Hi All,

I’m going to ask the standard newbie question here:

How do I build up my upper body as quickly as possible, preferably without building my legs too much more.

Now, before you all type ‘squats’, ‘deadlifts’ and ‘stop focusing on your upper body you’ll look gay’ here’s my situation:

I’m not looking to get huge. I’ve been lifting for about ten months, and over that time I’ve gained about 18 lbs. My legs have always been comparatively well built and they’ve been getting steadily better. At present I’ve only got two pairs of jeans left I can still wear.

However, my upper body hasn’t developed with the same speed. I was reading the thread
‘Do my proportions sound okay? (post yours too)’ - http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=76204 and noticed that my upper body was noticeably smaller than other people with similarly sized lower bodies.

My current measurements:

Weight – 137 lbs

Calves: 14 inches
Thighs: 21 inches
Chest: 35 inches
Biceps: 11 inches
Forearms:10 inches

My short term goal measurements:

Weight: 154 lbs
Chest -38-39 inches
Biceps – 14 inches
Legs – maintain current size or slight increase

Thus I’m looking to add at least three inches to both my chest and biceps (preferably more to my chest). I’ve previously been focusing on one day legs (squats, etc), one day back (d/ls etc), and one day upper body (overhead shoulder press, dips, pull-ups). I’m looking at switching to the following routine:

Day 1 - Deadlifts 5/5/5/3/3
- Bicep Curls 10/10
Day 2 - Rest
Day 3 – Upper Body – Standing shoulder press 8/6/4, Dips 10/10/10, Chins 5/5/5/5/5
Day 4 - rest
Day 5 – squats 8/8/8, calf raises 10/10/8
Day 6 – upper body - Standing shoulder press 8/6/4, Bench 8/8/8, Bicep Curls 8/8/8
Day 7 - rest

As far as diet goes I eat as cleanly as possible, and aim to get a bit over 3000 calories a day. I recently started getting stretch marks and am going to start supplementing with EFAs, although I already eat a lot of salmon.

So to recap I have a few questions:

1) How can I improve the above routine to maximize my upper body gains?
2) What is a reasonable time frame to get to 14 inch biceps and a 39 inch chest?
3) Is there anything else I can do to get as much of a gain on my upper body as possible?

Thanks everyone. Sorry for the long-ass post.

M