The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

Joint Pain with squatting

I have been Squating under resonably heavy weights for some time now (>100 kg), but its only recently that i have been experiencing slight joint pain in my knee and hip when executing this excercise. I was just wondering if any experienced lifters could tell me if this is normal, or should i take a brief rest from squates??

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    Are you fully warmed up before you hit your working sets. I need to do three sets of 20 reps at 135lbs to loosen up sufficiently. This is excessive for most, but my pre-existing condition forces me to go this route.

The consequence is that I might not be as strong as I would be otherwise, but I am FULLY warmed up and loose.

How much do you stretch? How deep are you going? The deeper you go, the less stress on your knees. Stretch lots.

This is what works for me.

Really? Going deeper is actually better for your knees? Wow, I've never actually heard that. I would assume the excact opposite; is this your opinion or is it something thats pretty well excepted in the powerlifting community? I always thought that Oly lifters had pretty bad knee problems because then would go so low on squats. Whats the scientific reason behind this? I'm not trying to be jerk, just eager to learn.
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

Quote Originally Posted by jkirkpatrick
    The deeper you go, the less stress on your knees.
    evidence?

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

but you do need to make sure your sufficiently warmed up, and by warmed up i don't mean a couple reps with the bar, i mean getting a good sweat going either on a bike or jump rope or something to raise the heartrate. And also you might try wearing a pair of sweats when lifting legs/squatting, keeps them nice and warm during your sets.

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

Banned
    Not specifically related to powerlifters - related to all lifters of any sort.

It's not an opinion. I don't remember where to point you but try this:

Squat down (no weights). Now squat down as low as you have been going. You will feel it more in your knees doing it your way than going as low as you can. Sheering forces on the knee are reduced once you get down real low and your hamstrings, groin, and other muscle groups get involved.

Hopefully somebody else who knows where the information is will post. But it's true.

Footballer
    I think I've also seen studies where this is shown. I'll try searching.
    Calgary Stampeder!
    Formerly a CMU Chippewa!

Footballer
    Edit: Double Post.
    Last edited by BigRic; 03-08-2006 at 11:28 PM.
    Calgary Stampeder!
    Formerly a CMU Chippewa!

Banned
    i've gotten tendonitis in my knees from squating, very possible its what you've gotten.

instead of stop squating all together, do box squats instead.

Box squats. And start using briefs or a suit when you squat.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Mel Siff compilation
    http://staff.washington.edu/griffin/squat_research.txt

Probably a search of the Supertraining listserve archives would probably trn up some stuff, but I don't have time right now.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum08
    evidence?
    Torque is maximized at the knees if you only go to parallel. Going below parallel will shift the torque to the hips.

This is why you never, ever want to catch any olympic lift and stay at parallel; you only want to catch in a squat (regular clean or snatch) or well above parallel (power clean...).

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Find a local powerlifting club and contact a powerlifter. Find out where they train and almost any powerlifter will not have a problem checking your form and giving tips.

99% of trainees do not squat properly, and it can literally take months to perfect proper squat form.

Most people squat downward first, instead of back and down, this places the load forward which can put more strain on parts of the body that shouldn't be getting that strain.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Quote Originally Posted by ElPietro
    99% of trainees do not squat properly, and it can literally take months to perfect proper squat form.
    Not months, years. Many years.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ElPietro
    Find a local powerlifting club and contact a powerlifter. Find out where they train and almost any powerlifter will not have a problem checking your form and giving tips.

Most people squat downward first, instead of back and down, this places the load forward which can put more strain on parts of the body that shouldn't be getting that strain.

I like this answer. Since I started training in a commercial gym recently for my raw work, I have seen some very interesting "squat" form. I cringe at the site of most of it, but so far I have bit my tongue. Soon I might have to step in.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL