Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift: Wear a belt or do not wear a belt?

Deadlift: Wear a belt or do not wear a belt?

Last week, I moved up on my deadlift to repping 225.

In a total of about 16 reps in 4 sets since the weight seemed really heavy to me.

This week I was deadlifting 225 again, and I was able to feel an improvement again.

I did 3 set of 5 reps and I wasn't feeling nearly as strained as the week before. Then my friend tells me to put on a belt to help avoid injury...I put it on and when I go to my 4th set the weight never felt so light. I was pretty sure that I can do the same reps as 225 with the belt on a still move up another 20 lbs.

So does the belt decrease the need to use stabilizer muscles and make the weight feel lighter? I noticed that it felt light because when I began lifting the weight and my stomach pushed against the belt, if that makes any sense.

Don't use a belt for basic deadlift training.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Agreed.

no belt. Why use something that limits lower back movement for a lower back exercise?
    "Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but nobody wants to lift no heavy ass weight!" - Ronnie Coleman

"You've got to love what you're doing. If you love it, you can overcome any handicap or the soreness or all the aches and pains, and continue to play for a long, long time." -Gordie Howe

Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngel777
    Agreed.
    agreedx2
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Please elaborate.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

The belt helps stabilze the spine by restraining your inside pressure which makes you stronger via the pneumo-muscular reflex.

Try to avoid the belt at all costs. Too much dependence on the belt will result in a weaker mid-section and your lifts will suffer. (without the belt) So what you can lift a little more with a belt, you are better off without it. Work on keeping your abs tight throughout the lifts and your internal pressure up. If you are going to help your buddy move, are you going to have your belt?

I prefer real usable, functional strength.

I never use a belt for lifting. Sorry I lied... I use a dip belt for dips and pullups.
    Last edited by kingkrs; 03-16-2006 at 03:44 PM.
    The difference between the freaks and the flock is the ****ing fork!
    You wanna gain weight? Then it's time to squat!

Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    Nothing can replace good form.

That is much more important then belts, i never use belts and my deads are fine.

-jordan
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

Well, I guess I'm going to disagree w. the "avoid using a belt at all costs" attitude.

There is debate about whether a belt actually INCREASES your chance of injury when deadlifting. Personally, I don't buy it, but I'd concede that some lifters could be predisposed to injury with the pressure a belt gives.

Using the best form possible on every rep is a given. A belt will not make you weak. Wearing a belt ALL THE TIME probably would. Saving a belt for your heaviest sets should not ruin your progress or your core strength.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    Using the best form possible on every rep is a given. A belt will not make you weak. Wearing a belt ALL THE TIME probably would. Saving a belt for your heaviest sets should not ruin your progress or your core strength.
    Hence my specification of basic deadlift training.

I don't think anyone should use a belt to train higher rep, <80% 1RM for deads. Pulling a max, fine; prepping for a contest, obviously; 5+ rep training to develop strength and musculature, nope.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Well, I guess I'm going to disagree w. the "avoid using a belt at all costs" attitude.

There is debate about whether a belt actually INCREASES your chance of injury when deadlifting. Personally, I don't buy it, but I'd concede that some lifters could be predisposed to injury with the pressure a belt gives.

I respec that, but obviously I dissagree. My feeling is that strength should be as close to functional as possible. If you walk around with a belt, or always have one handy, then I guess I am fine with using it for every day lifts. I have no problem for using it for an extreme heavy set, perhaps doing 1 set with it, one set without, etc... But having a belt attached to you isn't my idea of functional strength.

If the strength I gain in the gym is not transferable to the real world, then crap, no point in doing it, personally. If someone wants me to help them move a couch, I am not going to say "Hold on, let me get my squat suit, knee wraps and my belt"... Not my style, therefore, I don't any of it. When I start to compete (distant future) I am sure I will start using it. But I vow to never use it regularly. Personal decision, really.

I get you Mix.

Arch,
    I take issue w. the idea that because a lifter is wearing equipment, that his/her strength is somehow "less functional" or less "real world". Certainly there is more and less task-specific lifting, but how is adding a belt to heavy sets going to render all gains useless outside of the gym?

Do you think that someone who is deadlifting 5, 6, or 700pounds with a belt is not going to have enough "real world strength" to move a sofa?

Maybe I'm just being defensive, but the whole idea seems preposterous to me.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by getfit
    agreedx2
    Agreedx3
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

I would also like to say that this thread is quite nostalgic! No one has asked a belt question for a long time!

The concept of functional strength is 99% ignorance to begin with, so when someone keeps spouting off that term, I tend to stop listening.

So unless when you are lifting in the real world, everything has weight perfectly distributed on either side, and a bar with the same thickness in the middle there is no "functional" correlation, so please understand the terms you are using before posting.

As for the belt, I have one, and I would only use it on max or near max singles, and that's it. Using it for reps I don't see the point of. I only use a belt to help perhaps lift a very small amount more weight. I do this because I train to compete, and for competitions the numbers are what count.

