Thread: Weight loss = Zero on Deficit

Weight loss = Zero on Deficit

Is weight loss totally dependant on Calorie deficit?

My maintenance cals are around 3k-3500cals/day. I bulked on 4k/day gaining about 1lb each week.

My diet hasn't been the greatest in the last 2 months, but I doubt I am eating at maintenance every day. I have stayed around 200-201lbs for 2 months.
    Have I been hitting 1.5g protein per LBM? Maybe...
    Have I been hitting .5g fat per LBM? Probably not.
    Have my cals been anywhere near 3k/day. Not likely.
    Do I still lift? Yes. upper/lower horz/vert 4times/week

Will my protein and fat intake determine if I lose weight or not?Since my diet has been substandard, I would expect to lose some weight, even if it was LBM.
    Could I be losing LBM and gaining fat? Therefore staying the same weight on the scale?
    Staying the same weight for 2 months while trying to cut is odd to me.

Could I not be eating enough? My recovery times haven't increased due to inproper nutrition it seems.

My diet is most likely the cause, but it's odd that I haven't lost anything at all (that I know of).

Thoughts?

Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    Way to much margin for error in your post... Basically your entire post is based upon what you feel and not upon fact.

Do this - Weigh Yourself Today, post weight and post diet. Post your diet for one week using FitDay and then come back and weigh yourself. This should tell us everything, so long as you are accurate and consistant.
    Last edited by ArchAngel777; 03-10-2006 at 09:06 AM.

Last time I posted in Fitday, my cals were barely hitting 2500/day. My diet hasn't changed much since I last entered food into fitday.
    I weigh 201lbs.

I know what I had to eat to bulk, and I haven't even been eating close to that amount of food to even hit maintenance cals. I should know, I ate that amout for 6months and used fitday80% of my bulk.
    I eat the same foods now, just less of it.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Quote Originally Posted by muscleup
    Is weight loss totally dependant on Calorie deficit?
    Yes. I lost 83lbs and quite often cheated with brownies and cookies. At one point I was eating pizza and drinking coke every day.

Will my protein and fat intake determine if I lose weight or not?
    No. It could effect *what* you lose though. Meaning you could lose muscle if you eat a really small amount of protein.

Could I be losing LBM and gaining fat? Therefore staying the same weight on the scale?
    Very unlikely.

Could I not be eating enough?
    Unlikely. It is possible to supress you metabolism though so you need to knwo what your maintenance cals are so you can create the proper deficit.
    Last edited by Holto; 03-10-2006 at 09:18 AM.

Holto, I bulked on 3600-4000cals a day roughly gaining 1lb each week.
    I figure my maintenance should be 500 or so below my bulking number.
    That would = 3000-3400? Correct?
    So a cal deficit would most likely be around 2500-2900cals/day.

And if my motabalism slowed down, my deficit cals could be lower than 2500/day? I seriously doubt my deficit cals are lower than 2500/day.
    What do you think?

Yes,yes and yes.

Grasshoppa
    Eat less.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Holto, if those numbers are under your name were your weights that's super impressive (assuming the 260 is at a reasonable BF%) How long did that take you and were you assisted?

Quote Originally Posted by eatit
    Holto, if those numbers are under your name were your weights that's super impressive (assuming the 260 is at a reasonable BF%)
    It's not. I'm a cutting genius and bulking moron. A bulking diet for me is Maintenance+ 2 Tic Tacs. I sent you a PM.

I'm going to eat at 2500/day for this week and see if I lose anything. If I don't, I am going to be really hungry for the next 3-4 months...lol

If you can stick with your diet for a few weeks without cheating, your appetite WILL supress. Also, be sure to focus on higher fiber and high protein foods.

Cutting too low will only hurt you in the end as it will ruin your metabolism for a while.

If necessary, supplement with small amounts of caffeine and ephedrine as it truly does suppress appetite and is not hype like most products are. I would not recommend this right off the bat though. I would only start using these after you've hit a plateau with your diet.