The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Progression????

Progression????

What types of standards do you guys set with progression in regards to your lifting? The WBB1 says that you should be trying to progress every single week be it by more weight or more reps... that is a guideline for WBB1 only right???

Progression seems to be a slow thing for me, that or I dont test it nearly enough. How often do you guys test the limit??? Following my 3 set routine of 10 reps, 8 reps and 6 reps I dont try to progress that fast, but thinking to slowly.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

well im on a WS and i max bench and squat(or dead depending on what cycle im on) every week...

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

Banned
    Well naturally I think once you get into the higher weights you would slow down in progression. If we all put in 5 pounds a week I'd be benching in the 1000's. See what I'm sayin?

True that but my numbers arn't that high at all and it seems for some lifts the number just come very slowly... like lat pulldowns for instance. I may have gained 15lbs on lat pulldowns over the last year.

Banned
    If you are doing a pulldown right then weight should come slow. I'd rather get a set of 160 for 10 good soild reps. than 175 for 10 ugly ones.

Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL
    True that but my numbers arn't that high at all and it seems for some lifts the number just come very slowly... like lat pulldowns for instance. I may have gained 15lbs on lat pulldowns over the last year.
    I would say stop doing lat pulldowns and just do chinups lol Thats what I've started to do lately and I've noticed a big difference.

some people can't do chin ups so they do pulldown instead...someone like myself...
    Last edited by Optimum08; 02-27-2006 at 06:31 PM.

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum08
    some people can't do chin ups so they do pulldown instead...someone like myself...
    I used to be like that, i was like I can barely do a pullup so I dont do them. But jsut doing negatives which everyone can do will help a ton, you will start doing them in no time. I used a machine with added weight to help me when I first started. You could always have your workout partner help you get up with them pushing up on your feet.

Even thought lat pulldowns and chin ups look like the same movement, chin ups really work your back more, one of my fav exercises now, even though I can only do like 6-7
    Last edited by gator; 02-27-2006 at 06:38 PM.

In my journal I keep track of how many sets, repetitions, weight, and difficulty (out of 1-10). It's pretty easy to track progress that way. All else equal, if: difficulty goes down, or weight goes up, or repetitions goes up... then I appear to be making progress.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Well some of us are pretty heavy their gator, and I wouldnt mess with the 300lb man would could go chinups... its just to much weight without massive strength.

I agree the pulldowns should be slow but I mean common.. 10lbs in the pulldown department and nearly 100lbs on benchpress.....

I saw some 300+lbs football player do weighted wide grip pull ups for reps the other day. I was impressed to say the least.

The way that I see it is you increase the weight to get stronger, not the other way around. If you're not progressing, you're not pushing yourself hard enough (assuming everything else is in order).
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

For my bench I do a set of 12, 8, 6, 4, 2, and then three sets of 8. I try to raise my last three sets of eight, five pounds each week, and my max or two rep max rather, I try to raise that 10 lbs per week.

Of course I don't think I will continue raising 10 lbs each week for a long time due to road blocks in training.
    Last edited by sharkall2003; 02-27-2006 at 09:02 PM.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

I max out once a month. If I add atleast 5lbs to my compound lifts then I am happy. I always shoot for more though but I will settle for whatever I can get.
    Height: 6'
    Weight: 210

If your dieting to lose weight, then going up on your lifts at all is good. I've never tried to add weight, always been cutting, so I understand why my gains are slow, but they are steady.
    Nick V

Banned
    whenever i hit my goal reps with current weight, add 5lbs for upper, 10lbs with lower, repeat
    Last edited by f=ma; 02-27-2006 at 09:23 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL
    What types of standards do you guys set with progression in regards to your lifting? The WBB1 says that you should be trying to progress every single week be it by more weight or more reps... that is a guideline for WBB1 only right???

Progression seems to be a slow thing for me, that or I dont test it nearly enough. How often do you guys test the limit??? Following my 3 set routine of 10 reps, 8 reps and 6 reps I dont try to progress that fast, but thinking to slowly.
    IMHO you should always have a 'target set'. For you, that might be the 8 rep set or the 6 rep set. But for the purposes of that set, I MUST progress. Period. That is the crux of my training philosophy and really, the whole point of PROGRESSIVE RESISTANCE training. Increments don't have to be big, but they do have to come in there for most of us. Eventually you will start to hit your max potential but that is a long way off for 95% of trainees.

Google for 'Doggcrapp training' for some ideas on what to do if you don't progress. His method is about chaning the exercise if you can't progress. For instance if you're doing bench press and you can't progress in the weight or reps for bench press, then you drop benching from your workout and work on some other chest exercise. The motivation to keep a favourite exercise in the routine often gives you that little extra 'push' to get a rep or two more out.

If you find that progression doesnt seem to be working for you. Try a dose of overloading your body.

Say your deadlifting 100kg (220lbs) x 8 reps this week. next week. Ram it up to something you know you will be bleeding if you tried. Say this 100kg deadlift your repping is 77% of your max. Which is 130kg (286lbs). up your intensity by 10kg so your really ripping your body, and doing about 87% of your max. ive found that overload works best for me. But its what works best for you my friend.
    Last edited by Goodwinm; 02-28-2006 at 03:59 PM.
    My Journal

Squat: 150kg (330lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Deadlift: 180kg x 3 (396lbs) Raw - 14.12.13
    Bench: 110kg (242lbs) Raw - 29.01.14
    Barbell Military Press: 85kg (187lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Barbell Push Press: 100kg (220lbs) Raw- 31.01.14

Quote Originally Posted by goodwinner
    Say your deadlifting 100kg (220lbs) x 8 reps this week. next week. Ram it up to something you know you will be bleeding if you tried. Say this 100kg deadlift your repping is 70% of your max. Which is 130kg (286lbs)..
    You have to be careful with the math. 100/130 = 77%
    Last edited by d'Anconia; 02-28-2006 at 03:42 PM.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    You have to be careful with the math. 100/130 = 77%

was never any good at maths lol
    My Journal

Squat: 150kg (330lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Deadlift: 180kg x 3 (396lbs) Raw - 14.12.13