Does it prevent me from hurting myself? Not directly. However, I could argue that if I'm at the very limit of my strength, and make the lift with the belt, that I wouldn't have without the belt, there is a degree of safety offered by the belt. But this is more because I know that I"m stubborn and don't give up on a lift easily, so I may have injured myself lifting a weight I couldn't have without a belt.

Other than that, I never use my belt. I probably bring it into the gym only a handful of times per year.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Hence my specification of basic deadlift training.
    Wouldn't basic deadlifting include testing your max from time to time?
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Quote Originally Posted by ElPietro
    Wouldn't basic deadlifting include testing your max from time to time?
    Nope. That's intermediate deadlift training.

And even if you do want to max, you still don't really need to use a belt... I never have.
    Last edited by MixmasterNash; 03-17-2006 at 09:35 AM.

I get you Mix.

Arch,
    I take issue w. the idea that because a lifter is wearing equipment, that his/her strength is somehow "less functional" or less "real world". Certainly there is more and less task-specific lifting, but how is adding a belt to heavy sets going to render all gains useless outside of the gym?

Do you think that someone who is deadlifting 5, 6, or 700pounds with a belt is not going to have enough "real world strength" to move a sofa?

Maybe I'm just being defensive, but the whole idea seems preposterous to me.
    Perhaps you are being defensive... But, quite honestly, my mind is made up on the issue and as I noted before, it is my personal opinion. So there really isn't anything to refute here.

As for the sofa, they probably will be strong enough, but it depends on the couch and where it is going, in addition to the angles it has to go through.

And even if you do want to max, you still don't really need to use a belt... I never have.

Have you ever trained and/or competed in a powerlifting meet? If you have that same mentality towards the deadlift then it probably would be a good idea.

You cannot generate the same intra-abdominal pressure without one, so if you are more concerned with absolute numbers, then I'd say it's critical in trying to push your limit as far as it can go.
    Last edited by ElPietro; 03-17-2006 at 09:41 AM.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Have you ever trained and/or competed in a powerlifting meet? If you have that same mentality towards the deadlift then it probably would be a good idea.

You cannot generate the same intra-abdominal pressure without one, so if you are more concerned with absolute numbers, then I'd say it's critical in trying to push your limit as far as it can go.
    No, I mean just for general training.

I did say that you will obviously want to use a belt in a competition.

If you're not competing, then the only reason to use a belt is for safety purposes, and I think this is where the controversy occurs.

Isn't it odd how I love deadlifting, but hate moving couches. Strange.

DJ

Quote Originally Posted by djreef
    Isn't it odd how I love deadlifting, but hate moving couches. Strange.

DJ
    Yep... Lifting real world objects are much more difficult and taxing on the body than lifting balanced weight with perfect areas for grip. Which is why one should work barbell work, different angles and different lifts, attempt to get full range of motion in many of those lifts and just get a wide variety of strength training.

The reason a couch is more difficult is because certain muscles that are skipped in the typical "big three" are being used. If those muscles were trained in the gym, you would find a couch much easier to manage. It will always be more difficult due to the imbalance nature of real world objects, but so long as the strength in both sides is significantly strong and in all areas, couches should be a lot easier.

You will find that functional strength is not 99% BS. There are several people who throw around 25 pound balls and play catch with them. Pick up large sacks in their training, etc... Football players in many aspects are functionally stronger than many power lifters/olympic lifters.
    Last edited by ArchAngel777; 03-17-2006 at 10:07 AM.

The concept of functional strength is 99% ignorance to begin with, so when someone keeps spouting off that term, I tend to stop listening.

So unless when you are lifting in the real world, everything has weight perfectly distributed on either side, and a bar with the same thickness in the middle there is no "functional" correlation, so please understand the terms you are using before posting.

As for the belt, I have one, and I would only use it on max or near max singles, and that's it. Using it for reps I don't see the point of. I only use a belt to help perhaps lift a very small amount more weight. I do this because I train to compete, and for competitions the numbers are what count.

Does it prevent me from hurting myself? Not directly. However, I could argue that if I'm at the very limit of my strength, and make the lift with the belt, that I wouldn't have without the belt, there is a degree of safety offered by the belt. But this is more because I know that I"m stubborn and don't give up on a lift easily, so I may have injured myself lifting a weight I couldn't have without a belt.

Other than that, I never use my belt. I probably bring it into the gym only a handful of times per year.
    I was referring to those that wear their belt for every single lift in the gym. Bench, squat, deadlift, etc.

I agree with you in that only on max singles should such tools be used, however I do not and will not use a belt. My .02

I love my belt. They will have to pry it from my corpse when I'm dead, damnit. I'll never give it up...NEVER!!!! Just for you all, I think I'm gonna wear it for a heavy set of kickbacks with the chrome dumbells at my gym.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by Kiaran
    I love my belt. They will have to pry it from my corpse when I'm dead, damnit. I'll never give it up...NEVER!!!! Just for you all, I think I'm gonna wear it for a heavy set of kickbacks with the chrome dumbells at my gym.
    lol