Thread: Critique my 4 week workout plan!

Hybrid View

Critique my 4 week workout plan!

hey, over at G-R we use a program called "BFS" (bigger faster stronger). and ive been hearing this plan completely blows. i want to know if its the truth or not. remember, were all aiming for strength and weight gains, not getting ripped.
    heres week 1: 3x3 of each lift:bench, towel bench, deadlift, squat, front squat, powerclean
    week 2: 5x5 of each lift
    week 3: 5x4x3x2x1 of each lift
    week 4: 10x8x6 for bench, towel bench, squat and front squat, 4x4x2 for deadlift, powerclean

each week these weights slightly increase, this program lasts for 4 months, on the last 3x3 we should be doing 3x our max when we started according to the plan.

i have increased 50 lb in squat, 20 lb in bench, and 10 lb in powerclean from the beginning of the plan, but is this the best i can do? or can i get more using a different plan?

please tell me if this is a good plan for weight gains and for strength, thank you.
    Last edited by jed; 02-25-2006 at 03:22 AM.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Wannabebig Member
    Just aslong as you do the big compound exercises and you eat (which BFS does), you will get stronger.

IMO there are no perfect routines. You have to do some trial and error. Lift heavy, rest plenty, eat more. I tend to do better on periodization work that helps you not to overtrain. Which seems be what your doing. Check K starke's journal or Sensei for a few ideas. Maybe your working for football which would be different also.
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

Quote Originally Posted by jed
    hey, over at G-R we use a program called "BFS" (bigger faster stronger). and ive been hearing this plan completely blows. i want to know if its the truth or not. remember, were all aiming for strength and weight gains, not getting ripped.
    It's fine, but it's a cookie-cutter program. The problem with an approach like that is that there is a tendency to overlook individual strengths/weaknesses and not tailor things accordingly. BFS has some issues unique to its program that I personally don't like, but it's not bad.
    heres week 1: 3x3 of each lift:bench, towel bench, deadlift, squat, front squat, powerclean
    week 2: 5x5 of each lift
    week 3: 5x4x3x2x1 of each lift
    week 4: 10x8x6 for bench, towel bench, squat and front squat, 4x4x2 for deadlift, powerclean

each week these weights slightly increase, this program lasts for 4 months, on the last 3x3 we should be doing 3x our max when we started according to the plan.
    I'm just assuming you are mis-typing some weeks. BFS usually follows the following weekly rep-scheme: 3x3reps, 3x5reps, 5-3-1, 10-8-6, repeat.
    i have increased 50 lb in squat, 20 lb in bench, and 10 lb in powerclean from the beginning of the plan, but is this the best i can do? or can i get more using a different plan?
    please tell me if this is a good plan for weight gains and for strength, thank you.
    How long have you been consistently doing the BFS program?

Here's the skinny on "routines" - there is no magic routine that will carry you to greatness. You need to train hard and intelligently, you need to eat right and rest, and you need to be consistent. Choose a routine, plan, template, coach and follow it. Take notes and make changes as needed. Here is what Fred Hatfield (aka Dr. Squat) said about routines - take it to heart:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Squat
    Look, "routines" are just that! I have written much on the subject. I have probably given the subject more careful thought than most. Here is yet another thought that I should've written at some time...maybe I did...can't remember...

In order to achieve ANYTHING in life to the pinnacle of your capabilities, you must "marry" that thing! Become as a "priest" to it. Live, eat, sleep and breathe it! You MUST NOT succumb to whoredom, and meander from one routine to another in the false hope that one of them is gonna "work." It will not! You may get a quick fix from it, but it'll only be because you re-injected some adaptive stress into your routine.
    Do this instead. THINK IT OUT!
    Now, most lifters cannot do this because they are not educated in the discipline, and because they have never been taught to REALLY think things through! So, the alternative is to find yourself a bonafide guru who HAS, and hang your hat on what that person has to say! So, find one! ONE!
    Last edited by Sensei; 02-25-2006 at 11:35 AM.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

thanks you guys. yes i am working for football and weight gains. no, sensei, the 5-3-1 and 3x5 is only if your currently in a sport, and i'm not currently in a sport for the offseason.
    and ive been doing BFS since maybe the beginning of august 2004.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Quote Originally Posted by jed
    thanks you guys. yes i am working for football and weight gains. no, sensei, the 5-3-1 and 3x5 is only if your currently in a sport, and i'm not currently in a sport for the offseason.
    and ive been doing BFS since maybe the beginning of august 2004.
    So, in a year and a half, you've gained 50 lb in squat, 20 lb in bench, and 10 lb in powerclean? If so, that's exceptionally bad and I wouldn't blame BFS for it.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

no, not over the year and a half. over about 3 months. Ive been using BFS program for 1 1/2 years, and we re-max and get new programs every 3-4 months. what i was saying is ive reached the end of my program almost, and ive gained that much in 3 months. (from the end of football (late november) until now (late february))
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW