The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

A Question about Military Press

Does it take a longer time to increase your military press numbers than most lifts ? i.e. You can probably add 5-10 lbs. on your deadlift every 2 weeks or something... but not with Military press?
    5'7 425 lbs. 85% bodyfat Need to gain 20-40 lbs.

New journal - http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=86957 Boring I know, but whatever.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnySadMan
    Does it take a longer time to increase your military press numbers than most lifts ? i.e. You can probably add 5-10 lbs. on your deadlift every 2 weeks or something... but not with Military press?
    I doubled my mil. press in 3 months. Like anything else, it just takes practice.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Think percentages. 5% increase on Millies will almost always be far less than 5% increase on deads, so what you said is correct.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Okay, now another question. What would be a good 1rm for Military Press in comparison to your bodyweight ? 100% of bodyweight maybe ?
    5'7 425 lbs. 85% bodyfat Need to gain 20-40 lbs.

New journal - http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=86957 Boring I know, but whatever.

3:16
    I wish i could add 5-10 pound to my deadlift every two weeks.

thats means I could gain 250 pound in a year.

your just doing well on your dead at the moment, those gains will slow down eventaully.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnySadMan
    Okay, now another question. What would be a good 1rm for Military Press in comparison to your bodyweight ? 100% of bodyweight maybe ?
    Depends on how much you weigh.

Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    If you are not obese, then being able to do a strict military press of your body weight is a very good goal. It puts you into the "strong" category.

Strict = No arch, Locked legs, Dead Stop. So no cheating... I have seen so many people cheat doing them and then thing they are really strong... Well, they might be strong, but they still cheated

I have to be really careful when I do mine, because I seem to pinch a nerve in my neck each time I go heavy and it results in an extremely sore neck for the next 3 - 5 days. So, even lately It looks like Olympic Lifting isn't going to work for me, unless I figure out how not to strain that muscle in my neck. It is always the left main muscle at the back of the neck.
    Last edited by ArchAngel777; 03-11-2006 at 10:35 AM.

How many of you do MP standing? I try and use the military press bench...it has a rack behind your head for the bar, a seat in a straight up and down position, and a foot rest on it. The trouble is I work out alone and have a hard time unracking the weight. I was thinking of trying them at the squat rack standing.....
    God created liquor to keep the Irish from conquering the world.

Quote Originally Posted by BostonBull
    How many of you do MP standing? I try and use the military press bench...it has a rack behind your head for the bar, a seat in a straight up and down position, and a foot rest on it. The trouble is I work out alone and have a hard time unracking the weight. I was thinking of trying them at the squat rack standing.....
    I used to do them standing without the rack- but my toughest problem was getting the weight up from the ground to my chest. I need to start learning cleans....

But I do them at the military press station (same as you described minus a foot rest) now as I feel they isolate my shoulders more- it doesn't let me cheat with my back. Right now I don't have a hard time getting the weight up- but I am only repping like 95-105 with about 3 or 4 sets of 6-8 (depending on how I feel that day). I only weigh 140 or so, but I hope to be maxing at 140 within 3 or 4 months. Can't wait to max on milli press in a few weeks to see where I am with it!
    18 Years of Age

5'7'' 140 lbs---Now 148

As of Feb. 2006------As of April 2006------As of July 2006

Bench- 155 x 2------170 x 1--------------Not Tested
    Squat- 200 x 1 (parallel)------Untested-------205 x 1 (Ass to Grass)
    Dead- Untested------235 x 2-----------250lbs x1 (3 sets of this)

I havent maxed yet but I am repping 155 with no probs its just tough to take the weight off the racks behind my head and then pull the 6" forward to the starting position.
    God created liquor to keep the Irish from conquering the world.

Awesome man.

Yeah I know how that goes with bench- its tough for me to get much weight off without a spotter.

If you go non bench just be careful about using your back or legs to cheat much...if you can get the weight up to starting position and watch form then you can do it nonbench without a problem.
    Last edited by TechMetalMan; 03-11-2006 at 03:34 PM.
    18 Years of Age

5'7'' 140 lbs---Now 148

As of Feb. 2006------As of April 2006------As of July 2006

Bench- 155 x 2------170 x 1--------------Not Tested
    Squat- 200 x 1 (parallel)------Untested-------205 x 1 (Ass to Grass)
    Dead- Untested------235 x 2-----------250lbs x1 (3 sets of this)