The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned
    Seated decline hammer curls. Works for me.

Here is a nasty super set for biceps:

Do 4-6 reps of close-grip chin ups (or close grip pulldowns, if you are not strong enough to do the chin ups), rest 8-10 seconds, and then do 8-10 reps of incline dumbbell curls.

Do five sets, resting approximately 2 minutes between sets, and I guarantee you there will be no way you can bend your elbows for at least 5 days without feeing extreme soreness.

Here is what is happening: When you are doing the chin-up, the origin is at the elbow and the insertion is at the shoulder. Then, when you do the incline dumbbell curls, it is the opposite: the origin is at the shoulder and the insertion is at the elbow.

Mechanically, you are doing two extremes and you are inducing fiber damage beyond belief.

For triceps, you can superset weighed dips with overhead triceps extensions. Do 5 reps of weighted dips, rest 8-10 seconds, and then do 10-12 reps of overhead triceps extensions with a rope.

Rest 2 minutes and repeat. Do a total of 5 sets and you will not be able to brush your hair for a few days.

Again, because of varying arm position in these two movements, you have the elbows below the shoulders in one movement and the elbows above the shoulders in the next.

The pain is quite exquisite.
    The difference between the freaks and the flock is the ****ing fork!
    You wanna gain weight? Then it's time to squat!

Quote Originally Posted by jkirkpatrick
    Seated decline hammer curls. Works for me.
    you must mean incline. there is no way you can do a seated decline anything.

Quote Originally Posted by kingkrs
    Here is what is happening: When you are doing the chin-up, the origin is at the elbow and the insertion is at the shoulder. Then, when you do the incline dumbbell curls, it is the opposite: the origin is at the shoulder and the insertion is at the elbow.
    Okay, I'm kinda confused. As I understand origin and insertions: Origin of a muscle is on the immoveble bone, and the Insertion is on the moveable bone. So for biceps brachii the O: above the glenoid fossa; coracoid process of the Scapula. I: is the Radial tuerosity. This can't change.

NOW, what I think your talking about the differerent lever systems. BB curls use third-class levers (Load(bb)> Fulcrum(elbow)> effort(biceps)).

For chins it uses Second-class lever systems (Effort(lats/biceps)>Load(bw)>Fulcrum(elbow). So thats why they are both benificial but chins are surperior because they cross multiple joints.

I think thats what you were getting at, not sure.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

Banned
    I dont see why many people think chin-up's are so great for biceps. IMO chin-ups are awesome for your back, but not that great for your biceps.

Standing Barbell Curls i think is best for biceps.

DB Hammer curls for the win

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth19
    I dont see why many people think chin-up's are so great for biceps. IMO chin-ups are awesome for your back, but not that great for your biceps.
    Do 6 sets of chins to failure and you'll see why they're awesome for biceps
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

Why not do both? maybe do 3x8 of barbell with heavy weight then move to some dumbells to make sure you nuke both arms out. Keep in mind though if you have a good back routine you will have some strong biceps

Do 4-6 reps of close-grip chin ups (or close grip pulldowns, if you are not strong enough to do the chin ups), rest 8-10 seconds, and then do 8-10 reps of incline dumbbell curls.

Do five sets, resting approximately 2 minutes between sets, and I guarantee you there will be no way you can bend your elbows for at least 5 days without feeing extreme soreness.
    I wouldn't be quite so dramatic about it, but yes, do chins and curls. Problem solved.

Biceps are indeed biarticulate (tri- including forearm rotation), and you definately want to work them via both elbow and shoulder flexion. It's hard to maxmize the load on the biceps with just chins, so doing some heavy curls is good too.

n.b., I typically do a "bicep" workout of about 50 chins/pullups to start, and then curls. It takes 15 minutes and I can do it in my living room.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Look all, just try the routine and you will see. I read about this just the other day and I tried it and was really sore as predicted. You have to do the supinated chins (palms facing you) with a 4 second lowering to full extension, then back up. You are working the bicep from two different places. Yes the levers are different causing the stress to the bicep.

This is a Charles Poliquin routine and I must say it does work to kick start some new growth.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Go on the leg extention. Pump out 15 reps. Stand up immediately and do 15 free squats with slow negatives. Take 2 mins rest and do this for 5 sets.

You will feel VERY sore after. This hasn't done **** however. Soreness is an indicator of essentially nothing.

Also, I do upper body 2x a week. So doing enough bi's so they are sore for 5 days would detriment my workouts.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Mechanically, you are doing two extremes and you are inducing fiber damage beyond belief.

For triceps, you can superset weighed dips with overhead triceps extensions. Do 5 reps of weighted dips, rest 8-10 seconds, and then do 10-12 reps of overhead triceps extensions with a rope.

Rest 2 minutes and repeat. Do a total of 5 sets and you will not be able to brush your hair for a few days.

Again, because of varying arm position in these two movements, you have the elbows below the shoulders in one movement and the elbows above the shoulders in the next.

The pain is quite exquisite.
    I do my arms once a week. I like this routine you have but I was wondering how long you are supposed to do this routine for? 2 weeks? 4 weeks? 6 weeks?

I am in need of a good arm blasting routine.

Quote Originally Posted by Burner27
    I do my arms once a week. I like this routine you have but I was wondering how long you are supposed to do this routine for? 2 weeks? 4 weeks? 6 weeks?

I am in need of a good arm blasting routine.
    Six weeks is about right, after that you are in need of a change. I currently am almost done with this routine and will be doing some volume training that I read from Charles Poliquin.

Let me know how this routine works for you.

Oh yeah, when you do the chins and the dips, lower yourself in 4 seconds nice and controlled. It will add to the overall effect.

Once a week is fine for this routine? Chins are palms facing towards you, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Burner27
    Once a week is fine for this routine? Chins are palms facing towards you, right?
    Yes and Yes. Keep your hands about 8 inches apart when doing the chins.

I do a five day split, for me that is once per week. like this:
    day on
    day on
    day off
    day on
    day off
    repeat

So doing this workout I do get sore the next day but it is not so severe that I will not be able to do my other body parts. If I was that sore then I would just take another day off.