Thread: Marcy Eclipse Powercage

Wannabebig Member

Marcy Eclipse Powercage

http://www.ukfitnesssupplies.co.uk/m.../ECLIPSE/72937

Spec:

Max loads: rack - 500lb (227kg)
    bench including user - 600lb (270kg)
    lat cable station - 154lb (70kg)

Lets me do sqauts, bench press, lat pulldowns. bench is standalone from squat unit.

What do you think? This seems better than a seperate bench and squat rack, no?

Wannabebig Member
    Looks decent, except that 154 lb. is a little low for a max lat pulldown. You're very likely to outgrow this as you train. However, at that point you might just start doing pull-ups, depending on your BW.
    5'10", 148 lb., 13% BF

Lifts

Bench: 145x3
    Squat: 165x2
    Deadlift: 225x1
    Pull Ups: BW+10 x5

how much is that in USD?
    "Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but nobody wants to lift no heavy ass weight!" - Ronnie Coleman

"You've got to love what you're doing. If you love it, you can overcome any handicap or the soreness or all the aches and pains, and continue to play for a long, long time." -Gordie Howe

Wannabebig Member
    315$. Pullups...i thought about these but is there any way of increasing resistance on widegrip/narrow grip pullups? It would be easier to jus buy a pullup bar.

I was thinking i would outgrow the lat capacity for lat pulldowns but it would still be good for cable back rows and tricep pushdowns. Or do you think i would outgrow 70kg for these exercises too? Thx for the help everyone. I've just bought a 145kg olympic set and i'm looking at what would be the best bench/rack system.

If it were me I would buy a standalone bench and a power rack. More versatile and safer. This is what I've got at home.

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/92563.html

Not the exact model but you get the idea. Chin bar too.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    WOW.

Both look like good deals.

The 2nd one is way safer though.

To add weight to pullups hold a dumbell between your feet then you can get a belt that you can chain weights to.

Wannabebig Member
    i think i'm going to buy the marcy eclipse powercage....anyone gunna talk me out of it before i do....?

i have a marcy bench and squat rack that i got from dicks sporting goods. suck ass quality.
    Bench:225x5, 255x1
    Squat:350x5
    Dead:370x5, 415x1

Balloonhead, you can also purchase a dip belt. Comes very in handy for weighted dips and pull/chin ups.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

When I was searcing for a power rack, two things that always went hand-in-hand were price and quality.

I'll guarantee you that rack doesn't have much of a max capacity. Probably not even 400lbs. You can probably google it a bit, and find a spec sheet for it to find that out.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Wannabebig Member
    iv already listed the specs clearly at the top. 227kg (500lb) max capacity for the rack. that's alot of weight to squat for even the advanced, isn't it??
    Last edited by balloonhead; 03-13-2006 at 08:30 AM.

That's not really much capacity for a power rack. I wouldn't even be able to do low rack squats off that. You could probably spend another $100 and get a 1,000 lb capacity power cage of much higher quality.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by Guido
    That's not really much capacity for a power rack. I wouldn't even be able to do low rack squats off that. You could probably spend another $100 and get a 1,000 lb capacity power cage of much higher quality.
    Sorry I didn't catch the specs at the top. I was cornfused by the GBP.

I agree with Guido..500lbs as a MAX is craptacular. I spent $418 USD on a rack from Parabody, and it's 1000 max.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Wannabebig Member
    my only reasoning is i think i am a long way off squatting 500lbs...so i dont see why i need a 1000lb capactiy?

I have the separate marcy squat rack and bench. bench is rated at 600lbs but doenst feel that sturdy (maybe its the way i put it together :/ its was a PITA to set it up). squat rack is fine, mine is 600lbs which is more than enough for me (600lbs is the max, doesnt mean it will break if you put 601lbs on it, which i probably never will anyway).
    If i had to buy again i would probably go with a flat, non-adjustable bench, for sturdyness. rack is ok, i dont have the room for a cage anyway although at 6'3 im about as tall as you could be with this, any taller and the rach will be too short for you to use.

"i have a marcy bench and squat rack that i got from dicks sporting goods. suck ass quality."

agreed, you may get the excercises that you want out of it.. but you certainly arent gonna feel that nice smooth controlled movments that you will feel from quality equipment.