Thread: punching bag

Beach

punching bag

hi all. i recently aquired a stand up punching bag. its great. i work at it for maybe 20 minutes a day INTENSELY. after my 3rd day i can feel it everywhere. chest, quads, calves, bi's, tri's, lats, and in my back real good. im guessing that i am getting a really good workout from this?

i also lift about 2 times a week using squats and bench press and deadlifts mainly.

but my question is this. should i expect to see any gains out of using the punching bag? such as muscle tone, size, or will it just burn fat and calories that i need as i am on a bulk?

thanks

You won't get big doing it.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

You'll get good at punching the bag.

Is it the kind with the clown face on it? I love them.

Seriously though, it's not a bad way to do your cardio.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Wannabebig Member
    boxers are some of the best conditioned aheletes in the world.Include jump rope a must.shadow boxing with 2lb weights is good for your shoulders as well,if your going to do cardio at least if you do boxing you get some skills as well.I lift 4 days a week and do thai boxing 4 days a week.Running on a treadmill is just not enough and the stationary bike is worthless.3x3 minutes jumprope,2 rnd shadowbox,6-12 rounds bagwork,boxdrills,footwork drills,crunches,hillclimbersetc when I train alone,still make gains lifting.

It's awesome conditioning work. I miss it. If I could find a place to put a stand up bag in my apartment I'd...

Wait, an ex finally got her **** moved out of my bedroom yesterday.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Beach
    so if it is cardiovascular will i burn needed calories on my bulk and not really see too many muscular improvements?

Wannabebig Member
    just eat more