Thread: Football training help...

One Bad-A$$ MoFo!

Football training help...

Hey guys I am starting to train for football now, and I was wondering if I am forgetting any exercises that you think should be incoorperated for power?
    Bench Press
    Squat
    Deadlift
    Militarty Press
    Dips
    Pullups

Any thing else I should incoorerate into my routine?

MACHINE
    How old are you or what level of football are you training for? Those look like some pretty good basic exercises to start with, but there are some more that could be added to the list.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

One Bad-A$$ MoFo!
    Im 15 right now, this year Ill be on junior varsity.

MACHINE
    Originally posted by Jim101
    Im 15 right now, this year Ill be on junior varsity.
    I assume you'd like to gain a few pounds since most guys your age do, right? What training facilities/fields do you have access to? Do you have a track, grass field, hill to run on? Gym membership or weights at home? What position are you playing? I could put together a nice off-season training schedule for you that will make you better prepared for the season than any of your teammates.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

One Bad-A$$ MoFo!
    That would be great gino. I have a membership to the YMCA which has just about everything (its one of the better gyms ive seen so far) I live very close to the highschool (3 miles) which has a track around the field. As far as positions go, I play Middle Linebacker, and I havnt decided what to go for on offense, prob either receiver or running back because I am pretty quick.

One Bad-A$$ MoFo!
    Also I am trying to gain weight, I take weight gainer but I just cant get the weight that I had, I am about 6'1 190 right now. I also have plyometric shoes if that would help anything?

One Bad-A$$ MoFo!
    ~bump

MACHINE
    I'll post it this afternoon bro.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

MACHINE
    It's a combination of weight training and sprinting/agility training.

MONDAY:

get your butt up early in the morning and eat a good meal. Then...
    -am - 40 yd dash x 10 on grass preferably (30 seconds rest between sprints to simulate play clock)
    always get at least 8 hours rest(non-activity) and 3 meals between am & pm workout
    -pm - weights(push exercises)
    Flat bench(db or bb) - 2 warmup, 3 sets to failure
    Incline bench(db or bb) - 3 sets to failure
    Military press(standing) - 1 warmup, 3 sets to failure
    Upright row(wide grip) - 2 sets to failure
    Triceps - pick your favorite exercise and do 3 sets to failure

TUESDAY:
    -pm - "S run" / high knees x 10
    Using two parallel lines about 5 yds apart, run 40-50 yds, going back and forth from one line to the other without slowing down, running an "S" pattern. If you have access to a football field, this will be easiest because you can use the lines on the field(5 yds apart, running the width of the field). Running the s pattern will help you get better at cutting off your inside foot and changing direction without slowing down. You don't want to stop at each line and change direction by cutting off your outside foot, but rather keep your legs pumping as if you were running straight, but run a smooth s pattern.(not Z) When you get to the end of your S run, change directions and run back to the starting position in a straight line, staying on the balls of your feet and pumping your knees as high as possible. Rest 60 seconds and repeat.

WEDNESDAY:
    -pm - weights(pull exercises)
    Deadlift - warm up to your best set of 10-12. Stay with that weight and do 2-3 sets
    Pullups - 3 sets to failure
    Bent over rows(dumbell, barbell, or T-bar) 3 sets to failure
    Biceps - pick whatever exercise you want and do 3 sets to failure

THURSDAY:
    OFF - stretch as much as possible, at least twice for 20 minutes each session. Full body stretch - start at neck and work your way down to your ankles.

FRIDAY:
    -am- hills - preferably steep and at least 20 yds distance
    Get into your position football stance and sprint up a hill, run back down the hill, concentrating on taking long strides. Walk back to start, turn around and backpedal up the hill, run back. Rest 60 seconds and repeat at least 5 times.

-pm- footwork
    -back pedal 100 yards. every 10 steps, pivot at your waist as if you were going to start running forward - however , keep your eyes looking in the same direction you were when you were backpedaling. Do not run forward for more than a step or two and pivot your waist back to the back pedal position. Now take 10 steps and pivot the other way. Repeat this as many times as you can within the 100 yds. Do this 5 times.
    -KAREOKA - hopefully you know what this is...
    -do this 10 times, 5 each direction, at least 40 yds each time.

SATURDAY:
    pm - weights(legs)
    Squat - Warmup, working up to your best set of 8-10. Do 2-3 sets with that weight.
    Lunges or walking lunges - 2 sets of 20 (alternating, 10 each leg)
    Leg curl/leg extension - 2 supersets 10-12 reps each exercise
    Calf raises - 3 sets to failure, whatever weight

SUNDAY:
    OFF - repeat stretching

Stretch before and after all weight training and running and always warm up properly. Running - when your sprinting, these aren't just fast sprints, they're the boogie man is right behind you trying to slice your ass up sprints. I don't know what your current level of conditioning is, so if you can't do the volume of conditioning, work your way up to it, then build on it. Don't overdo it though - the objective is to be efficient. Get the work done, but do it quickly so your body has time to grow while your resting.

Diet tips - Well, since you're young and want to gain weight, just eat A LOT. Stay away from obvious junk food - chips, candy etc. Other than that, just make sure you eat 6 meals daily and consume plenty of protein. Drink milk, eat chicken, eggs, tuna, steak, drink at least a gallon of water a day. Eat plenty of good carbs - not sugar. These good carbs include wheat bread/bagels, brown rice, and fruit. Eat 60-90 minutes before working out, and directly after - this goes for weights AND running. Good luck, and if you need any more advice, PM me.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

One Bad-A$$ MoFo!
    Hey gino I really appreciate that bro!