Thread: Substituting dips for bench press

Shoulda been a meso... puny_ectomorph's Avatar

Substituting dips for bench press

Evening all,

Today at the gym I decided I didn't feel like doing barbell benches, since 1) a bunch of dopey high school punks were hogging the benches and 2)I hate the bench press, so I found myself wandering over to the dip bar. Knocked out 4x8 using a good forward lean to hit the chest, triceps and delts, and it literally kicked the wind out of me. Also 'felt' it more in those particular muscle groups.

As such, since my upper body has been lagging lately, I've decided to subsitute dips for barbell benches on my A day (squats, power cleans, curls), and start adding weight using a weighted dip belt. On my B day (deads, BO rows, OH presses, waist work) I'll add in some dumbbell benches for 4x8 for a boost, and just give up standard barbell benches for awhile.

I'm planning on going for 6 months on this, and then give barbell benches a try and see if I've improved. Comments, suggestions?

-puny-
    Stats:
    height 5'10
    weight 187

Currently dl'ing 255 for 3 reps x 8 sets
    Goals:
    350 lb deadlift by Feb. 2007

"Squats and milk and nevermind if the principle is twenty years old." -Randall J. Strossen

"They don't know much about nutritional science, but they know enough to stick to the three basic food groups: Tex-Mex, Cajun and ranch." -Paul Kelso

Make sure to do some heavy tricep work, I think you're going to lose a lot of the triceps involvement by not benching.

Keep close track of how your elbows and shoulders are feeling. Dips can do a number on your joints. If they start hurting, back it off for a couple weeks.

Hell, give it a try. See if it works.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

dips are an great chest exercise! i never thought of doing dips over bench press, but i do always make sure i include them.

ps nothing makes me more pissed off then when a bunch of dopey high school punks hog the benches
    6'6" 235
    Follow me on Twitter!
    My Artist page
    Creatine is Overrated Social Group
    supplements are used to supplement!!
    "why do i train so hard? so i can play harder!"
    -kobe bryant

you hate bench press? thats a first. No way id ever substitute bench for dips personally
    23 yo 6 2", 258lbs

Feb' 06......................................Mar' 06......july 06
    bench 270lb x 1..........................275x3........315x4
    deadlift 260lb x 1........................275x1........418x1
    db shoulder press 88x3................94x3..........100x7
    atf squat - ...............................................308x5

Quote Originally Posted by BaggedE30
    you hate bench press? thats a first. No way id ever substitute bench for dips personally
    I know it's weird, but for some reason I just feel that way. Whereas I can get myself pumped up and ready to go for a set of squats or deadlifts, give it my all and walk away knowing I did, I just can't get the same feel for bench presses. I'll walk into a training session and blast out the squats, which continue to improve every week, and then lose motivation when I look at the bench.

Drew, I'll work in some additional tricep work while I'm at it. Maybe give it 2 or so months and then give the barbell bench another try.

-puny-
    Stats:
    height 5'10
    weight 187

Goals:

"Squats and milk and nevermind if the principle is twenty years old." -Randall J. Strossen

"They don't know much about nutritional science, but they know enough to stick to the three basic food groups: Tex-Mex, Cajun and ranch." -Paul Kelso

I do both.

I hate bench too though because it is feebly weak.

Im 155lbs and can dead 300lbs but only bench ~100lbs

I'm good at dips though (can do around 12 bodyweight dips) and I'm going to start doing weighted dips soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidelmo
    I hate bench too though because it is feebly weak.
    Time to do more bench, then...
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Quote Originally Posted by BG5150
    w3rd

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BG5150
    :withstupi

You have to work on your weaknesses.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

I hate it but I still do it, don't worry! :P

sounds alright to me man, add weight gradually also.
    2000 or bust

Why give up any exercise for such a long time?

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Why give up any exercise for such a long time?
    Yeah. 6 months is a long time! I'd do maybe one or two months and try benching again.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Wannabebig Member
    Man just be careful cause just like Drew said dips can do a number on your joints and im Exibit A. Started doin weighted dip, was real good at um too, then suddenly my shoulder started hurting all the time.Turns out tore some cartalige! Still could lift but not as heavy and sometimes couldnt even do chest at all. So be careful with the extra weight, it's easy to lose form.
    Age-21
    Bench-315(1) 275(5)
    Squat-345(5) (1)?
    Deadlift-315(10) (1)?
    6'0 175-180
    10%bf
    Natural

Quote Originally Posted by puny_ectomorph
    I know it's weird, but for some reason I just feel that way. Whereas I can get myself pumped up and ready to go for a set of squats or deadlifts, give it my all and walk away knowing I did, I just can't get the same feel for bench presses. I'll walk into a training session and blast out the squats, which continue to improve every week, and then lose motivation when I look at the bench.

Drew, I'll work in some additional tricep work while I'm at it. Maybe give it 2 or so months and then give the barbell bench another try.

-puny-

well i think the answer is in your sig.. your bench is weak... its the worst of your lifts in your sig.. everyone likes doing things they feel they are good at.. you have a weak bench.. you feel you have a weak bench.. so when you do bench you get disappointed or depressed.. therefore you have no motivation and further you weak bench.

the weak things are the ones you need to focus on.. dont quit bench simply becasue your not good at it.. no one is born benching 300lbs...
    i can still remember when i was happy to put a 45lb plate on each side and bench that... being strong or good at somethng is jsut time and practice.

and your bench will probably not go up much by not benching

Quote Originally Posted by brian136
    well i think the answer is in your sig.. your bench is weak... its the worst of your lifts in your sig.. everyone likes doing things they feel they are good at.. you have a weak bench.. you feel you have a weak bench.. so when you do bench you get disappointed or depressed.. therefore you have no motivation and further you weak bench.

the weak things are the ones you need to focus on.. dont quit bench simply becasue your not good at it.. no one is born benching 300lbs...
    i can still remember when i was happy to put a 45lb plate on each side and bench that... being strong or good at somethng is jsut time and practice.

and your bench will probably not go up much by not benching
    Yeah, I see the point. Think I'll keep the bench in there and find a spotter so I can go harder and heavier on the weight. Maybe toss in dips from time to time for a change.

-p-
    Stats:
    height 5'10
    weight 187

Goals:

Nothing wrong with substituting dips for bench presses... not for 6 months though! 2 would be about the max I would try. Strength gained from dips should carry over well to bench presses, assuming you're doing incline, overhead, or dumbell presses.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat