Thread: problems gaining mass

problems gaining mass

hey there, this is my first post. i was just searching around and i found this website. but anyways, heres my question. i seem to be having some trouble gaining mass. ive been working out for about 4 months, and my strength has increased, but my size generally hasnt(biceps, chest, shoulders) i try to get to the gym 3 times a week and this is my workout

chest/triceps
    back/biceps
    legs/shoulders

im 15 and been going to the gym for about 4 months, what can i do to try to build mass?

Make sure you are eating enough. You'd probably be surprised at how much you have to eat while bulking. Also remember to eat good foods. Garbaging up on crap food isn't going to help.
    h: 5'10" w: 169
    340/235/420

Eat more. Simple as that. Keep adding 500 cals a day till you start gaining weight.
    Nick V

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Make that "add 500 cals and stay at that level for a week or two so your body can adjust to the change and if you're still not gaining weight, add 500 more and repeat the cycle". Maybe even make that just a few hundred calories every week or two.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

so basically just eat a **** load more and i should see some bulk over time?

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Add the calories gradually. But essentially, yes. Eat a s***load of food and you will see better gains. Food is the key. Just make sure what you're eating is fairly healthy.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 03-04-2006 at 07:39 PM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

there is always the chance that at the age of fifteen you are not far enough along in puberty to really pack on a lot of mass. But even if that were the case use this this time to dial in your routine, form and diet and eat like a monster.

In the case that you are well on your way through that terrible period of life just eat more. Lots and lots of protein and fill the rest of the calories with whatever.

since i am only in grade 10, i dont have any spares yet, which limits my eating... this is my diet(if you can even call it that)

breakfast: eggs, toast, orange juice

lunch: 2 pb/j sanwhiches, fruit, 2 drinks, goodies (sandwiches vary per day)

afterschool: anything i can find in the fridge or cupboard(not neccesarily healthy)

dinner: whatever my mom makes(pasta, meat, potatoes, carrots, broccolli)

before bed: cereal(cinnamon toast crunch)

now im not gonan list all the sweets that i eat during the day, or the ammount of sugar i induce, but i;ll say that i dont eat very healthy!! but then again, i am still very young so i can eat whatever i want!!! oh and also, i have a REALLY fast metabolism.. i can eat a full dinner, be full at the time, then 30 mins later i will be hungry again...
    Last edited by Detard; 03-06-2006 at 07:01 PM.

Can you pack dry protein shakes in shaker cups to keep in your locker? Just add water, knock one back.

A big bag of peanuts to snack on can also be a great source of portable calories.

oh, my bad, i also drink protein shakes with strawberrys, yogurt, milk, bananas, ice cubes, and whey protein mix

Good.

Drink more of them. Pack a few dry ones in your lunch to take to school.

Would the peanut thing work for you?

yea sure, i could eat peanuts, my dad is obsessed and he always trys to get me to eat them, but they make my mouth so dry lol, i'll get some water though,

also , im really looking to get a nice tight routine going on, ive searched aroudn on the internet, but havent really found anything substantial... im a snowboarder, but also play baseball, football and volleyball in the off seasons. im looking for a good 3 day workout for my whole body, what do you suggest?
    Last edited by Detard; 03-06-2006 at 07:37 PM.

Squats, Squats, Squats, Squats, Squats, Squats, Squats, Squats, and more Squats.

Read the book Super Squats. By Randall J. Strossen, PHD

And of course EAT, EAT, EAT, and EAT some more!
    The difference between the freaks and the flock is the ****ing fork!
    You wanna gain weight? Then it's time to squat!

Quote Originally Posted by detard
    yea sure, i could eat peanuts, my dad is obsessed and he always trys to get me to eat them, but they make my mouth so dry lol, i'll get some water though,

also built, im really looking to get a nice tight routine going on, ive searched aroudn on the internet, but havent really found anything substantial... im a snowboarder, but also play baseball, football and volleyball in the off seasons. im looking for a good 3 day workout for my whole body, what do you suggest?
    Do my four day split (baby got back) but rotate it:

Day 1, Day 2, Day 3

Day 4, Day 1, Day 2

Day 3, Day 4, Day 1

Day 2, Day 3, Day 4

could that work for you?

(Drink a whey shake with your peanuts)

ya im sure it could work, i think im gonna get a personal trainer aswell to help me in the off season because i'll have coaching in the winter and i wanna be in the best shape possible

get lots more milk in you! 2-4 cups atleast!

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    You probably won't need a personal trainer with all the resources you have here on the board.

Good luck!

yes i guess your right about that, thanks for the info guys and gals, i'll be hitting the gym tonight with legs and back because of my arm, so i hope to be feelin good

Easy calories:

Add olive oil to stuff. Take 25ml shots of olive oil twice a day
    Drink milk all the time
    Eat peanuts/almonds all day

Quote Originally Posted by Davidelmo
    Easy calories:

Add olive oil to everything. Take 25ml shots of olive oil every hour on the hour
    Drink milk all the time
    Eat peanuts/almonds all day
    great advice...changes in bold though
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Also, you are only 15 years old. Often, your testosterone levels aren't ideal yet for muscle gaining - sometimes they are sometimes they aren't. Just continue what you are doing and by the time you are a junior/sr in high school you will be big.
    "it's you against you, it's the paradox that drives us all"

6'1", 206, 11.5%
    Bench: 285
    Squat: 275
    DeadLift: 335
    -------------
    Total: 895 and moving up.

Check my progress and read more in My Journal.

Quote Originally Posted by detard
    what can i do to try to build mass?
    Read the stickies.