Thread: Popping Hip

Hybrid View

Popping Hip

Ok, I notice that when I do certain movements...one in particular is a shin block, basically raising your knee up in the air so that your shin would block an oncoming kick...my hip emits a popping sound. Now I understand that sometimes joint popping is simply gas emmission but I was perusing a website that had popping hip listed under some of it's problem areas for martial arts types. Basically much of what is said (I'll copy and paste below) seems very applicable to me. I used to play tennis quite often and I feel that my hip flexors are quite weak as well. Recently I've added the abductor and adductor or whatever those girlie machines are at the gym that spread your legs out...basically if anyone has experience with this problem and could offer any other training advice that would be cool. Here's this one guy's explanation:

Popping Hip is more typically found with tennis players who may use distance training to increase endurance. You should read the balance of the hip section to understand the complex interrelationship between the lower back, hip, quads, and hamstrings. Typically associated with runners, it can also be a product of tennis, which can evolve into popping hip. This problem is generally the result of the violent and recurring trunk twisting, knee bending, and hip rotation required by the sport. This results in tightness in the muscles of the lower back including the quadratus lumborum, the psoas, the external obliques, the tensor fascae latae, the erectae spinae, the gluts and the iliotibial band . Not only is the area tight and difficult to stretch, but, in many cases, the area requiring adduction and abduction is weak.

Many of these muscles attach around the greater trochanter (the bony prominence of the lateral part of femur). These muscles become extremely tight. The overuse of these unstretched, overused and weak muscles can also give rise to trochanteric bursitis which just aggravates the whole problem. Rest, proper stretching, icing, strengthened these ignored muscles, and massage and/or rolfing can lead you on the way to recovery. It takes years to create this obnoxious, little understood condition, and it takes time to strengthen and lengthen the muscles of the area. Since X-rays do not reveal the condition (and will not show degenerative hip arthritis), most orthopedic surgeons will not recognize the condition.

Lemme know if you have any further thoughts...or if this guy is just full of bs or not.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

I get the same thing, once in a while there will be a big pop then it's just that you hip clicks as you walk. I talk to my chiro about it, she said that your femur slips down and slightly forward out of your hip joint. It really hurts when she tries to put it back in and it's good for a few days. But I know exactly what your talking about. The random pops and clicks and having really sore hip flexors. So any advice that you all have I would also be interested in.

Wannabebig Member
    i had the same thing except it was in my arms. it would only happened when my arm went from a bent position to a straight extended position, click click click every time

i didnt really notice that it went away till now after reading that post i dont think its clicked in few months, just sorta went away gradually

A good hip flexor excercise is doing your abs standing with a cable. Describtion here
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

I would tend to lean towards the author being on the right track.
    I'm really tight in and around my hips and I ocassionally get this popping.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

I'm going to try adding deep lunges as a general warmup exercise. I feel that it really stretches out the hip flexors, and requires them to aid in balance when doing them which should lead to greater strength. I'll let you know if I experience any revolutionary changes.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

OK, this has nothing to do with anything, but am I the only one who first read this thread as "Pooping Help"?

Sorry. Carry on.
    gt

Dad: "Son, if you keep doing that you'll go blind."
    Son: "I'm over here Dad."

Originally posted by gymtime
    OK, this has nothing to do with anything, but am I the only one who first read this thread as "Pooping Help"?

Sorry. Carry on.
    ROTFL! That's not how I initially read it. Maybe your resolution is a bit too high on your computer?

Yeah, could be. Might need to look into a new presription as well.
    gt

Originally posted by gymtime
    Yeah, could be. Might need to look into a new presription as well.
    Y'know they got these new trifocals, the lines don't even show on them. Good stuff.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Originally posted by Belial

Y'know they got these new trifocals, the lines don't even show on them. Good stuff.
    Eh? Can you speak into my good ear sonny?

gt