Thread: Best work out schedule...

suprarob

Best work out schedule...

I do full body workouts. M/W/F. I rotate Deads/P-Ups/Dips 5x5 with Squats/B-Press/Rows every other w/out. However I had to leave town for a week and could not w/out. When I came back I noticed a nice size increase when I worked out again. I feel the spacing helped not hurt me. So I am considering 2 days rest between each w/out.(M/Th/Sun/Wed/Sat/Tue/Fri/Mon/Th/Sun for example)
    Is this better for us older guys???

Thanks,Rob.

suprarob
    Quote Originally Posted by Built
    It's better if it feels better and it works better.

Define "old".

Umm...I'm your age. Sorry, not real old, just don't seem to recupe as fast as 20's and 30's.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by suprarob
    I do full body workouts. M/W/F. I rotate Deads/P-Ups/Dips 5x5 with Squats/B-Press/Rows every other w/out. However I had to leave town for a week and could not w/out. When I came back I noticed a nice size increase when I worked out again. I feel the spacing helped not hurt me. So I am considering 2 days rest between each w/out.(M/Th/Sun/Wed/Sat/Tue/Fri/Mon/Th/Sun for example)
    Is this better for us older guys???

Thanks,Rob.
    No, that's actually an effect you should exploit.

People focus far too much on recovery between workouts, when it's the accumulated effect over time that leads to the delayed transformation you experienced.

In other words, you wouldn't have seen the size increase after the rest period had you not built up a level of fatigue beforehand.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Yeah pretty much.

Just the workout-to-workout stimulus-rest-recovery wave, but expanded out to encompass weekly and monthly schedules.

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

suprarob
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerManDL
    Yeah pretty much.

Just the workout-to-workout stimulus-rest-recovery wave, but expanded out to encompass weekly and monthly schedules.
    Could you elaborate a little more?

Thanks,Rob.

This image gives a basic idea of what happens:

Basically, the body receives a stimulus, in this case the workout. Then it requires a rest interval to recuperate and adapt to the stimulus, and after this it peaks to a new level of development.

This idea is the root behind most bodybuilders' concept of working a muscle and letting it recover before working it again.

However, as you can see by looking below that, you can organize each of those components into longer phases of work.

Phase I could be a week, it could be 4 weeks, but it's designed to impose a stimulus on the body.

Phase II is designed to let the body recover from the work done in Phase I.

Phase III pushes the body to a new level using the stimulus and time to adapt created by the first two phases.

So in essence, while you weren't necessarily recovering from session to session, what you did manage to do was accumulate fatigue for a period of time (Phase I, stimulus), then rest when you didn't work out for a week (Phase II, recovery), and finally when you started working out again, the body reached a new level (Phase III, adaptation).

So the idea wouldn't so much be to simply increase recovery time, but to plan periods of hard stress, where you intentionally don't recover, and periods of light stress to rest and adapt.

You seem to have stumbled on a very useful way of organizing training without even realizing it

suprarob
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerManDL
    This image gives a basic idea of what happens:

Basically, the body receives a stimulus, in this case the workout. Then it requires a rest interval to recuperate and adapt to the stimulus, and after this it peaks to a new level of development.

This idea is the root behind most bodybuilders' concept of working a muscle and letting it recover before working it again.

However, as you can see by looking below that, you can organize each of those components into longer phases of work.

Phase I could be a week, it could be 4 weeks, but it's designed to impose a stimulus on the body.

Phase II is designed to let the body recover from the work done in Phase I.

Phase III pushes the body to a new level using the stimulus and time to adapt created by the first two phases.

So in essence, while you weren't necessarily recovering from session to session, what you did manage to do was accumulate fatigue for a period of time (Phase I, stimulus), then rest when you didn't work out for a week (Phase II, recovery), and finally when you started working out again, the body reached a new level (Phase III, adaptation).

So the idea wouldn't so much be to simply increase recovery time, but to plan periods of hard stress, where you intentionally don't recover, and periods of light stress to rest and adapt.

You seem to have stumbled on a very useful way of organizing training without even realizing it
    Wow, seems very interesting. I'll give it a go for awhile!

Thanks,Rob.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    So an example would be:

Week 1-2 : 25 sets, 4x a week
    Week 3-4 : 10 sets, 4x a week
    Week 5-6 : 16 sets, 4x a week

??
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Using his workout as an example, he's getting roughly 25 reps per session, three times a week, for a squat/deadlift, a row, and a press, for a weekly total of 75 reps.

Now, assuming that workload/frequency was enough to cause fatigue accumulation as it seemed to, his best bet would be to simply drop the frequency and volume.

So instead of three 5x5 sessions, he could shoot for 1-2 3x3 sessions for a week or two, then go back to the original routine.

To clarify a bit further, in the accumulation phase, the goal is to get the reps, not so much work to bump the poundages, although you can do so. Just that the volume of work takes precedence.

During the recovery phases, you want to drop the intensity a little bit, but drop the volume and frequency a lot. You can then start working to push up the intensity, and gradually build the volume back up.

So in this case, say

Weeks 1-3 - 5x5 M/W/F
    Week 4 - 3x3 F
    Weeks 5-6 - 3x3 T/F

Weeks 1-3 build up a lot of volume. Week four unloads to allow for some rest. Weeks 5-6 keep the volume per session low, but bump the frequency and push up the intensity, ideally to a new peak.

I recommend movement and mobility work for deloading and recovery. I feel much better after good shoulder or hip movement drills.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

That's another option.

I personally just drop the weekly frequency and the volume done per session; I find it helps with stuff that detrains fast, like bench pressing.

Active recovery stuff is certainly an option though.

suprarob
    I'm liking this a lot so far!!!!!
    Rob.

Bulk + Milk
    This is known as periodization, correct?

Because if so, PowerManDL, you've just written one of the most concise, easy-to-understand explanations of the technique I've ever read. I feel like I understand it much better now.
    My journey to a solid 180lbs: Bulk + Milk

PRs / Short-term goals
    Bench: 205x1 / 225x1
    Squat: 275x2 / 315x1
    Deadlift: 365x1 / 365x1

Arnold said it best.. "If I didn't feel like I could push my maximum effort that day in the gym, I didn't go. When I needed to stay home, I stayed home. I didn't want to, but the next day I'd push way more than I would have the day before." I read that years ago, and ignored it many times bc it's the drive in us that makes us hit it too hard and be counter productive when our body should have been resting in the first place. Works both ways though. If you are feeling too rested between your workouts, pick it up. You'll know when you need a day off, and often its when you are too mentally motivated and your body just can't produce. Take the next day off and go from there. I always thought that the set day regimen was bs cuz you don't know how you will feel the next day after squating heavy as hell etc.

More on accumulation/intensification: http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=929615
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by thejuice
    This is known as periodization, correct?

Because if so, PowerManDL, you've just written one of the most concise, easy-to-understand explanations of the technique I've ever read. I feel like I understand it much better now.
    It's one form of periodization, yes.

And I can't take complete credit for the succintness. Most of that has come from Glenn Pendlay and his ideas on the subject.