Thread: Should I try and compete?

Wannabebig Member

Should I try and compete?

Hey yall I'll start out by sayin that im pushin about 5'11.5ish and only weigh 178lbs on a good day this is the reasoning for my post. Im considered pretty strong for my weight but people also think I weigh close to like 190 somthing when they see me. I feel like im stuck in between powerlifting and bodybuilding.I train like a bodybuilder but feel too small to compete, but also feel maybe to tall for my weight to be succesful at power lifting. I feel confident I can push 315 on bench as 305 was fairly easy last week my deadlift needs work but i havnt 1rm in about a year squat numbers are on my signature. Just wanted you guys opinion.Are these numbers ok or what? Thanks for any advice.
    Age-21
    Bench-315(1) 275(5)
    Squat-345(5) (1)?
    Deadlift-315(10) (1)?
    6'0 175-180
    10%bf
    Natural

When I first competed (weightlifting, not powerlifting), I totalled a whopping 115kg. I was beaten by 110lb girls. You learn a lot from competing, and it's fun as hell so go for it. Who cares how you place compared to others, at least at first.
    Last edited by khari; 02-24-2006 at 09:49 PM.

Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    I had the opportunity to work out with one of the best power lifters in the country for his weight class last Wednesday. Great guy and very strong. He has only been doing the main three lifts for about 3 years now and is IPF tested, or what not. Anyway, he is in the 75Kg class and is Bench Pressing 420, Squatting 608(?) and Dead Lifting 570ish. I trained with him and it was great to hear his wisdom and encouragement for even myself to start training that way.

He laughed though when he would ask if I wanted a belt or a knee wraps, he offered to let me use them anytime. Then he asked if I wanted chalk etc... He was pretty funny and said "You sure like to make it hard on yourself, and RAW to you is RAW!"

Ok, well, my point? Lifting is a blast and I think you should compete.

Arch - Whats his name?

liv2lift - Competitions are really fun, so why not.

Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    No idea on his last name, but his first name is Tom and he resides in Canada, but flies to the US every week for his job. Strong canadian accent.

Short answer: YES!

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the support guys. Theres a bench press competition coming up in may. What is a good placeable bench I should shoot for in the 175lb weight group?
    Age-21
    Bench-315(1) 275(5)
    Squat-345(5) (1)?
    Deadlift-315(10) (1)?
    6'0 175-180
    10%bf
    Natural

Shoot for whatever you can bench!

I would say, open with a light weight (if your max is 305, open with something like 250 or a weight you know you can get easily). Your second lift can be anything you like. You should try to get a new max on your 3rd. Just remember, you can't go down in weight after your second attempt, so pick something you are pretty confident you can get.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

If you feel that you're stuck, do pling for a few months then bbing and compete in both. You should have a blast.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

damn man. 6' tall and only 178lbs and you are benching 315... thats pretty good!
    Rock Quotes:
    -Girls like big strong men, all the other men has to find a niche or a thing they supposedly love, you know...like saving whales or reading books, to get laid.
    -Look..first I am scared little freezing virgin munk, but then I bare my self and I am nothing like a freezing virgin!
    -Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke, he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    And I'll clench my buttcheeks as hard as I can to keep free of intruders.

journal

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by biggimp
    damn man. 6' tall and only 178lbs and you are benching 315... thats pretty good!
    Yea I dont look like 178 its weird. I apperciate it, I've always been pretty strong especialy at bench thats why im considering competing gotta switch up my training though, I know 315 isnt gonna cut it. But I've decided to do the bench press comp. in may in mobile AL. I'll keep everyone posted with my progress.
    Age-21
    Bench-315(1) 275(5)
    Squat-345(5) (1)?
    Deadlift-315(10) (1)?
    6'0 175-180
    10%bf
    Natural

Wannabebig Member
    Ok the competion is may 13. I hit 275 for three and 315(1) tonight though im still not that confident with it. Any suggestions on set/rep to prepare for the competion? I wanna push some serious weight! This is a Raw contest so no shirts, (although i've never used one anyway), no straps, no drugs just touch and go. I never do decline should I? Any advice would be greatly Appreciated.
    Age-21
    Bench-315(1) 275(5)
    Squat-345(5) (1)?
    Deadlift-315(10) (1)?
    6'0 175-180
    10%bf
    Natural