Thread: Just protein shakes

Wannabebig Member

Just protein shakes

Now i know this is proberly a stupid question but im just really curious if you would just take like 6/7 shakes a day and that was it, maybe had a bit of salad and drank some more water - what would it do? Seen as it has the carbs, Protein and bit of fat, doesn't seem 'bad' to me but im guessing it's not gonna do you any good or am i wrong? Id like sum feed back on it please..

Shouldn't matter... cals are cals, but you need some fiber in your diet.

A co-worker of mine went on some perscription diet that was all liquid. I don't have the nutritional information for what he was drinking, but he said he was always hungry.

Your bathroom experiences may not be that pleasant... you better buy some flushable baby wipes. LOL!

Wannabebig Member
    After a couple of days I would be so sick of protein shakes I would never want to drink one again. And what BAJA said, your bathroom experiences will leave you unhappy. Plus you wouldnt get enough fat in your diet.

you could add EVOO to the shakes to make up for the lack of fat, have some fruits and veggies throughout the day, and it'd be ok

I would miss chicken, steak, and seafood way too much tho
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

I haven't had solid food since sunday. Chase ONLY drinks shakes. It's perfectly fine. If you're worried about poo, take a fiber supplement. For fat, add olive oil, flax oil, or take fish oil caps. I have 10 46-55g protein shakes per day and 10fish oil caps. That's it.

Every 2 weeks I do a refeed. The first day is 7xBW in carbs, BW protein, and ~50g fat. The second and third day of the refeed is approx 150-200g carbs, BW protien, and ~50g fat.

You'll drop fat VERY fast. If you're looking to recomp (depending on you're phenotype and how you digest carbs and use insulin) you could do the exact thing I'm doing, except take in possibly a bagel with you're morning shake, 1/2 cup rice with your lunch shake, and an apple before and after your workout. That should allow for a nice recomp. Protein should be kept between 1.5-2.0g/lb bodyweight.

just my $0.02
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJake
    I haven't had solid food since sunday. Chase ONLY drinks shakes. It's perfectly fine. If you're worried about poo, take a fiber supplement. For fat, add olive oil, flax oil, or take fish oil caps. I have 10 46-55g protein shakes per day and 10fish oil caps. That's it.

Every 2 weeks I do a refeed. The first day is 7xBW in carbs, BW protein, and ~50g fat. The second and third day of the refeed is approx 150-200g carbs, BW protien, and ~50g fat.

You'll drop fat VERY fast. If you're looking to recomp (depending on you're phenotype and how you digest carbs and use insulin) you could do the exact thing I'm doing, except take in possibly a bagel with you're morning shake, 1/2 cup rice with your lunch shake, and an apple before and after your workout. That should allow for a nice recomp. Protein should be kept between 1.5-2.0g/lb bodyweight.

just my $0.02
    So what does that look like calorically? Do you mean it's 500g~ protein, 10g~ fatf?
    Poo is also LBM - The Built

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJake
    Jake,

What do you mean by "refeed"? And what's the purpose of 7x of carbs on the first day? Is that in grams? That seems like a lot of carbs... over 1400g for me! I've heard the term "carb cycling", but don't know what it is... is this it?

^^
    You need to read up on carbohydrate overconsumption whilst being chronically glycogen depleted. Goto www.bodyrecomposition.com

To sum it up: "What's that? I can eat a ****load of food for 24 hours and not get fat? Sweet!"
    Last edited by brickt.; 03-11-2006 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brickt.
    So what does that look like calorically? Do you mean it's 500g~ protein, 10g~ fatf?
    yeah, I have two different types of protein I take though, so with 10 shakes, it ranges anywhere from 45g per shake, to 55g per shake. that means anywhere from 450g/day to 550g/day. + 10g fat from fish oil. That means 1890-2290 cals/day.

Somewhere in between there.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

^^
    You need to read up on carbohydrate overconsumption whilst being chronically glycogen depleted. Goto www.bodyrecomposition.com

To sum it up: "What's that? I can eat a ****load of food for 24 hours and not get fat? Sweet!"
    At first glance yes. After quite a few refeeds you learn that's not quite the case. You can eat a **** load of CERTAIN food and not get fat. If you allow your fat intake to get too high, you just start storing it again. I generally do the 24hour refeed @ 6-7x BW in carbs. (start thursday night post-workout, end friday night). Carbs I take in: lots of bagels, ****load of pasta, and boxes of cereal. Oh, and lots of potatoes with fake butter. I once did a 8000cal refeed with only 15g fat. I actually had to add peanut butter and fish oil to the refeed because I didn't want my fat intake TOO low.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

So what kinda deficit are you at with 2000cals~ a day?

Ninja Edit: Yeah, I should change it to: "You can eat a ****load of food and not get fat... if you know exactly what you're doing."

^^

That site looks like it has a lot of good info... I'll have to spend some time reading through it. Thanks.

Deficit would depend on how you use calories/maintenance cals. For me, I'd say probably 500/day deficit?

The difference is that it's all protein. All your energy comes from the transformation of protein into glucagon. I believe I read somewhere that 35% of protien turns into glucagon which is called glucagon-e-osis or something. I'll read it again and let you know if you really want to know. If you're like me and a fatty naturally, then you have insulin resistance meaning you store alot of the carbs that come in. So, don't have them. By not having them, and creating a higher emphasis on protein, you not only spare muscle, but you drop fat so fast because you're actually using ALL the cals you intake.

That's my general concensus on this.
    Last edited by JSully; 03-12-2006 at 08:41 AM.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season