The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

View Poll Results: What is the best training tool?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gloves

2 4.55%
  • Straps

2 4.55%
  • Belt

5 11.36%
  • Dip belt

6 13.64%
  • Stopwatch

5 11.36%
  • Notebook

19 43.18%
  • Mirror

12 27.27%
  • Extra medium t-shirt

3 6.82%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

what do you think is the best training tool?

I think that the stopwatch is probably the best tool, followed in a very close second is the notebook.
    The difference between the freaks and the flock is the ****ing fork!
    You wanna gain weight? Then it's time to squat!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Australia - Where the women really go down under!
    the best training tool...the brain!
    "People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily."

Quote Originally Posted by Fenrir
    the best training tool...the brain!
    Agreed!

lol oops i didn't even see the poll! I will have to vote now...although i stand by the Brain!
    "People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily."

The mirror for me. I enjoy walking past mirrors and windows with a mild reflection, not of vainity - its just a subtle reminder of why I'm destroying myself

Out of all those u gave us to select from, I chose the mirror as u use it to perfect your technique, which is crucial when lifting!

Quote Originally Posted by kingkrs
    I think that the stopwatch is probably the best tool, followed in a very close second is the notebook.
    I chose these because I can do without the mirror. However I do think that a mirror is very useful.

The clock is very good because it keeps you honest when it comes to rest inbetween sets.

The notebook is good because I can't possibly remember all the weights and rest times etc from work out to work out. Plus it is motivation to see where I have been, and all the progress I have made.

Count in your mind, and after a while if you keep the same routine (change routines every so often) you will remember it all anyway...

If it had been on there i would've said a training partner second! They can account for your notebook, mirror, spotter and clock.

Pretty handy people!

A mirror is fine if you are working your bis, but I stay as far away from them as possible when I am squatting or deadlifting.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

why don't u like your form or something Sensei?

I like my form generally. I use a video camera to watch my technique. I firmly believe that a mirror will screw up your form in the squat and deadlift (and probably most other things). Do you ever see coaches telling sprinters or weightlifters or anyone (well, ok - dancers, I suppose) to look in a mirror to correct their form?
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

No but i don't necessarily see anyone else get trained, my coach gets me if my form slips...I guess it comes down to personal opinion

What is an extra medium tshirt?
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Yeah you have to be careful with the mirror. Unless you're at a certain angle where you can see the whole movement then it can be deceiving.
    Anyway I voted for the notebook, mirror, and dip belt.
    Notebook lets me know how much weight I should be doing and lets me look at my progress.
    The mirror makes me feel like I have more control over the weight I'm lifting (because I can see it in the mirror so I know exactly where it is).
    The dip belt just kicks ass because dips and pull-ups are sweet and it lets you still do them when you need more than just body weight.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Mirrors can be decieving when you want your body to look a certain way... I think pictures are more effective for noting progress.

Dip belts are still more useful, I mean weighted dips and pullups... what more do you need for great upper body development?
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

Skinny Fatass
    you forgot www.wannabebigforums.com as one of your options. That would have been my vote.

The wealth of information, motivation, and journal space that can be found here are absolutely invaluable to me.

i like dip belts, heavy weights, clean diet, those are my training tools...
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Mirror. If I can't monitor my form all the other tools are next to useless.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Stopwatch and notebook are assets that I use almost every day. The dip belt was the only lifting tool on that list that has any value.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Notebook, hands down.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

This site.
    Nick V

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Best traning tool: Mp3 player

2nd best, hot girls at the gym. Motivation.
    Nick V

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez
    What is an extra medium tshirt?
    It was a joke You know that there is that one guy at the gym who always wears the shirt that is too small. haha maybe it is one of us!