Thread: Intensity: How much is enough

Always bad with diet

Intensity: How much is enough

How intense do you think workouts should be? Do you think you need to be huffing and puffing between sets, or dripping with sweat, or unable to move after a workout? I do my sets, I do my reps, usually as heavy as I can go, but sometimes I'll leave without almost even breaking a sweat. I'll have those days where I cant move my arms, or they feel like they are gonna pop, after the workout, but I wanna know if that really matters.

mr_hand-
    Whatsup bro? Yeah I dont know how to rate intensity. I mean you never really know how much is enough. I mean since I have started working out like 6 years ago my intensity has gone through the roof. I mean it depends I guess, I personally cannot say how much is "enough." I would say to push it to limit without risking injury...

The way you're defining "intensity" is a highly subjective thing. You could work yourself into the ground and not have done anything to spur growth, whereas you might not break a sweat and have provided great stimulation.

I say as long as you're working enough to get stronger, that's all you'll need.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

decease, RIP
    Just give it all you got. I for one sweat more then anyone I have seen in the gym. haha Not that much huffing and puffing though; Dont do that many reps, and rest probably longer then most.

*but I also use more clothes then most;
    Last edited by big; 01-16-2002 at 01:58 PM.

Always bad with diet
    Just wondering.

If you're not about to vomit when you're done with your workout, you're not intense enough.

Well the huffing and puffing seem to me to be related more towards the strength of your heart. And soreness isn't really a way to measure progress either. You're right, it's a tough call. The only way I know how to go is keep a good training log and keep careful track of your steady progress.
    "Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

PowermanDL on Russian culture: "Big furry hats come into play somewhere."

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine

You're right. Hard breathing is more a matter of full-body conditioning (call it cardiovascular fitness or general physical preparedness, whatever) than of "intensity."
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock