Thread: Zercher Squats.. ?

Zercher Squats.. ?

I dont understand what the heck everyone is talking about with Zercher Squats.. the only description that I have seen of them was when you put your hands in a contracted barbell curl position and place the bar in your elbow joint.. but I cant imagine this because it would be tough to keep your hands in that position AND it would HURT your elbows... even with a pad. I cant imagine that.. I am doing legs today and I could honestly probably do Zerchers without a squat rack if this is really what they are..

You've got the description right Monstar.Zerchers are an exercise where you have to get accustomed to the pain; kind of like when the bar cuts into your back doing high-rep squats.

Bespoke Super Mod
    They are an excellent variation of the squat that help to build up the hips, glutes ,abs amongst other things
    "A + B + C = Success if, A = Hard Work, B = Hard Play, C = Keeping your mouth shut" -Albert
    Einstein

I've always gone to the gym with the conviction that I'll be the hardest working mother****er in the joint. Make that your credo, and hope we don't lift at the same place.
    -- Adam Fahy

"Fran is a double-hard bastard"- Clint Brewer 31/12/02

Are they worth the pain though?

If the weight is in front of you in a Zercher squat, would it be more of an alternative to the front squat than a back squat? Are there really any advantages to it over the front squat?

Zerchers seem to hit the quads,hips and glutes about the same as front squats(since you can go really low with a fairly upright posture), but the abs and low back muscles seem to come into play more also.Probably from stabilizing the weight.I prefer front squats over any other type of squat, but that's just me.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Zechers=ace!!!

I can't really compare them to another exercise. They are very different than most of what you have probably tried. They don't bother my arms much at all and mine are tiny. Of course, I'm a little rougher when it comes to exercises than the Baywatch pretty boys we see in the gym doing like 15 different ab exercises with his bandana on, lol.

I think they are definitely worth trying.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Originally posted by LATMAN
    . Of course, I'm a little rougher when it comes to exercises than the Baywatch pretty boys we see in the gym doing like 15 different ab exercises with his bandana on, lol.

LMAO

He's not kidding. We did a full flown back and bi workout, and this joker was there longer than we were, doing strictly abs.

I bet that guy does a cardio/abs/cardio split, then eats celery and bean sprouts as a post "training" meal.

Zerchers are awesome! They are one of my favorite excercises. IF you do them with a pad it can limit the amount of weight your arms can hold. It only took me about 4 or 5 workouts to get used to the pain in the arms. Since then I've hit 345 or so and it didn't hurt as bad as the first time i tried with 185
    Everyone should do zerchers
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

can somebody give a link to this exercise please?

Bespoke Super Mod
    Yes, they are ace and you will get a good carry over into your deads and squats

Here is a link with different variations of the Zercher
    http://www.olympus.net/personal/cablebar/Zlift.htm

Oh what fun...
    "A + B + C = Success if, A = Hard Work, B = Hard Play, C = Keeping your mouth shut" -Albert
    Einstein

I've always gone to the gym with the conviction that I'll be the hardest working mother****er in the joint. Make that your credo, and hope we don't lift at the same place.
    -- Adam Fahy

"Fran is a double-hard bastard"- Clint Brewer 31/12/02

Thanks guys.. so whatsup what do you all think? How do Zerchers compare to leg presses? I mean right now I am doing leg ext., leg presses, and leg curls... should I go with Zerchers instead of leg presses?

I find zerchers hit the glutes and hams more then leg presses. For a great full body excercise do zerchers. For something to target the quads more do leg presses.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Wannabebig Member
    i did them for the first time on saturday and loved them! very hard and the pain on my bis was not bad at all. i didnt use a pad or anything.
    It's not quantity, it's quality!