The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Bummer today...

Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar

Bummer today...

So I decided to go visit my old weightlifting coach at Twin City Barbell's training facility. I talked to him briefly and told him some of my plans both to compete in Olympic Weightlfifting again and possible Power Lifter. He litterally cut me off once he heard the word "Power Lifting" and pretty much told me to go home.

First of all, I always remembered that he has a temper and in intollerant of things, but I had forgotten just how bad he was in that regard.

I guess it is a bummer, because I think he is a great coach, but is really an ******* on the inside. He knows his information, but he is unwilling to give anything in Power Lifting any worth. Basically he calls it "half movements" etc... Does his best to really destroy it.

Oh well, I just thought I would share this with you. I am just sad that some people's mind are so closed that they cut you off if you do not agree 100%

One more thing... He also said "We don't do Bench Press here" with a proud arrogant look on his face and I said "So? Who cares, but many people in Olympic Lifting do Bench Press" He became even more irate and said "I don't care what the hell anyone else does"

Ok, well basically I just left telling him that he may see me in the future whether he likes it or not (in the form of competing).

Bummer... I don't see Power Lifters downtalk Olympic Lifting, but sadly I see it the other way around :-(... Just thought I would share with you all my misfortune.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Shoulda been a meso... puny_ectomorph's Avatar
    Folks like that are all over the place. I remember telling one fairly large and ripped guy I wanted to get into powerlifting. His response was, "So you want to be fat and bald, huh?"

-puny-
    Stats:
    height 5'10
    weight 187

Currently dl'ing 255 for 3 reps x 8 sets
    Goals:
    350 lb deadlift by Feb. 2007

"Squats and milk and nevermind if the principle is twenty years old." -Randall J. Strossen

"They don't know much about nutritional science, but they know enough to stick to the three basic food groups: Tex-Mex, Cajun and ranch." -Paul Kelso

Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by puny_ectomorph
    Folks like that are all over the place. I remember telling one fairly large and ripped guy I wanted to get into powerlifting. His response was, "So you want to be fat and bald, huh?"

-puny-
    Yeah, you are right, it is everywhere... Maybe I was a little hurt because I respected this guy as a coach... Who knows. Yes that was probably it... Because if someone else, someone I didn't know at all said that to me, it would not have bothered me, at least to this extent.

Many coaches don't want to deal with anyone not willing to commit 100% to a sport, and I can't say I blame them. We've had a couple guys come to our club who want to train for bodybuilding or PL on the side, and they all seem to put in a half-assed effort and don't last.

Another problem is training OL involves a ton of pulling already, and training the deadlift at the same time will possibly result in overtraining unless the cleans/snatches/pulls are cut way back, not to mention the deadlift can teach improper pulling technique if you do not have very good techniques in the classic lifts.

That said, you're coach seems a bit extreme about it. My coaches, while not big fans of powerlifting, have no problems with us Benching as long as we have no problems with shoulder flexibility and attaining the proper position for the snatch.

Yeah, PLers do it too, but OLers tend to be worse. My father was an OLer and although he likes the fact that I lift, he doesn't have anything nice to say about PL...
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/