The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Transitioning from cut to bulk and vise versa

What the general feeling here when going from cutting to bulking and from bulking to cuting in terms of adjusting your calories. Here is my logic and I would like to know if my thinking is right. When going from bulking to cutting you can drop you cals right away to what ever you plan to cut on since your metabolism will be pretty fast from your bulk you'll lose some quick lbs at the start of the cut this way.
    Going from a cut to bulk it's best to just increase your cals say 100 every day to give your metabolism a chance to increase, so you dont put on too much fat at the beginning of your bulk.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Sounds fine to me.

I've heard of a few people doing this.

I think ShockBoxer might be the person to ask.. I seem to remember him saying that he ate at maintenance for a while before slowly starting his bulk.

Don't look at me. My metabolism is well and truly freakish. It's true I took December to eat at maintenance but that was just to assess what my new maintenance was. When it came to bulk time I just leapt in fork and knife and pounded back 3000+ cals per day (my maintenance was 2400). Nothing happened after three weeks and I got sick of food which I why I shifted back to cutting... I went from Bulk (3k) to cut (2k) over a 5 day period and have been recomposing since.

Seriously, listen to Built and some other diet gurus. My experiences with the dieting part of bodybuilding defy everything advised on WBB. I don't know how I get results at all.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

I do pretty much what you decribed.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Gator, your plan is how I approach it.
    And there you have it. I might not go up and down on the scale as much as a normal person while bulking and cutting but I fully credit Built's advice on macros as being the reason I gain muscle mass regardless.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Sweet sounds good, looks like I begin increasing my cals this weekend to start my 2nd bulk. 5 weeks of cutting and have lost 8lbs...ready to hit that 200lbs mark soon I think. My bf is the same in the 11-12% mark as when I got into this sport 18 weeks ago, but I'm now 18lbs heavier. Got to love muscle memory.
    Last edited by gator; 03-07-2006 at 02:17 PM.

i have heard mention of spending two weeks at maintenance between the transition of a bulk to cut to help the "stabilization of proteins" (new muscle mass gained on the bulk). But i think this could very well be a classic example of sweating the small stuff.

The only reason i would spend a while tapering down between a bulk and cut is allow my body to get used to eating less and less (from a hunger point of view)

If you transition too quickly from a cut to a bulk, you'll get an "end of famine" effect - you'll partition too much into fat.

If you transition too quickly into a cut, yes, the hunger thing is a real consideration.

Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Built
    If you transition too quickly from a cut to a bulk, you'll get an "end of famine" effect - you'll partition too much into fat.

If you transition too quickly into a cut, yes, the hunger thing is a real consideration.
    Yea, your body will think your starving and burn alot of muscle mass if you do it to quickly (when going from a bulk to a cut). I had this happen to me last cut

thats why i've been posting so many threads about cuts and my workouts so i dont end up like last year....

-jordan
    Last edited by Jordanbcool; 03-07-2006 at 03:10 PM.
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

Quote Originally Posted by Jordanbcool
    Yea, your body will think your starving and burn alot of muscle mass if you do it to quickly (when going from a bulk to a cut). I had this happen to me last cut

thats why i've been posting so many threads about cuts and my workouts so i dont end up like last year....

-jordan
    It's just my opinion but I think people overstate way too much the amount of muscle lost on a cut. My strength sayed basically the same during my 5 week cut, some exercises went up some went down, but all basically the same. So I figure I didn't lose too much muscle.

Quote Originally Posted by gator
    It's just my opinion but I think people overstate way too much the amount of muscle lost on a cut. My strength sayed basically the same during my 5 week cut, some exercises went up some went down, but all basically the same. So I figure I didn't lose too much muscle.
    Just be careful. Its much easier to lose muscle then to gain it.

-jordan
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

Kinda relates, but we all know about muscle memory, if you loose say 2lbs of muscle on a cut you should regain that lost muscle pretty fast on a bulk right?
    Last edited by gator; 03-07-2006 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gator
    Kinda relates, but we all know about muscle memory, if you loose say 2lbs of muscle on a cut you should regain that lost muscle pretty fast on a bulk right?
    Maybe. The body is a weird thing. I bow to actual diet gurus because thats the only thing you can really control. Sure you can lift and what not but take a look at lee priest. His chest is nowhere near as large as his biceps and the rest of his body. Why is that!? His nutrition is up to par or else he wouldnt look the way he does. I guess his body just decided "hey this guy dosent need a large chest" so it sent macros, cals, etc. to the rest of his muscles. He looks pretty goofy if i do say so myself.

Anyways the point im trying to make is your body is predictable to a certain degree. At which point....as i said. Weird things can happen.

-jordan
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    I got desperate for spring break, did a bad thing, cut my calories down to what *should* be a nice number for weight loss (eating about <2k a day, but when I was bulking I was consuming close to 5k) and I've lost ten pounds these past 3 weeks. But apart from not having the same explosive energy when I work out, and constantly being incredibly hungry (I'm used to being hungry all the time, I'm not used to feeling starved). My lifts haven't changed, and my abs are almost back to how they were in the summer. Long story short, I guess it varies from person to person, the only way to find out is to test it on yourself.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Jordanbcool
    built wasn't talking about losing muscle on transitioning to a cut to quickly, it was merely an issue of hunger. If you lost too much last cut you simply went too low on calories it has little to do with how quickly you do it.

I don't think there's been any real proof of benifits beyond psychological in dropping cals slowly on a cut (assuming the caloric level you're dropping to is within reason). The main reason people start lower calories over time on a cut (other than above stated psychological) is simply that the lower your body weight the lower maintenance therefore the greater deficit needed from bulking levels. That and you can monitor the progress better so you know you're not way over shooting things.
    Last edited by eatit; 03-08-2006 at 05:46 PM.