Thread: help with sets

help with sets

I am a beginner and was wondering about my finish sets. I am doing a push/pull split. I am concentrating on general lifts such as Lat pull down, bench press and then doing 1 set of isolating such as curl after lat. I'm only able to lift half of what I would do if I only did the curl. I am pushing to failure around 7-9 rep. Am I still being effective with the isolating sets or am I wasting my time? Thanks

MACHINE

Re: help with sets

Originally posted by tother
    I am a beginner and was wondering about my finish sets. I am doing a push/pull split. I am concentrating on general lifts such as Lat pull down, bench press and then doing 1 set of isolating such as curl after lat. I'm only able to lift half of what I would do if I only did the curl. I am pushing to failure around 7-9 rep. Am I still being effective with the isolating sets or am I wasting my time? Thanks
    The goal is to fully stimulate the muscle, exhausting it with proper form. Naturally, one will be able do do less weight when curling if they've just finished doing back work. That's OK, as long as your making progress. Say your doing 20 lb dumbell curls this week. If you can do the same amount of reps with 25 lb dumbells in a couple weeks, you are making progress. Progress is progress, and gains are gains, regardless of the weight used, so keep going the way you are.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560