Thread: builts baby got back routine...

GETTIN' FIT OR BUST!!!

builts baby got back routine...

I have been doing WBB1 for 6 weeks now....its been ok and I feel I have gotten stronger, but I would like to switch it up a bit. I was looking for a 4 day lifting program...and came across Builts Baby Got Back workout. Would this be a good progression from WBB1?

Banned
    My opinion only, but I think Built's routine is a bit more demanding (form, focus, etc) than WWB #1. I wouldn't recommend Built's routine to somebody just starting out....

...so if you're just starting out, I wouldn't go for it.

GETTIN' FIT OR BUST!!!
    well thats kind of the tough part... I lifted weights in the past...then had a layoff. WBB1 has gotten me back into the swing of things, but I am looking for a few changes...

1.) I would like to lift on MON, TUES, THUR, FRID (WEDS. OFF)
    2.) I would like maybe one more set of each exercise (3) and probably 10 reps (as opposed to the 6-8 w/ WBB1)

I would be open to anything if anybody has any suggestions...

Try it - I really like my split. My husband is using it now too, and he's really liking it.

Have you done squats, deads and chins recently? If so, you can do BGB.

GETTIN' FIT OR BUST!!!
    I have been doing the squats, deads and chins called for in WBB1... Chins are assisted, but I am doing them!! Deads are OK...some days they feel like I am doing them right...other days feel horrible!! The one issue I have with Deads (both straight Leg and Romanian) is that I dont seem to feel it in the targeted area...Im sure this is not good, but I have really tried focusing on form...my shins get scraped when doing SLDL's, which I heard was good, but I still really dont feel it in my hams. Anyway, out of curiosity, how much time does it take you to do your routine?

Usually less than an hour to get through the whole thing.

For your SLDLs - switch to RDLs. Ass out, chest out, look UP, drag the weight up and down along your body, knees bent so you can really stick that ass out and maintain a strong arch in your back.

This is basically how I do 'em:

I don't lower the weight quite as far down as the video, and my ass sticks out more when I do 'em. Try that. Really get that arch working in your back. Lean BACK with your ass when you do them - you should feel the movement somewhere between the glute and the belly of the hamstring.

Read this, too: http://www.muscletech.com/TRAINING/H...GS/index.shtml - There's a demo of RDLs that should help you.

For Horizontal Push Pull day, try Rack Pulls instead of off the floor deads - that's what I do, and I find them really helpful (saves my shins too LOL!)

GETTIN' FIT OR BUST!!!
    maybe this is a dumb question, but isnt the video an example of Straight Leg Dead Lifts? If those are Romanian, I have been doing my Romanian WAY wrong. When doing "my" ROmanian Deadlifts I have been starting out straight up then bending my legs while lowering the bar to about mid-shin....then back up. My other issue is that I thought RDL's were more for back...SLDL's for legs. If I were to switch SLDL's to RDL's in my current workout I would be doing them twice...once on back once on legs. SOunds like another reason to switch to your BGB!!

RDLs are primarily a hamstring exercise.

The exrx vid SAYS it's a SLDL, but in fact, RDLs are very similar to how that video demos them. That's why I included the muscletech article - that's Erik Ledin performing the RDLs - read the description of them.

I urge you to consider doing rack pulls for the day 1 (horizontal push pull) workout - you sound like you need to work on your deadlift form, and rack pulls de-emphasize the hamstring involvement that is emphasized in RDLs.

GETTIN' FIT OR BUST!!!
    You are correct on the form thing... I just started doing them 6 weeks ago so there is room for a lot of impovement! I would like to try the rack pulls but I dont think I can do them at my gym.... I will have to double check, but I think the closest thing would be the rack I do squats in. Ok...Im off to read that article. Thanks!!

That's where you do rack pulls - in the power cage. You can do them between two benches if you don't have a power cage at your gym.

Drop me a line in my gym log if you need a hand setting it up.

GETTIN' FIT OR BUST!!!
    Well from watching that video I figured out what I was doing wrong... If you notice at the bottom of the movement the legs bend SLIGHTHLY...this is what I was over-exaggerating. On top of that...I sounds like I shouldnt be doing these on back day!! Oh well...

