The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Another Routine question

Hi there, I am new to the site (so maybe it will be a very newb kind of question) and I would like to start to gain some extra weight in muscle. I am currently a bit over 6 feet and about 160-170lbs. I'm a skinny guy. I've been working out before but definitely not a lot. My question is about building a routine that is good for me. I have done a search and read a few of the routine articles, however, most of them are for people who want to gain a lot muscle and weight.

I would like to gain maybe 30-40lbs but stay lean. Mostly, increase my strength as well as endurance. I am just wondering if thats at all possible.

I looked into some of the routines and eating guides but my question was still unanswered.

It is this, if I would like to gain 30-40lbs of muscle but then stay at that weight but increase my strength (if that's possible) and also how would my diet and routine look after I reach my desired weight. So I have a basic idea that at first I will have to eat a lot of proteins, some shakes and work out a lot. What I gathered is that there should be 2 days of rest between the days where I would target the same muscle groups and that I should probably group biceps/back and triceps/chest for upper body. After I gain my desired weight, what should my eating habits look like and how should I decrease my training? Can someone please help me out?

I got the following routine from one of the guides, although I would probably add other exercises to it.

Monday and Wednesday:

Bench Press

Chins

Seated shoulder press

Tuesday and Friday (alternate squats and deadlifts every other week):

Squats

Calf Raises

Would this be a good routine for gaining that extra 30-40 lbs or should I change it?

Thanks, Anton.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    check out the routine "Baby got Back". either go with that or WBB1.

Wannabebig Member
    I know this will sound really stupid but I can't find WWB#1. I have searched for it (maybe my computer is messed up but nothing shows up) Looked in different places and I'm sure that it is in a really obvious place so that when someone points it out, I will feel like an idiot, but please someone make me feel like an idiot

Looks like you have some decent exercises in there. Well done for getting the basics and posting a decent starting routine. It's better than most that are posted here.

Instead of swapping deadlifts and squats, try to do them both in the same week.

Why not:
    monday and wed: as listed
    Tues: squats, calves
    Friday: deadlifts, calves

Also might want to add some sort of exercise for your hamstrings and some sort of rowing for your back.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigspeed
    I know this will sound really stupid but I can't find WWB#1. I have searched for it (maybe my computer is messed up but nothing shows up) Looked in different places and I'm sure that it is in a really obvious place so that when someone points it out, I will feel like an idiot, but please someone make me feel like an idiot
    Okay,
    http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=25

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks guys! Will defnitely read over those and maybe change a few things and post back but my question still remains what to do to keep the weight that I put on without getting much bigger but increasing in strength or stamina.

Edit: So I just read over the WBB#1 and it seems like a very good routine so I think I will try that!
    Last edited by Trigspeed; 03-16-2006 at 05:25 PM.

Eat at maintenance and keep lifting. You'll gain strength to a point.

You'll need to track your diet on something like fitday. If you gain, you're eating too much. If you lose, too little. Simple. You can NOT get bigger unless you eat more than you need.

Wannabebig Member
    Alright thanks guys!

Another question. I know the protein shakes are just supplements but would it be better for me to get them? As in, what kind of benefits do you get from them? Also, what would be a good package to get? I have only read a bit on the Netrean but thats about it.

Wannabebig Member
    Ok, thanks for your guys' help! Much Appreciated.