in the 155lbs class.

Good luck man, unless your trying to make weight eat and drink whatever you want. At the last meet I was at Drew and I ate steaks and drank beer and we both did awesome at the meet, maybe that'd work for you.

Yeah man, steaks and beer (and nachos and I think I had some buffalo wings too). Just eat plenty. And make sure to bring food and gatorade the day of the meet. You'll want to eat a lot all day.

If you have a loose 28 Champion that you've worked in, I would use that. You haven't done any work in the new suit and you may have a hard time getting down with it in the meet.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

I hope you have someone that can help you put on and take off the straps inbetween attempts. I personally think you should use the new suit anyway - the Champion isn't an extreme suit. A tight suit will be a new and totally different experience though. Be smart and not overzealous about your attempts, but a meet is generally a pretty safe place to lift.

Usually people are willing to help you put on equipment - you'll just have to ask. As they tug the suit straps upward, you will be dipping your body lower to try and finagle your arm and shoulder in the straps. Make sure you get all the kinks and twists out of the straps - the Champion's straps are NOT particularly forgiving. Have your handler stand behind you and gently work the straps backwards as you arch - this should help your breathing and help you maintain the arch during your squat.

One of the biggest problems people new to tight squat suits have is maintaining their arch throughout the squat. Maintain that arch and sit back, back, back - you'll feel like your head is going to explode, but that's because the suit is building up tension and assisting your lift.

Good luck and let us know how the meet goes.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the advice on the straps and arch and everthing wouldnt had thought of that stuff but right now i figure i need to strecth the suit out some break it in some befor saturday (tomorrow the meet) but i dont have anyone around to help me so any advice on trying to get the straps strecthed some by myself?
    Last edited by JAROD; 02-24-2006 at 06:14 PM.

well i got 14th in 155lbs class
    squats 1st (opener) 215 2nd 230 3rd 250 had more in me i think
    bench 1st (opener) 155 2nd 165 (got under the bar quick and had bad grip and didnt have controlle 3rd 165 agian got set and did it easy
    deadlift (opener) 225 2nd 255 3rd 270

total 685

im happy with it could had done better but still very happy with it all next is state thanks guys for all the advice.

Nice work Jarod.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Good job man

good job man...

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

Props for competing and giving it 100%.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Good job man, I just finished the regional qualifier meet yesturday and got 131deadlift killed me.Your gonna have some tough competition, ive met a guy ranked 3rd in regional in texas for the 155 weightclass and his totalwas 1430

Iron4Life
    I don't know how old your friend is.. but with that 1430 number your friend would be close to American Records for 165 - under the age of 23 or over the age of 40:

20-23 Non Tested 510 J. Benezra 515 B. Osgood 630 B. Howard 1435 J. Cantwell
    20-23 Drug Tested 510 J. Benezra 415 Z. Paige 630 B. Howard 1435 J. Cantwell

40-44 Non Tested 575 P. Sacco 440 M. Dunmire 515 J. Brewer 1480 P. Sacco
    40-44 Drug Tested 575 P. Sacco 390 A. Bonola/D. Boyington 420 D. Boyington 1480 P. Sacco

Bearwolf you are very misinformed, you follow around all my posts about powerlifting and try to disprove em. This guy went to midway waco and is about 5.5 you dont know what your talking about

Gotta love the 100 lb difference in bench between tested and untested divisions haha.

thanks everone was my best meet ever so far. best feeling haveing everone say good job and congrats and everthing just cause they all knuw i gave it everthing i had. but now its time to move on state PL meet is on 18th i think might be a few days off but its close so now i got to get my mind set on it.
    Last edited by JAROD; 02-26-2006 at 07:55 PM.

STATE BABY!! talked to the coach today and im going to state! he said unless there is some big changes between now and friday that keep me from going im going. been working 2 hard years to get that chance in the 145lbs class at state,and think im getting it now wish me luck iv been shooting up in weight on everthing lately. if i got a medal (wicth i really think i can do) i will most likely be one of a few to have ever got a medal in a state meet for 145lbs class still being in 8th grade lol =) incase you all didnt know. i am in 8th grade im 14 but anyways just thought id tell ya all that as of now im going to state!!
    age-14 weight-145 height-5'9
    bench 190lbs (raw)
    squat 285lbs (raw)
    deadlift 280lbs (raw)

400m dash 67.3secs
    vertical leap 23 inches.

goals
    bench 205lbs (raw)
    squat 315lbs(suit @ wraps)
    deadlift 315lbs (suit)

400m dash 65.secs
    vertical leap 25.