GETTIN' FIT OR BUST!!!
    the cage at my gym isnt one with the pins... I dont know how to describe it. THe only place for the bar would be the horizontal beems (ones used when maybe doing bb curls), but I think its probably a little too high. I will double check.

Anyone, at any level can do builts split. As long as your form is down for everything, and your body has a nice active recovery time - Your AOK.

You have a squat rack, not a power cage. I understand the problem.

If you set the oly bar down between two benches, it ought to put it at the right height for rack pulls.

GETTIN' FIT OR BUST!!!
    Well I think I am going to start your routine on Monday. Thanks

Cool.

Plan to take two days off after day 4, so you get a break between RDLs and rack pulls/off the floor deads if you're doing those.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Builts routine is wicked. I like to keep it really really simple though, that's the only reason I'm not doing it. I firmly believe everyone who trys it will meet their goals with the proper tools in place.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

GETTIN' FIT OR BUST!!!
    Well even though I am getting really sick of asking questions regarding deadlifts, and I have probably spent 4 hours trying to figure them out....I am going to ask another. I think I may be close to getting these figured out. Anyway, when you say "off the floor" do I actually let it rest on the floor for a second or so? I guess RDL's and "off the floor deads" seem to be the same to me (except obviously RDL's dont go down as far). Unless by "off the floor" you mean the ones in which you bend your legs as you go down. I am planning to have saturday and Sunday to rest after day 4.

Wannabebig Member
    i like 4-day splits and i like her program.
    do it.

GETTIN' FIT OR BUST!!!
    wicked is what I am going for!! WBB1 is only semi-wicked!

Shoulda been a meso... puny_ectomorph's Avatar
    I may be wrong, but I think you have the standard deadlift confused with the RDL.

Standard deadlift:
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...BDeadlift.html

SLDL:
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...gDeadlift.html

RDLs are similar to SLDLs, but not quite the same. See Built's description above.

Let me know if I'm wrong.

-puny-
    Stats:
    height 5'10
    weight 187

Currently dl'ing 255 for 3 reps x 8 sets
    Goals:
    350 lb deadlift by Feb. 2007

"Squats and milk and nevermind if the principle is twenty years old." -Randall J. Strossen

"They don't know much about nutritional science, but they know enough to stick to the three basic food groups: Tex-Mex, Cajun and ranch." -Paul Kelso

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Built
    You have a squat rack, not a power cage. I understand the problem.

If you set the oly bar down between two benches, it ought to put it at the right height for rack pulls.
    Should still be able to do rack pulls with a squat rack. My squat rack comes with adjustable spotter arms - that's what I use for "pin placement".

Lowest height gives me a pull from about mid-shin level.

Quote Originally Posted by sheparay
    Well even though I am getting really sick of asking questions regarding deadlifts, and I have probably spent 4 hours trying to figure them out....I am going to ask another. I think I may be close to getting these figured out. Anyway, when you say "off the floor" do I actually let it rest on the floor for a second or so? I guess RDL's and "off the floor deads" seem to be the same to me (except obviously RDL's dont go down as far). Unless by "off the floor" you mean the ones in which you bend your legs as you go down. I am planning to have saturday and Sunday to rest after day 4.
    I say that before every rep return the weight to the floor and let it rest, then reset your body and lift with perfect form. Alot of guys try to get momentum going and bounce the weight off the floor and perform their reps as quick as possible. These are the same guys that loose their form and end up with a back injury from trying to deadlift/bunny hop with a heavy barbell.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

Shoulda been a meso... puny_ectomorph's Avatar
    :withstupi
    Stats:
    height 5'10
    weight 187

Currently dl'ing 255 for 3 reps x 8 sets
    Goals:
    350 lb deadlift by Feb. 2007

"Squats and milk and nevermind if the principle is twenty years old." -Randall J. Strossen

"They don't know much about nutritional science, but they know enough to stick to the three basic food groups: Tex-Mex, Cajun and ranch." -Paul Kelso

GETTIN' FIT OR BUST!!!
    thanks for all of the pointers... After all of this there is NO WAY I can give up on deads!