The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Rebalancing towards upper body

Hi All,

I’m going to ask the standard newbie question here:

How do I build up my upper body as quickly as possible, preferably without building my legs too much more.

Now, before you all type ‘squats’, ‘deadlifts’ and ‘stop focusing on your upper body you’ll look gay’ here’s my situation:

I’m not looking to get huge. I’ve been lifting for about ten months, and over that time I’ve gained about 18 lbs. My legs have always been comparatively well built and they’ve been getting steadily better. At present I’ve only got two pairs of jeans left I can still wear.

However, my upper body hasn’t developed with the same speed. I was reading the thread
    ‘Do my proportions sound okay? (post yours too)’ - http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=76204 and noticed that my upper body was noticeably smaller than other people with similarly sized lower bodies.

My current measurements:

Weight – 137 lbs

Calves: 14 inches
    Thighs: 21 inches
    Chest: 35 inches
    Biceps: 11 inches
    Forearms:10 inches

My short term goal measurements:

Weight: 154 lbs
    Chest -38-39 inches
    Biceps – 14 inches
    Legs – maintain current size or slight increase

Thus I’m looking to add at least three inches to both my chest and biceps (preferably more to my chest). I’ve previously been focusing on one day legs (squats, etc), one day back (d/ls etc), and one day upper body (overhead shoulder press, dips, pull-ups). I’m looking at switching to the following routine:

Day 1 - Deadlifts 5/5/5/3/3
    - Bicep Curls 10/10
    Day 2 - Rest
    Day 3 – Upper Body – Standing shoulder press 8/6/4, Dips 10/10/10, Chins 5/5/5/5/5
    Day 4 - rest
    Day 5 – squats 8/8/8, calf raises 10/10/8
    Day 6 – upper body - Standing shoulder press 8/6/4, Bench 8/8/8, Bicep Curls 8/8/8
    Day 7 - rest

As far as diet goes I eat as cleanly as possible, and aim to get a bit over 3000 calories a day. I recently started getting stretch marks and am going to start supplementing with EFAs, although I already eat a lot of salmon.

So to recap I have a few questions:

1) How can I improve the above routine to maximize my upper body gains?
    2) What is a reasonable time frame to get to 14 inch biceps and a 39 inch chest?
    3) Is there anything else I can do to get as much of a gain on my upper body as possible?

Thanks everyone. Sorry for the long-ass post.

M

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

How tall are you?

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Wannabebig Member
    Knew I left something out - 5'7"

You are not nearly big enough to worry about proportions.

Guess what will make you bigger. If your 21 inch thighs don't fit in your jeans, then you must have a 25 inch waist (or are wearing ladies jeans)
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Nobody in that thread was your size. I'm going to agree with Paul here (surprise, surprise), and say that at your size, you don't need to concentrate on any particular part of your body growing faster than the others - grow the whole f'n thing. Put on 30 lbs, then take some measurements and see what's lagging.

Don't ask for a lighter load. Ask for a stronger back.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the replies.

However, I'm not aiming to get huge. I'm not going for the balanced all over look, I'm going for the beach body. At the moment, I've found that my legs look a hell of a lot better than my upper body. How do I fix this?

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus_h
    ...words... I'm going for the beach body. At the moment, I've found that my legs look a hell of a lot better than my upper body. How do I fix this?
    Legs make or break the beach body (for me, at least). In any case, I agree with everyone who posted before me: you are nowhere near the stage that warrants your worries. Keep doing legs, keep doing your upper body. If anything, do your legs once a week and your upper body twice. Eat like there's no tomorrow, drink plenty of water, and sleep.

You can have your legs compensate for lack of chest with a square-cut bathing suit.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Marcus your missing the Forrest for the Trees.....

At your weight and height you dont have enough development anywhere to warrant problems. Get yourself on the WBB1 routine, eat well, do some moderate cardio. Dont neglect one area now, just keeping pushing. There may come a time where you have to cut back on the leg work, but i wouldnt even think about it until you have 50lbs or more on your frame.

Peace

There's no way your chest will grow as well as it can without leg work. That's the fact of the matter.

Don't ask for a lighter load. Ask for a stronger back.

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny Fat
    There's no way your chest will grow as well as it can without leg work. That's the fact of the matter.
    Explain how bench speialists or even Bench Jockeys have a big chest yet never work legs....... Some of the best chests ive seen are built on guys with stick legs.

The last thing i would do to bring up my chest would be to work legs! Its like learning to play Table tennis with a badminton racket....

Hey, that was my thread you're talking about.

What size is your waist? If you're struggling to get your legs into jeans then your waist must be TINYT. Otherwise, buy new jeans.

The routine is pretty bad. Too random IMO. WBB1 would be better. My upper body has progressed loads just following it. If you wanted to add more upper exercises then you can customise it, but it would definately be more effective than the routine you outlined.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidelmo
    Hey, that was my thread you're talking about.

What size is your waist? If you're struggling to get your legs into jeans then your waist must be TINYT. Otherwise, buy new jeans.

The routine is pretty bad. Too random IMO. WBB1 would be better. My upper body has progressed loads just following it. If you wanted to add more upper exercises then you can customise it, but it would definately be more effective than the routine you outlined.
    WBB1 doesnt need more exercises, if you want to bring up a body part you double the weight your currently using then worry about adding an exercise. because If you can Row with the 120lb db's + im pretty certain your back will not be small! same goes for bench, chins, deadlifts etc...