The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Shoulda been a meso... puny_ectomorph's Avatar

Assistance exercises

Good morning all,

I've been considering switching from my current full-body, 2x a week routine (A day: squats, benches, powercleans, B day: deadlifts, BO rows, DB benches) to a standard 3-days-a-week powerlifting type (squat monday, bench wednesday, deads friday). This is mostly due to my having problems continuing to add bulk, and because my three core lifts need some major work.

I'm currently benching 160 for 5 reps, squatting 235 for 5 reps, and deadlifting 245 for 5.

My question is concering assistance exercises. I have a vague idea of what my weak points are, but am not sure what exercises and what set/rep range I should use for them. I use 5x5 for the core lifts.

My weak pts are as follows:
    Bench: tris and delts are very weak, perhaps the weakest part of my body
    Squat: abdominals, adductors (groin muscles), lower back (the spinal erectors, I think?)
    Deadlift: I'm not sure; my deadlifts have progressed well and I have not detected any inherent weakness yet, however my traps may need work

Suggestions and advice would be very welcome.

-p-
    Last edited by puny_ectomorph; 03-12-2006 at 09:12 AM.
    Stats:
    height 5'10
    weight 187

Currently dl'ing 255 for 3 reps x 8 sets
    Goals:
    350 lb deadlift by Feb. 2007

"Squats and milk and nevermind if the principle is twenty years old." -Randall J. Strossen

"They don't know much about nutritional science, but they know enough to stick to the three basic food groups: Tex-Mex, Cajun and ranch." -Paul Kelso

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Bench assistance: Any close grip pressing and extensions would be good. Also some overhead pressing (if your shoulders can handle it) any kind of rowing for the lats and some light shoulder work.

Squat/DL assistance: GMs, GHR, RDL, pullthroughs, heavy ab work.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220