The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Changes in life: how to maintain with little to no free time?

Sorry about this being my second post, but I am in need of some advice. Basically, here is the story-I am currently in my second year of med school where I now have little to no time to work out (let alone sleep). I can get in the gym for about an hour a day, but nothing more. I was wondering how I could maintain the muscle I have put on over the years... increase my intensity?

I used to go for 3 hours or so, worked great for me. Now, I am going in 3-4x a week, 1 hour sessions, and have noticed diminishing strength. I would like to keep what I have built up and am willing to try something new. Any ideas?
    Last edited by basupran; 03-09-2006 at 08:49 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

3 hrs a session!? waste of time, an hour a day for 4 days a week is fine
    try 5 x 5, that works really well for me, you should definately continue gaining strength
    Last edited by BaggedE30; 03-09-2006 at 08:50 AM.
    23 yo 6 2", 258lbs

Feb' 06......................................Mar' 06......july 06
    bench 270lb x 1..........................275x3........315x4
    deadlift 260lb x 1........................275x1........418x1
    db shoulder press 88x3................94x3..........100x7
    atf squat - ...............................................308x5

Quote Originally Posted by basupran
    Now, I am going in 3-4x a week, 1 hour sessions, and have noticed diminishing strength.
    If you can't significantly improve with 3-4 hours of training per week, you're not training correctly.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Wannabebig Member
    Hmm, 3-4 hour sessions have worked great for me. I have been training for 6 years (26yrs old) and have made appreciable gains. I am 5'7", used to be 125 lbs, now weigh around 180 (was 195 before I started med school), benched 315 for reps and 365 was max I tried. Creatine and whey only. What I have done has worked in my humble opinion.

3 hour sessions have worked great for me; I used to snack in between (keep from going into significant catabolic mechanisms). My problem now is that I have dropped in strength to a certain point. I am scared that I will get weaker and weaker.

To rephrase the question: does more intense training (ie less time between sets) have the same results for you guys in terms of strength? Any examples of 1 hour routines that have worked well? I don't want to be skinny again!!!!

Dude, the vast majority of the people on this site, and the routines on this site, use 45 min - 1.5 hour workouts. Intensity rules. If you can lift for 4 hours, you're not lifting hard enough. Or, y'know. You're using something a little stronger than whey protein.

Don't ask for a lighter load. Ask for a stronger back.

what reps are you using? i would lower them to preserve your strength. I just started the 5x5 and i can get it done in about and hour (expect leg day which goes a little longer).

You are right about the less rest inbtw sets to up the intensity.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

Good luck with med school .. make a muscle building break through other than gear for us... okay?
    "it's you against you, it's the paradox that drives us all"

6'1", 206, 11.5%
    Bench: 285
    Squat: 275
    DeadLift: 335
    -------------
    Total: 895 and moving up.

Check my progress and read more in My Journal.

If you have an hour a day to train, IMHO you have A LOT of time. Many, many powerlifters manage on a lot less training time than 7 hrs./week...
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by basupran
    Sorry about this being my second post, but I am in need of some advice. Basically, here is the story-I am currently in my second year of med school where I now have little to no time to work out (let alone sleep). I can get in the gym for about an hour a day, but nothing more. I was wondering how I could maintain the muscle I have put on over the years... increase my intensity?

I used to go for 3 hours or so, worked great for me. Now, I am going in 3-4x a week, 1 hour sessions, and have noticed diminishing strength. I would like to keep what I have built up and am willing to try something new. Any ideas?
    Check out the WBB routines. Lift heavy on these routines (4-8 reps) and you'll maintain just fine.

Someone has in thier sig.."Intensity caps duration every time."

It's a good way to think, in terms of training. 3 hours in the gym is ridiculous, and totally pointless.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

But remember that shorter rest times will usually mean less weight or repetitions during the following set. To be honest I don't think you'll need to have long workouts at all to preserve strength. Literally I think if you wanted to preserve your bench stats all you'd have to do was maybe 2 working sets of bench per week. Of course keep those sets with pretty low repetitions (I wouldn't go over 5 reps).
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

3 hours is way too long. I spend only slightly more time than that in the gym each week and I still make great strength and size gains.

And while 125-180 (or even 195) is great progress, you could certainly have gained much more weight in 6 years.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur